Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you really need such expensive lens filters?

Default Re: Why do you really need such expensive lens filters?

I have a cheapo vitacon uv filter attached to my lens when I just started out. Ever since I tried a B+W filter, I never went back to using cheap filters anymore. Swear by their quality, seriously. Cleaning also alot easier.

I believe that, if we can spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on lens, why not a little more just to protect our precious baby?

To that point, I have never invested in a lens where the front element is like a fisheye....feel too naked without a filter to protect it.... I heard of ways to protect fisheyes but not sure exactly how.

Quote Originally Posted by galmen View Post
    I'm a newbie too and i wanna ask, whats the price difference roughly in using those cheaper filters like emolux? as compared to recommended hoya or B+W? (i know there are many different models, not wanting the exact figure e.g. emolux $5+ hoya $30++) Please advise, thanks.
    Galmen, don't get me wrong. I'm just replying to TS and ur question. =)

i've heard of b+w coming up to a whopping amount for a filter. But it's all about quality of material. Like many other seniors here have said, would you want to spoil your picture due to bad filter?

Take me as an example, I started photography like 2 months ago and I'm using a HOYA UV filter for my kit lens even though like some of the users here would agreed that they do not use any filter for kit lens.

But to me, it's something i want to protect and I want good pictures. Therefore i don't mind spending on HOYA filter even though it's only a kit lens that i'm using. Would you compromise the cost of a filter for the quality of your picture? I'm sure people who wants good quality captures wouldn't mind spending the extra bit for filter.

Filters are there to protect your lens in the event of accident. In terms of protection, would you wanna risk small money for filter or big money for lens if accidents were to occur?

The HOYA UV filter isn't really that expensive, i only spend like $18 for it at cathay marina square. How costly can a HOYA filter get seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by genobee kai View Post
    I heard of ways to protect fisheyes but not sure exactly how.
    It's the same as for any other lens: care and alertness. It only costs a bit of attention, no $
    EOS

what about tokina filters? they are not very exp as well, are they of reasonably good quality?

Blog Entries

Filters have cheap range, medium range and high end range. All depends on your budget but I would recommend you to get at least a medium range one.

Examples of some popular/well known/notorious brands/models:
    very cheap range: Vitacon, Emolux, Steinzeiser
    cheap range: tokina, Hoya uncoated, hoya both sides coated, Kenko standard, Marumi standard
    Medium economy range: Hoya HMC, , Kenko MC, Marumi DHG,
    Medium high range: Hoya Pro1D, Kenko Pro1D, Marumi Super DHG
    Hi end range: B+W MRC, Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta, Rodenstock, Heliopan

Filter brands are like cars:

Continental cars are expensive and generally perform very very well. Continental cars also have higher and lower models. eg. S-class, A-class.
    Continental cars: B+W, Rodenstock, Heliopan, LEE, Schneider Optics

French cars are ok and reasonably priced but sometimes performance is not the best in certain situations.
    French cars: Cokin

American cars quite a few are very good, but quite a number are lemons. Some are good but just not worth the money.
    American cars: Tiffen, Singh Ray

Japanese cars: some are cheap and perform not so good but better than the ones listed below. medium priced ones are quite good and very reliable. some are top of the line (like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) and perform very well, and some of those top of the line even exceed the performance of continental cars.
    Japanese cars: Nikon, Canon, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi, Tokina

China cars: very cheap, usually copies of more expensive brands, quality depends on the specific car. Some are terrible. But if you find a good one, it will be good and worth many times the low price you pay for it.
    China cars: Tianya

I will stay away from any other brands not mentioned here and the ones below.

Malaysia/Singapore cars: Brands are owned/founded locally in MY or SG. Usually most of the parts are OEM by other companies. Supposed to be very cheap. Salesman always try to tell you it is very good and give you the wrong impression that it is made in Germany or Japan. And will try to sell you at a much higher rip off price. Performance is just so so. Some are totally terrible. Some are not bad.
    Malaysia/Singapore Cars: Steinzeiser, Vitacon, Emolux.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th September 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Posting this again here, hope it helps the newbies when buying filters.

Not all Hoya filters are made equal. Not all Hoya filters are priced equal. Not all Kenko filters are made equal. Not all Kenko filters are priced equal.

Know what you are buying.

Current models...

Hoya (from cheap to expensive):
    Hoya both sides coated (single coating on each side)
    Hoya HMC (Hoya Multicoated - basic multicoating)
    Hoya SMC (discontinued?, Super Multicoated)
    Hoya Pro1D (advanced multicoating optimized for digital)
    Hoya HD (multicoated and hardened, scratch and oil resistant. around price levels of B+W MRC)

Kenko (from cheap to expensive):
    Kenko standard filters (no coating),
    Kenko MC (Basic Multicoated),
    Kenko Pro1D (equivalent to Hoya Pro1D)
    Kenko Zeta (equivalent to Hoya HD)
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th September 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Hi guys, while I too am new and was seeking a good filter for a 17-55mm, I came across this interesting test done by Lenstip.com. Hope this would assist bros who too are seeking to purchase filters for lenses.

http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article...d_summary.html

The chapters to the test are found towards the end of the page. Cheers!

thanks dd123.. those info really helped alot i was given a cheapo emolux filter when i purchased my 550d tho
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Kenko Zeta (equivalent to Hoya HD)
    Oh. I didn't know that these two are comparable. So it should be quite good and cheaper than Hoya HD filters, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Emolux .. might make you 'emo' once you see all the flare and whatnot, caused by the filter. Nomen est omen
    Damn humorous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Oh. I didn't know that these two are comparable. So it should be quite good and cheaper than Hoya HD filters, correct?
    Zeta is only slightly cheaper bro...

If you look at the marketing info, the 2 looks different on paper. But they are almost same thing la. Kenko, Hoya and Tokina are all very closely knitted. They are in the same Keiretsu. You can google "keiretsu" if you don't know what that means.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th September 2010 at 04:49 PM.

From what I've been reading:
    1. Cheap thing not good
    2. Good thing not cheap
    3. Expensive thing not necessarily good

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Zeta is only slightly cheaper bro...

If you look at the marketing info, the 2 looks different on paper. But they are almost same thing la. Kenko, Hoya and Tokina are all very closely knitted. They are in the same Keiretsu. You can google "keiretsu" if you don't know what that means.
    Orh.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    From what I've been reading:
    1. Cheap thing not good
    2. Good thing not cheap
    3. Expensive thing not necessarily good

Quote Originally Posted by JJLoke View Post
    i used my friends 50mm 1.4 prime with a kenko filter.
    For clarity, maybe better to state the type of Kenko filters. I have been using Kenko Zeta Protectors in front of many of my lenses and they are in my experience, one of the better filters in front of my lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12