Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help needed on travel info to angkor wat

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    No need to bring photos as they will take it for you and it is FREE. I mean, inclusive in the USD$40. You can even "make funny faces" as you take the pictures. Quite cool.

Have fun
    yeapyeap. i had my pic taken there also. and i'm glad i did cause i keep the pass for memories and that pic snapped that moment

Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    hi, i be going to angkor wat, cambodia, late june for a wk, with a group of friends. so far we only got airtickets fr silkair (online promotion, got it at $280 when it usually cost $600++) and nothing else. need info on the followings:
    1. which hotel/hostel to stay? budget USD20+ per rm
    2. ur recommeded itnery for 5 days?
    3. info on transport, guide, enterance fees?
    4. any other u think i shd know..

Thanks in advance!

keith
    I spent 5 days in Cambodia myself although it was split evenly between Siem Reap & Phnom Penh.

Hotel that i stayed in Siem Reap was located at No 330 Sivatha Rd. The name if i recall correctly was Chandreas Raksmey. It cost about USD$25 per night. Guide/Driver can be arranged though the reception. The added advatage is the attached cafe where the food proces are cheap and operated by a Singaporean chap. Very nice man.

If you are spending all 5 days in Siem Reap, then take your time to slowly explore the Angkors. Catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat and if you can, try spending one full day there. Sunset @ Phnom Bakheng is also a must although i thought that the sunset @ Angkor Wat was pretty magnificent.

Angkor Thom, where the rest of the temples are located is very very large. You would need a car to get around. Read up and know where you want to go.

Entrance fee: - Get a one week pass for the Angkors. It would be more worthwhile. This pass would cover your entry to Angkor Wat, Phnom Bakheng and Angkor Thom (Where the majority of the temples are located).

Money: - Almost everything is traded in USD so thats what you need to bring but bring small notes. USD$1 or $5. Do not take out large wads of huge notes. By and large, Siem Reap is a pretty lovely tourist town and the crime rate there isn't a big issue but you would still need to be cautious.

Local food: - In the cafes or food joints, alot of them actually put in alot of MSG into the food so if you are allergic to it, you need to let your host know. If you can help it, do not eat at those road side stalls as your stomach might not be able to take it.

That's all taht i can think of for now. Enjoy your trip.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

thanks to all! will get my pic taken there for the temple pass then..haha..seem fun..borrowed a few bks fr lib at the angkor wat..going to need some time to digest the readings n pick up the places i wanna go n do my planning.. thanks! thanks!

Default Visa?

can anyone advises if i can get my visa to cambodia done here n the address? thansk!

if u hold any of the SEA coutry issued passport, then u dun need visa to travel to any SEA country.

can anyone advises if i can get my visa to cambodia done here n the address? thansk!

i did mine at the cambodia high commision at one of the white buildings along beach..but cant remember exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafat
    i did mine at the cambodia high commision at one of the white buildings along beach..but cant remember exactly!
    thanks! just found out that the place is at beach rd..also dunt know where but seem my friend got the address..thanks!

Default to capital?

my friends wanna stay at siem reap for 3 days and head out to phoem pen for 2 days, taking the long boat ride. is it worth the trip? if so, wat to do there n where to stay?

Talking

my friends wanna stay at siem reap for 3 days and head out to phoem pen for 2 days, taking the long boat ride. is it worth the trip? if so, wat to do there n where to stay?
    Take the boat ride, actually, i took the ride from Phnom Penh. Left the jetty at arnd 7am. The view is magnificent. With the sun rising behind the river banks, its really quite increadible. You will pass thru villages, fish traps, fishermans, and smiling childrens. Reallt took my breath away. Starting from Siem Reap, you won't be getting the good light to shoot though cos if you look at the combodia map, you will see that the siem reap end of the tonle sap river is a huge water body. You can't see the other side of the river bank man!! It take about 2 to 3 hours before the banks start to merge. I personally felt coming from Phnom Penh definity provides me with lots more photos opportunties. BTW, if you think the boat travel is going to be horrible, cos its a long journey, my advice is don't give the car travel a miss... its a 100x worst!! Their road conditions really cannot make it. It will take 10 to 15 hours thru "dancing roads".. Its a nightmare... Stick to the boat and get out of the cabin with all you r stuff and go to the top.. where everyone else is at. Best seat is right at the bow. Trust me on this, thats where i sat..

In Phnom Penh, i stay in Capitol Guest house. It was US$6, and you have a nice coffee shop below where you will find many fellow backpackers sharing their adventure.

Hope you have a good time there as i certainly did.

Cheers
    Ferris

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    to the boat and get out of the cabin with all you r stuff and go to the top.. where everyone else is at.
    to keithjee: if u dun mind being baked for aprrox 6 hours in the sun then its alright. i was up there for PP to Siem Reap trip and i regretted but bo pian already cause the boat is already full - in fact VERY VERY OVERLOADED. in fact there were hardly any asians on top... 95% angmos who love a tan.

so for the Siem Reap to PP, i kuai kuai sit índoors below. anyway.. for this direction... the boat is just moderately filled.. altho a few angmos still went up to TAN.

Default smiley!!

hi, i have decided to stay at smiley but i cant get its website or email info from any other website n the lonely planet guidebook. those who have stayed there b4, can you help by providing me with the email or website asap? coz i am leaving this fri morning already!!! thanks thanks thanks!

Default leaving soon..thanks to all!

thanks to everyone here.. going to leave for siem reap on fri day.. all good to go..thanks once again for sharing..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12