Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

  1. #1

    Question Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    it seems the size of the rice is nearly 2cm in length.. longer and slimmer than thai fragrance rice here.. is that a new type of rice or special post processing?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    it seems the size of the rice is nearly 2cm in length.. longer and slimmer than thai fragrance rice here.. is that a new type of rice or special post processing?
    Nothing new about this type of rice. I think you were looking at the Basmati rice, which is used in making Nasi Bryani. The Basmati rice is considered among the best rice and most fragrant rice around. It is rated even better and more expensive than the Thai rice. Though commonly used in making Nasi Bryani, due to the price, not many hawker centre stalls will use it and they usually substitute it with normal rice.
    Last edited by redstorm; 11th September 2010 at 12:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    isn't that basmati rice or something?
    The grains are much longer than the normal rice we eat.
    Like how the japanese have their own type of rice meant for sushi.
    The indians also have their own preferred type of rice to go with their dishes.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Nothing new about this type of rice. I think you were looking at the Basmati rice, which is used in making Nasi Bryani. The Basmati rice is considered among the best rice and most fragrant rice around. It is rated even better and more expensive than the Thai rice. Though commonly used in making Nasi Bryani, due to the price, not many hawker centre stalls will use it and they usually substitute it with normal rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    isn't that basmati rice or something?
    The grains are much longer than the normal rice we eat.
    Like how the japanese have their own type of rice meant for sushi.
    The indians also have their own preferred type of rice to go with their dishes.
    thank you.. learnt something new..

  5. #5
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    hahaha did you add some seasoning or whatever while you cook anot?
    Looks like no soy sauce or sesame oil added when you cooked

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    There are many types of rice:

    In Italy they grow rice that doesn't require that much water

    In Thailand they have one that grows in rivers, and when the river water rises, the stalk grows with it........

    Basmati rice belongs to the long grain type: Indica

    Other Asian countries mainly grow the Japonica type (short grain)

    There is 'black' rice (high in Anthocyanin, making it red or dark red)

    Sticky rice

    Wild rice (original rice, not the cultivated ones that we eat)
    Last edited by hongsien; 11th September 2010 at 03:02 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    hahaha did you add some seasoning or whatever while you cook anot?
    Looks like no soy sauce or sesame oil added when you cooked
    not really.. it's from wiki.. looks nice though..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    I find basmati rice unsuitable for Asian cuisine like Chinese/peranakan food. Too dry and doesn't seem to soak up the juices from the food too well. I would prefer thai hom mali rice anytime. Of course if eating Indian food especially those with lots and lots of spicy sauce/gravy, basmati may be suitable.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    I find basmati rice unsuitable for Asian cuisine like Chinese/peranakan food. Too dry and doesn't seem to soak up the juices from the food too well. I would prefer thai hom mali rice anytime. Of course if eating Indian food especially those with lots and lots of spicy sauce/gravy, basmati may be suitable.
    Taste is acquired.
    Taste is very subjective.
    Presentation also affect taste.
    Price influence taste too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Go India @ vivo, how do they process the rice..

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    it seems the size of the rice is nearly 2cm in length.. longer and slimmer than thai fragrance rice here.. is that a new type of rice or special post processing?
    Normal, lah. Even the Adam Road hawker centre Malay food stalls selling nasi lemak serve long grain rice.
    Go to North Indian restaurants more often.
    While you are there, enjoy Palak Paneer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •