Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

  1. #1

    Default Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Hi all, need some advice for lighting if the photo taken in a ballroom which the celling is too high for bounce flash and there is no wall around. where should i fire the flash ?

    If the flash fire at 90deg direct to subject, will it be too harsh and the background be too darken ?

    I'm newbie, will be shooting in a wed dinner for friend. anyone can give me some tips please, thanks.

    Btw, the gear using is Nikon D90 kit + Di622 w Diffuser.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    Hi all, need some advice for lighting if the photo taken in a ballroom which the celling is too high for bounce flash and there is no wall around. where should i fire the flash ?

    If the flash fire at 90deg direct to subject, will it be too harsh and the background be too darken ?

    I'm newbie, will be shooting in a wed dinner for friend. anyone can give me some tips please, thanks.

    Btw, the gear using is Nikon D90 kit + Di622 w Diffuser.
    Options:

    1. Use a bounce card to bounce the light forward
    2. Use a cap diffuser and shot direct
    3. Use a gary fong diffuser with chrome dome pointing up.
    4. Use a gary fond diffuser with white dome pointing direct forward.

    In each case, you need to dial down the FV to get the correct light and up the ISO to get the ambient light in.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Options:

    1. Use a bounce card to bounce the light forward
    2. Use a cap diffuser and shot direct
    3. Use a gary fong diffuser with chrome dome pointing up.
    4. Use a gary fond diffuser with white dome pointing direct forward.

    In each case, you need to dial down the FV to get the correct light and up the ISO to get the ambient light in.
    Thanks for the tips, anyway where can i get the gary fond diffuser ? how much it cost ?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Hi, u can get gary fong stuff at Cathay Photo. U can also consider alternatives like 3rd party lambency diffuser, it looks like a bowl something like Gary Fong. It works pretty well also.

    Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, anyway where can i get the gary fond diffuser ? how much it cost ?

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, anyway where can i get the gary fond diffuser ? how much it cost ?
    Actually the gary fong diffusers are not favored by me (that is why I list them at the bottom). But if you still want them, you can buy the original garry fong diffusers at Cathay Photo. There are a few different types lightsphere/lightsphere cloud/whale tale/lightsphere collapsible. You can also buy china copies of the lightsphere/lightsphere cloud/whaletale.

    IMHO, I will go for a bounce card. I use the Demb flip-it jumbo.

    You can get some of the diffusers here:
    http://www.sgcamerastore.com/flash-d..._5.html?page=0

  6. #6
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Simple bounce card will suffice in my opinion... don't need the super huge bounce cards even... that will be too harsh too..

    don't be too worried about the rest...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually the gary fong diffusers are not favored by me (that is why I list them at the bottom). But if you still want them, you can buy the original garry fong diffusers at Cathay Photo. There are a few different types lightsphere/lightsphere cloud/whale tale/lightsphere collapsible. You can also buy china copies of the lightsphere/lightsphere cloud/whaletale.

    IMHO, I will go for a bounce card. I use the Demb flip-it jumbo.

    You can get some of the diffusers here:
    http://www.sgcamerastore.com/flash-d..._5.html?page=0

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    Simple bounce card will suffice in my opinion... don't need the super huge bounce cards even... that will be too harsh too..

    don't be too worried about the rest...
    Hi, the Di622 does comes with a small piece of bounce card, does it sufficient enuf ? For your opinion ?


  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    Hi, the Di622 does comes with a small piece of bounce card, does it sufficient enuf ? For your opinion ?

    may not be enuff... try to go for at least a 4 inch size one.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ksl279 View Post
    Hi, the Di622 does comes with a small piece of bounce card, does it sufficient enuf ? For your opinion ?

    Light modifiers that try to disperse light will make the area of light bigger. A small card will cause the light to be more point like making it harsher.

    A small bounce card is useful when the light from the flash is bouncing off the ceiling to provide most of the light. The small bounce card will be sufficient to push enough forward to fill in shadows under the eyes and chin, and to give some catchlights in the eyes. If your ceiling is too high, it may not be enough. Best is to test it out.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need guidance on ballroom lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Light modifiers that try to disperse light will make the area of light bigger. A small card will cause the light to be more point like making it harsher.

    A small bounce card is useful when the light from the flash is bouncing off the ceiling to provide most of the light. The small bounce card will be sufficient to push enough forward to fill in shadows under the eyes and chin, and to give some catchlights in the eyes. If your ceiling is too high, it may not be enough. Best is to test it out.
    Deciding on the size of bounce card can be quite difficult. I agree on testing it out. Alternatively, you can standby a few sizes of bounce cards just to be on the "kiasu" side.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •