Thread: Seagate GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive and GoFlex Products Review

Blog Entries

Default Seagate GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive and GoFlex Products Review

As a full-time photographer requiring a massive amount of digital storage space, Iím always looking for a good external hard drive that will fit my digital storage needs.
    Iím not particularly tech savvy and neither am I a huge IT geek. All I look for is just something that will cater to my storage needs thatís easy to use, convenient and versatile. And spare me the very boring technical details.
    This is where the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive comes in.

Upon receiving the test kit, I immediately saw several useful features.
    With a size of 125mm x 83mm and a glossy exterior, this is one sleek piece of equipment. The small footprint of this ultra portable drive really allows me to maximize limited space I have on my workspace.
    The device comes in 4 colours, allowing the micro-manager in me to categorise each hard drive for my different work eg. one for admin, one for working images archive, one or personal works etc

Apart from the above mentioned, what I like the most about this device is that it leaves spoilt for choice. The hard drive features a built-in USB 2.0 plug which can be upgraded to a USB 3.0, an eSATA or a Firewire plug, all via an external upgrade cable.
    For someone who enjoys using Firewire 800 (on the macbook pro) but has to meet different clients using different platforms frequently, having the flexibility of being able to connect my hard drive across different platforms proves to be extremely useful for a hassle free data sharing and transfer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seagate GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive and GoFlex Products Review

The GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive is far from being just a storage device, I realized that it is part of a system lifestyle.

The GoFlex Net Media Sharing device – this is one test kit which I was reluctant to test, with fears of it being as complicated as it sounds (as I’ve mentioned before I’m not a exactly the most tech savvy person).

I decided to give it a go anyway, and to my surprise, the instructions and software given was simple and straightforward enough for a noob like me.
    In less than 10 mins, the device was up and running. The GoFlex Net Media Sharing (with the GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive docked) was connected to my Home Local Area Network with internet access. With that, I was able to access data from my the GoFlex Net Meida via the internet from my laptop outside my home.
    I now can be truly mobile in that I can access information on my admin matters while on the road eg, my quotations, invoices, images and anything that is on the GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive that is docked on the GoFlex Net Media. No need to carry all my Portable Drives around whenever I go. Furthermore, it also allows me to give anyone I choose, to access and download selected images/data from my drives in the GoFlex Net Sharing.
    All this was made possible by the software “pgopgplug” that was provided by Seagate, as mentioned it was simple and easy to install, configure and get it running. There are also security features installed to ensure that only users you authorized, can access information in GoFlex Net Sharing Media.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 11th September 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seagate GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive and GoFlex Products Review

Now, we’ve come to the final item in the review kit – the GoFlex TV: HD Media Player.

This, my friends, is the ultimate Korean TV fan (which includes my wife) dream that come true. The humble little GoFlex Ultra Portable drive can be used to store movies, video & photos (eg. holidays in S Korea) and when slot into the GoFlex TV provides the user with hours of HD TV entertainment.
    I’m keeping this portion of the review away from my wife, least I will have to buy a couple of GoFlex Ultra Portable Drives for her Korean TV craze.
    All I asked was for a small simple storage device that has large capacity and flexible connectivity. But I got more than that, the Seagate GoFlex line of product is not just drives but an entire flexible system lifestyle that can be configured to every individual needs.
    This is one great product that I would confidently recommend to all my friends (except my wife).
    Last edited by chngpe01; 11th September 2010 at 12:50 AM.