Thread: 'lion'

Default 'lion'

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Mainly composition. Welcome feedback from all other areas too. I am a greenhorn to photography so i'm seeking opinions to improve my pictures. =)

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    I was taking casual photos of my dog and realised that she looks like a lion in disguise in certain angles. So i tried to take pics of her which would give me a feel of a 'tamed lion'.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    as mentioned above, i wanted to try and take my dog looking like a lion. So its a home setting with a running dog all over the place. No flash was used. I made use of the strong afternoon sun shining through my window. S mode, f5.6, shutter 1/250.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    I took this photo with S mode since my dog is moving all the time and i wanted to take pictures without restraining her to a certain posture etc. I set the shutter to a pretty high speed and took this pic without flash. I think this photo has hit my objective. I think it exudes the natural behaviour of my dog and at the same time it really makes her look like a lion resting after a meal. I would like to know if anyone shares the same perception of this photo or have a different feel. However i think this picture can be improved in terms of sharpness.

I don't know if you guys can see the photo so here's the actual URL of my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53560493@N06/4948121786/

I copied n pasted the sharing URL from flickr into here but somehow the pic doesn't show when i preview my post. any help here?

By the way, this photo is not processed. Thanks guys!

Default Re: 'lion'

Posting for you.

'lion'

To post the picture properly, at your picture on flickr, under the share this tab, select grab html/bb code, select bb code, choose your desired size, then copy and paste the code here.

Composition wise,

1. try not to cut away the limb of the dog.
    2. u could reposition yourself to get a better shot. e.g. lower angle, move more to the right
    3. in this case, i feel that a landscape version would be better.

My 2 cents worth. Keep shooting

The wood carving in the background is distracting cos its half cut off. if you wanted it in the photo, leave it in whole, at a rule of third line or something, or else leave it out entirely by changing your angle, cropping it, or blocking it with the dog
    Last edited by aprilmoon92; 10th September 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Posting for you.

'lion'

To post the picture properly, at your picture on flickr, under the share this tab, select grab html/bb code, select bb code, choose your desired size, then copy and paste the code here.
    Thanks a million! no wonder i couldn't post the pics.. now i know its bb code! btw thanks for your advice as well! taking note of it!

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    The wood carving in the background is distracting cos its half cut off. if you wanted it in the photo, leave it in whole, at a rule of third line or something, or else leave it out entirely by changing your angle, cropping it, or blocking it with the dog
    Thanks for your suggestion! i agree with you that the carving is a little distracting. Thanks! =)

The angle looks weird since the whole midpart of the body is cut off. Either don't cut off anything, or just concentrate on the forebody might make the image better.

The ear kind of gave me the illusion that there is some kind of out-of-focus or movement blur, but when I look at the eyes I see that it is focused alright. Just thought it was a bit distracting.

Agree about the carving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    The angle looks weird since the whole midpart of the body is cut off. Either don't cut off anything, or just concentrate on the forebody might make the image better.

The ear kind of gave me the illusion that there is some kind of out-of-focus or movement blur, but when I look at the eyes I see that it is focused alright. Just thought it was a bit distracting.

Agree about the carving as well.
    hi yes i agree with regards to the angle being a little weird, but this angle gave the best lighting as well as the 'lion' feel.. thats why i kept this photo. Nevertheless, advice noted! thanks!