Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does this photographer use?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What does this photographer use?

Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
    What I really meant was you were being unnecessarily sarcastic. I was clarifying my doubts, not 'second guessing' the pros. If I didn't clarify them, I would still be thinking that only flashes can emit flashes. I am not questioning their professionalism. I don't just take answers as they are. Perhaps you do, but I don't.

I am not being insecure. What's there to be insecure about something I don't know about anyway? I didn't have to admit that I didn't know that softboxes could emit flash, but I did it anyway because I am open to learning about it.
    You insisted after so many posts that you don't think the flashes came from the softbox. You also saw a non-existent flash on the camera. Everyone was telling you something, but you ain't listening.

BTW Soft box cannot emit flash. It is just a box that modifies the light. You even said yourself, the material of different brands can affect the light. Soft box is attached on strobes (flashes) - the long black things jutting out of the softbox.

For the record, catchlights deduced that they were strobes because of the flashes, not because of something installed at the end of the softboxes. So I wanted to clarify if the flashes came from the camera since I noticed that the flashes came about only when the photographer clicked on the camera.
    Catchlights did not deduce. He knows for a fact. He is a very well known studio photographer and he uses the equipment day in and day out for many years. He did not have to deduce that those are strobes. He told you straight off they are strobes and is trying to tell you to see why they are strobes.

Strobes will fire when the camera shutter is pressed. If not, how are the flash of light going to be in sync with capturing of the picture?

I am willing to be told that understanding lighting is important, but I will never disregard brands for anything because brands have a reason for their existence. It's just like telling newbies that any camera will do, the more important thing is to understand what the camera does for you. It doesn't really help a newbie by telling them any camera will do because it really doesn't do.
    In this case, any soft box will do. Soft box just softens the light. Nothing more. Hell, you can even use a translucent piece of curtain or translucent plastic sheeting to get almost the same effect. Does brand matter that much?

Even before I typed out my thread, I was wondering if it could invite any rude remarkers and I didn't think even genuine questions could trigger sarcastic replies. I don't understand the thrill about trouncing newbies at their threads when they are groping in the dark.

Despite knowing that there are some people who persistently just want to be rude, I still post up this thread because I really want to learn something. And I have.

Thanks to all who have humbly shared what you know!
    Everyone started out here telling you nicely. Asking you questions in return nicely... but you ain't listening. Some people learns only when answers are given to them. Some people only learn when the concepts get nailed into their heads. I am glad if you learn something in the end. If this kind of tone is what I need to adopt to help you learn, I will do it all over again. If I don't care, I wouldn't even bother.

Call it tough love if you want.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th September 2010 at 06:26 PM.

For the record, catchlights deduced that they were strobes because of the flashes, not because of something installed at the end of the softboxes. So I wanted to clarify if the flashes came from the camera since I noticed that the flashes came about only when the photographer clicked on the camera.
    I think you may have mixed up with the light setup for studio shoot. Both of them can be mounted at the end of softbox. From the video, the constant light output that you seen is what we normally called "modeling light". That is use to gauge how the flash light would fall on your subject. Hope this info is useful to you.

As what ed9119 have suggested it would be easier for you to understand by renting a studio or join a studio shoot. Alternatively you can read up more of these stuff from studio related books. Personally to me, shoot more learn more... have fun..
    Last edited by Anson; 11th September 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You insisted after so many posts that you don't think the flashes came from the softbox. You also saw a non-existent flash on the camera. Everyone was telling you something, but you ain't listening.

I didn't say 'I don't think the flashes came from the softbox'. Please read my posts again if you didn't get them the first time. I was voicing out my doubts so that they could be clarified. It wasn't because I wasn't listening. If I wasn't listening, how could I question the answers? By questioning the answers, I am not questioning their professionalism like you would assume. I just want to be very sure. That's just me. I haven't known of any pro who gets offended by my ignorance. In fact, they usually back up what they told me using something else so that I would be convinced.

BTW Soft box cannot emit flash. It is just a box that modifies the light. You even said yourself, the material of different brands can affect the light. Soft box is attached on strobes (flashes) - the long black things jutting out of the softbox.

Catchlights did not deduce. He knows for a fact. He is a very well known studio photographer and he uses the equipment day in and day out for many years. He did not have to deduce that those are strobes. He told you straight off they are strobes and is trying to tell you to see why they are strobes.

I will not argue with you what 'deduce' means. I know catchlights is a very well-known studio photographer and I am very sure he doesn't need you to feel insecure on his behalf because he's a true pro.

Strobes will fire when the camera shutter is pressed. If not, how are the flash of light going to be in sync with capturing of the picture?

In this case, any soft box will do. Soft box just softens the light. Nothing more. Does brand matter that much?

When I buy something, I try to buy something that does not need me to upgrade in the near future - that, to me, is a bargain. So I thought that going by brand would be a safe bet. I have read that some softboxes are not worth buying because they give very harsh light, like a direct flash. I definitely don't want that kinda softboxes. The photographer in the video has very nice and soft light, so I was hoping if someone could shed light on which brand it could possibly be. That's all.

Everyone started out here telling you nicely. Asking you questions in return nicely... but you ain't listening. Some people learns only when answers are given to them. Some people only learn when the concepts get nailed into their heads. I am glad if you learn something in the end. If this kind of tone is what I need to adopt to help you learn, I will do it all over again. If I don't care, I wouldn't even bother.

Actually, if you read the thread all over again, you would realise you are the only one who is not so nice. The rest of them are humble and nice because they know that they don't have to be rude to teach someone. And I appreciate the humility. If you realise, most adults don't like being told off while being taught. Maybe you like this style and that's why you dish it out this way. But most people don't.

Call it tough love if you want.
    You love me? I am married already. 谢谢你的爱!
    Last edited by rains; 11th September 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries

You love me? I am married already. 谢谢你的爱!
    I love the world, doesn't mean I have to marry every person in the world right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I think you may have mixed up with the light setup for studio shoot. Both of them can be mounted at the end of softbox. From the video, the constant light output that you seen is what we normally called "modeling light". That is use to gauge how the flash light would fall on your subject. Hope this info is useful to you.

As what ed9119 have suggested it would be easier for you to understand by renting a studio or join a studio shoot. Alternatively you can read up more of these stuff from studio related books. Personally to me, shoot more learn more... have fun..
    Hiya,

Thanks! I didn't even know I was confused! And I haven't read about 'modeling light'.

I have been on the lookout for studio sessions to learn about the lightings. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I didn't say 'I don't think the flashes came from the softbox'. Please read my posts again if you didn't get them the first time. I was voicing out my doubts so that they could be clarified. It wasn't because I wasn't listening. If I wasn't listening, how could I question the answers? By questioning the answers, I am not questioning their professionalism like you would assume. I just want to be very sure. That's just me. I haven't known of any pro who gets offended by my ignorance. In fact, they usually back up what they told me using something else so that I would be convinced.
    You hear. But you didn't listen.

When I buy something, I try to buy something that does not need me to upgrade in the near future - that, to me, is a bargain. So I thought that going by brand would be a safe bet. I have read that some softboxes are not worth buying because they give very harsh light, like a direct flash. I definitely don't want that kinda softboxes. The photographer in the video has very nice and soft light, so I was hoping if someone could shed light on which brand it could possibly be. That's all.
    I have seen many softboxes. Some are superior. But all of them will work well. But getting concerned over brand is the last thing compared to getting concepts right.

Actually, if you read the thread all over again, you would realise you are the only one who is not so nice. The rest of them are humble and nice because they know that they don't have to be rude to teach someone. And I appreciate the humility. If you realise, most adults don't like being told off while being taught. Maybe you like this style and that's why you dish it out this way. But most people don't.
    I was not trying to be nice. Well, like this style or not, did you learn something out of this exchange? will it stay longer with you than if someone just gave you a cheat sheet? In your case, looks like you needed it. Because even after 2 different people telling you that strobes are behind those softboxes. Something as basic as this, you come back saying you do not think so.

You should see how apprentices in TCS and some long time production houses have to endure. Expletives and all. Maybe you are not suited for this industry? Being so emo and all?

Talking about humility, it is mutual.

I will sign off here. No point continuing. If you learn something then good for you. No point going in circles.

I was not trying to be nice. Well, like this style or not, did you learn something out of this exchange? will it stay longer with you than if someone just gave you a cheat sheet? In your case, looks like you needed it. Because even after 2 different people telling you that strobes are behind those softboxes. Something as basic as this, you come back saying you do not think so.

I think that should tell you that I'm simply ignorant, not bcos I want to challenge the pros or prove something else. But you just want to take it in just one track. That I can't help.

You should see how apprentices in TCS and some long time production houses have to endure. Expletives and all. Maybe you are not suited for this industry? Being so emo and all?

Yes, I know about apprentices in photography businesses enduring nonsense and I really think it's uncalled for. Even in primary schools, teachers are supposed to teach WITH LOVE. I think it's old-school thinking from uneducated boors that apprentices have to go through hardships and pure nonsense like putting up with big shots' tantrums to learn something. That's pure stupidity. And if it's still around, these people ought to be shot for being a stick-in-the-mud, not with a camera though.

I don't think I need to endure humiliation just to learn something. I asked nicely and the nice people have responded nicely. That's the decent, civilised way.

Talking about humility, it is mutual.

Now you know why I am not nice to you while am nice to the rest.

I will sign off here. No point continuing. If you learn something then good for you. No point going in circles.
    Thank you, I also don't like to argue no end.

Hiya,

Thanks! I didn't even know I was confused! And I haven't read about 'modeling light'.

I have been on the lookout for studio sessions to learn about the lightings. Thanks!
    No problem... this short link -> http://photo.net/learn/studio/primer should give you an overall idea of Studio Photography. Have fun..

Hi,

I would like to set up a home studio for my own use.

In reference to the video below,

1) Can anyone tell me what kinda light is the photographer using ie. strobe or continuous?
    2) If possible, please help me hazard a guess at the size of the soft boxes.
    3) What kinda brand of softbox and light does the photographer look like he is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOEaYPpNl0

Pardon me if I am asking for the impossible. I really like the lighting and am at my wit's end at guessing his gear.

Thanks!

1. At 0:21, strobe flashing can be seen
    2. 120x80cm and/or 90x60cm
    3. the photographer is using a Jinbei MS-300 with a M-80x120 softbox on the right, and a Jinbei DP-300 with a M-80x120 or M-60x90 on the left side.
    Last edited by afiend; 30th November 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afiend View Post
    1. At 0:21, strobe flashing can be seen
    2. 120x80cm and/or 90x60cm
    3. the photographer is using a Jinbei MS-300 with a M-80x120 softbox on the right, and a Jinbei DP-300 with a M-80x120 or M-60x90 on the left side.
    lol, so he bought the strobe set from you?

wanted to recommend TS using broncolor or Profoto, since she insist the brand of softbox is very important.
    Last edited by catchlights; 30th November 2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12