Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

  1. #1

    Default Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    when i was young, i remembered my uncle bringing my cancer strikened grandfather to this TCM physician in a building in macpherson.. some physician whom "miraculously" could feel your pulse and diagnose what was wrong with you.

    i'm a scientist, biologist, and such things doesnt seem to make sense to me. anyone believes in TCM?

    when would you seek TCM, and when wouldnt you?
    pedantic.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    when i was young, i remembered my uncle bringing my cancer strikened grandfather to this TCM physician in a building in macpherson.. some physician whom "miraculously" could feel your pulse and diagnose what was wrong with you.

    i'm a scientist, biologist, and such things doesnt seem to make sense to me. anyone believes in TCM?

    when would you seek TCM, and when wouldnt you?
    TCM which survive for a few thousands years and you think its crap?
    You sure, you are scientist?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Even Western medicine and treatments have time from time borrowed from alternative form of treatments.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    I believe in both TCM and Western style medicines.....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    TCM which survive for a few thousands years and you think its crap?
    You sure, you are scientist?
    he didnt think its crap. he just said when will u seek it and when wont u.

    he didnt dismiss it. infact, most scientists are the ones who are willing to accept new stuff.

    and yes, i'm equally curious what makes tcm tick. is it from the chemical compounds that form when various organic materials boil together? or what is it?

    my impressiion on western medicine is that all it does is to throw painkillers/ medicine to ease ur symptoms. and then lets ur body take over. most of the time at least, with the exception of cancer, bacterial infections where it can be directly cured via doing stuff to u. viral ones only give u a jab and let body take over...


    its impression, may not be right.

    TCM operates on a different system, maintaining balance, based on the 5 elements... which sounds a bit more hocus pocus to me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    While the concept may not make me believe it altogether. There are certain elements to the TCM which makes me believe that certain ways of diagnostics or treatments may work.

    TCM is too wide-based to sweep down in a single generalisation. There are treatments which can include accupunture, accu-point massage, herbal remedies, as well as other forms (which I am not able to list down totally)

    And even when you want to understand it more, it can just give you more to think about. Just like a simple Ginseng, there are actually 3 types. US, Korean and Chinese. And each have it's different medicinal properties and will suit different individuals. Using the wrong type for the individual may effect some negative reactions.

    And the training for the physician is equally important as there are so many parts to understand and apply correctly. While some may be quacks, (trying to make a fast buck) I believe that there are still those who practises their skills dilligently but in a way which we are not able to comprehend without believing or able to accept their speed in which it treats a malady. (slow reaction time as they treat the body as a whole)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    i always go for TCM whenever i am sick.. they are best for flu... instant cure.. usually i feel 80% better after first dose, and usually recover by next day... but some TCM use cheap medicine and you won't get this fast result.

    So why i go for TCM instead of western for common sickness? western just don't work for me since i am a boy.. i really hate it...

    i tried Tibetan medicine also.. it works like TCM too... but i did it in when i was in India. It was again those flu etc... i was using western medicine that time (i consult a western trained Indian doctor)... i even go for injection.. but my flue went on for one month.. till i found out a very good Tibetan doctor... i feel improvement with the one hour after the first dose, and i knew the medicine is right. again the same for TCM, some Tibetan doctors also cannot make it ... in general, TCM and Tibetan medicine is harder to master... it is not easy to be a good TCM or Tibetan doctor... u need lots of experience... it is not like a general practitioner, who follow more or less a standard procedure.. so much so that even the nurse know what medicine should be administered just by hearing the complaint.

    but one thing i noticed is that for skin problems, western is better than TCM... in fact so much better.

    anyway TCM, ayuveda, Tibetan medicine are all great gems of this earth, and should be preserved.... there is no doubt at all they are effective! it is proven for several thousand of years! and it is proven using humans, not animals!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    TCM which survive for a few thousands years and you think its crap?
    You sure, you are scientist?
    dont shoot me on sight. i just checked a minute ago, i'm still a scientist based on qualification and job.

    there are some nice papers that came out this year reconciling TCM and western medicine
    http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/...l/nn.2562.html
    http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/2/45/45ra59.abstract

    but just a curiousity, whether there could be an correlation with age and receptivity of TCM.
    like when would you go to tcm and when not? i would always go for a cough, and i had my asthma treated when i was a little kid by TCM, apparently the TCM practitioner (whom eventually became the director of TCM board in singapore), targetted my spleen meridians to treat my asthma.. quite interesting.

    however everytime if MC is needed i would always go western med not that i've taken that many.. i think only once in five years cuz i was having cheekenpox
    pedantic.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i always go for TCM whenever i am sick.. they are best for flu... instant cure.. usually i feel 80% better after first dose, and usually recover by next day... but some TCM use cheap medicine and you won't get this fast result.

    So why i go for TCM instead of western for common sickness? western just don't work for me since i am a boy.. i really hate it...

    i tried Tibetan medicine also.. it works like TCM too... but i did it in when i was in India. It was again those flu etc... i was using western medicine that time (i consult a western trained Indian doctor)... i even go for injection.. but my flue went on for one month.. till i found out a very good Tibetan doctor... i feel improvement with the one hour after the first dose, and i knew the medicine is right. again the same for TCM, some Tibetan doctors also cannot make it ... in general, TCM and Tibetan medicine is harder to master... it is not easy to be a good TCM or Tibetan doctor... u need lots of experience... it is not like a general practitioner, who follow more or less a standard procedure.. so much so that even the nurse know what medicine should be administered just by hearing the complaint.

    but one thing i noticed is that for skin problems, western is better than TCM... in fact so much better.

    anyway TCM, ayuveda, Tibetan medicine are all great gems of this earth, and should be preserved.... there is no doubt at all they are effective! it is proven for several thousand of years! and it is proven using humans, not animals!
    tibetan medicine is cool before some radical guy's youtube account got ablated, i watched the documentary on tibetan medicine, apparently it takes a good 10 or 12 years to become proper tibetan doctor.
    pedantic.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post

    i'm a scientist, biologist, and such things doesnt seem to make sense to me. anyone believes in TCM?
    do you believe our level of "science" understanding today, can explain everthing on earth tha make sense ?

    TCM is also a science, many well known medical school/university also conduct TCM degree. Are you sayting that those university does not make sense to you ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

    my impressiion on western medicine is that all it does is to throw painkillers/ medicine to ease ur symptoms. and then lets ur body take over. most of the time at least, with the exception of cancer, bacterial infections where it can be directly cured via doing stuff to u. viral ones only give u a jab and let body take over...
    agree with this statement. we normally go for westen , because it is immediate. But sometimes beyond that, they could not help. There is no western medicine to cure asthma (you can control). Few of my relatives (nephew and nice) were treated by TCM at young age for asthma , and most of them fully recover.

    My wife was diagnosis with rheumatoid arthritis, early stage. Went to 2-3 hopsital in singapore, and consult several specialist. The conclusion is that RA could not be cure. Can only be controlled, take pain killers, anti-infla when it comes.

    We went to seek TCM, treated by a Master graduate TCM doctor and recoverd after 9months. It has been 4 years and it has not come back since. Do not think the western doc will understand the myth behind on TCM how they manage to do that.

  12. #12
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Well. Raffles Medical Group seems to have faith in TCM..... there is a TCM dept in Raffles Hospital opp Bugis Junction

    i believe in most of the ingredients used to treat sicknesses in TCM (except weird stuff like sea horses, tiger/bear parts) I believe strongly in effects of properly administered accupuncture.... but I am skeptical about the way it is explained eg the energy flows, ying/yang concept, body absorb too much air etc etc

    I almost ALWAYS prefer to be treated by TCM first..... and then western medicine if TCM fails or taking too long ...... not too keen to pop chemicals and drugs into my body at the slightest sign of sickness/flu/cough
    Last edited by ed9119; 10th September 2010 at 12:39 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  13. #13

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    To think that western medicine equates to (the only) science that is relevant and anything outside this current scientific explanation is unscientific, is quite ignorant. Let the results speak for itself. Many western doctors these days are also interested in TCM and some in Mount Elizabeth hospital have picked up acupuncture from TCM doctors to help them enhance their learning in medical science.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    To think that western medicine equates to (the only) science that is relevant and anything outside this current scientific explanation is unscientific, is quite ignorant. Let the results speak for itself. Many western doctors these days are also interested in TCM and some in Mount Elizabeth hospital have picked up acupuncture from TCM doctors to help them enhance their learning in medical science.
    yes that's true. they used to think TCM is rubbish... now my fren, who is a western doctor (trained in NUS) is studying TCM...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    tibetan medicine is cool before some radical guy's youtube account got ablated, i watched the documentary on tibetan medicine, apparently it takes a good 10 or 12 years to become proper tibetan doctor.
    actually it all depends on whether the doctor is gifted or not...

    like in music, there are mozart etc...

    Bill Gates wrote Basic programming language when he was 19 years old... well most IT professional don't even know how to do that after 20 years... well not that i like Basic, or Visual Basic... haha...

    Tibetan medicine is also now having a hard time surviving ...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    tibetan medicine is cool before some radical guy's youtube account got ablated, i watched the documentary on tibetan medicine, apparently it takes a good 10 or 12 years to become proper tibetan doctor.
    one thing that really interest me in Tibetan medicine is how they purify mercury, which is poison, and make it fit not only to be consumed, but as a medicine. i ate those quite alot in the past .. haha..

    when i was in poly, i keep fainting... not passed off into unconsciusness... i went for all kinds of checkup in SGH lah.. blood tests lah... specialist lah... until i become so sick of it... it took months... still not cured...

    i met a Lama and he gave me a pill (those mercury kind), and u r not supposed to expose it to light... u must open it up in dim light , put it in hot water, and drink it next morning... and it helped me greatly...

    in india, the tibetan medical clinics are very popular, many indians went there for treatment.

    Tibetan and Chinese medicine are very good for chronic diseases...

    but i believe we should combine Western and Eastern when necessary...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    one thing that really interest me in Tibetan medicine is how they purify mercury, which is poison, and make it fit not only to be consumed, but as a medicine. i ate those quite alot in the past .. haha..

    when i was in poly, i keep fainting... not passed off into unconsciusness... i went for all kinds of checkup in SGH lah.. blood tests lah... specialist lah... until i become so sick of it... it took months... still not cured...

    i met a Lama and he gave me a pill (those mercury kind), and u r not supposed to expose it to light... u must open it up in dim light , put it in hot water, and drink it next morning... and it helped me greatly...

    in india, the tibetan medical clinics are very popular, many indians went there for treatment.

    Tibetan and Chinese medicine are very good for chronic diseases...

    but i believe we should combine Western and Eastern when necessary...
    found it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v153ixVGh7k
    tibetan medicine

    i still have one of the lama pills from Sherab Rinpoche (Kaygupa Maniwa) but he say cannot eat, sniff only
    pedantic.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    he didnt think its crap. he just said when will u seek it and when wont u.

    he didnt dismiss it. infact, most scientists are the ones who are willing to accept new stuff.

    and yes, i'm equally curious what makes tcm tick. is it from the chemical compounds that form when various organic materials boil together? or what is it?

    my impressiion on western medicine is that all it does is to throw painkillers/ medicine to ease ur symptoms. and then lets ur body take over. most of the time at least, with the exception of cancer, bacterial infections where it can be directly cured via doing stuff to u. viral ones only give u a jab and let body take over...

    its impression, may not be right.

    TCM operates on a different system, maintaining balance, based on the 5 elements... which sounds a bit more hocus pocus to me.
    TCM ticks, not because of single compounds. The reason behind such a huge concoction for chinese medicine, is that every component is imbalanced, and has its strength and weaknesses. so they try to do it in a combination where by the first herb treats, the second herb nullifies the side effect of the first, the third herb augments the first herb and nullifies the side effect of the 2nd and blahblah..
    pedantic.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    do you believe our level of "science" understanding today, can explain everthing on earth tha make sense ?

    TCM is also a science, many well known medical school/university also conduct TCM degree. Are you sayting that those university does not make sense to you ?
    argh!!! dont shoot me already

    i mean.. there still remains chinese medicine elements that cannot be explained by western science. i.e. the concept of meredians, qi, yin yang and all that but it doesnt mean its not effective.
    pedantic.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Do you believe in Traditional Chinese Medicine?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    found it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v153ixVGh7k
    tibetan medicine

    i still have one of the lama pills from Sherab Rinpoche (Kaygupa Maniwa) but he say cannot eat, sniff only
    oh.. so u r not new to Tibetan medicine also .. haha..

    ya some are just for sniffing only... haha.. i got some also...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •