Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filters on or off??

Default Re: Filters on or off??

Quote Originally Posted by dorje87 View Post
    ... discovered that somehow my pictures seem a little whitish hazy fuzzy to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Are you referring to images straight out from camera without any post processing?
    ... i have posted 2 photos. the top one is taken with filter, and the bottom one taken without. Both photos were taken with the following settings: Shutter 1/15, f5.6, ISO 1600, AF area mode, AF-A, WB auto, D-lighting auto.
    See the difference between before and after post processing of both images. Apart from the high ISO noise effect, the difference arises from improved image contrast that eliminates the "little whitish hazy fuzzy" (or sometimes called the the gray veil). Is thread starter referring to this "little whitish fuzzy"?

hey yes!! the photos look like what i have in mind after you have processed it! so is it just my own perception that is causing the prob? or is it the filters or settings??

So i shouldn't set such high expectations for my photos because i'm afterall using the beginner lenses???

erm its just low contrast.

it may be due to
    • low contrast of lenses
    • slightly underexposed image
    • and low intensity ambient light with a big surface area

easiest way is to fix in post processing.
    next is get a better lens like the 17-55
    last but not least, control your own lighting with strobes.

So i shouldn't set such high expectations for my photos because i'm after all using the beginner lenses???
    Your question about "little whitish fuzzy" at start of this thread unrelated to "beginner lenses". Simple answer is that "little whitish fuzzy" is related to digital camera construction and is resolved during post processing of captured images. More explanation at bottom of this posting.

... so is it just my own perception that is causing the prob? or is it the filters or settings??
    The perceived matter arises from neither from filters attached to camera lenses or settings by camera users. From my understanding, there are filters in front of the camera sensors. See Nikon explanation at here and here. These filters in front of the camera introduce blurness in the image at the expense of image sharpness (or blurness) to the captured images. That's the reason that post processing is necessary for digital still images captured by a digital camera.

Without these filters, adsorption of ultra-violet & infra-red wavelengths would be visible in captured images like the initial batches of Leica M8 camera. See dpreview experiment result where a black colour bag and clothing look purplish.

Icic.. thanks a million for helping me understand the issue here guys. really appreciate it! now i can take pictures with my camera with less doubt on the settings and techniques. hahahaa.... by the way, any comments on my composition of pictures? do take a look at my other 2 photos in flickr! (sorry i'm still new so number of photos worthy enough for flickr is highly limited)

Thanks a million peeps!!!

Now, many of us wear spectacles. The glass have coatings as well. A pair of quality prescription glass cost $400 - $700 or even more. But do we have filters for it? We use it every day, wash it and clean it daily. Does it get so easily scratched?

Now, as for lenses, we use it much less often. Some lenses could cost more than 1k. So, it gives us a peace of mind to put a protective filter. Cheapo filter or expensive filter is a matter of person preference. It is only in extreme conditions like shooting into some very bright light that we can see the difference in the filter. Most of the time, the difference is invisible.

For protection, IMO, a hood is a much better device than a filter. And then, there are those who want double protection - filter plus hood.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12