Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

  1. #1

    Default K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    from http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-damage-2.html



    Thats either one big repair bill or a complete write-off.
    Last edited by Reportage; 8th September 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  2. #2

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    i would say, be more careful in the shower, especially for those who like to wash their cameras without even having a weather sealed lens.

  3. #3

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    It is Weather Resistant... not Weather Proof

  4. #4

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would say, be more careful in the shower, especially for those who like to wash their cameras without even having a weather sealed lens.
    isn't the K20D and DA*16-50 weather sealed?

    anyway, this feels like inconsistent QC to me...

    not to be an apologist for hoya but i believe others had gone through worse with their WR camera and lens.

    more the case since the TS claims that he did everything he could after the soaking - removed batteries, sd card, put silica gel into the camera and dried it out.

  5. #5

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    weather resistant

    is not weather PROOF

    just like a water resistant watch will not be able to withstand high pressures at the depths of the ocean, which is why there are things like water resistant to 50m, water resistant to 200m...

    my definition of weather resistant would be that the camera can withstand light rain and shoot in light rain. doesn't mean that you can walk through a hurricane, typhoon, earthquake and it will still come out unscathed.

  6. #6

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    Just like underwater casing. The O-ring is made of rubber and the quality degrades over time and the environment it is exposed to (dry cabinet too dry or no dry cabinet at all). Once it's damage it's no longer sealed.

    Dont expect your K20D or any other WR body and lenses to be WR forever...

  7. #7

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    If modern-day silicone is used instead of conventional rubber for WR purposes, then the WR property will be intact for a very very very very looooong time!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would say, be more careful in the shower, especially for those who like to wash their cameras without even having a weather sealed lens.
    I thought someone had make or posted a video washing his camera in the shower sometime ago ??

  9. #9
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    from http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-damage-2.html



    Thats either one big repair bill or a complete write-off.
    So you link the first post but not the last post? The guy who had a WR failure had his lens replaced by Pentax under warranty since they recognized that this was a defect in the WR capability of the lens.

    Will Tamron replace my 17-50 or 70-200 if it gets damaged if I shoot in the rain? No, because it's not weather-sealed at all. But if I have no choice but to shoot in the rain to get the shot, I'll take a calculated risk but still protect the lens and camera with a plastic bag.

    Now, if you decide to go wash your camera under a shower with a non-WR lens when you could simply just wipe it with a cloth, you better be prepared to foot the repair bill or write the camera and lens off, because that's not a very smart thing to do.

  10. #10

    Default Re: K20D + 16-50mm? Becareful in the rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    So you link the first post but not the last post? The guy who had a WR failure had his lens replaced by Pentax under warranty since they recognized that this was a defect in the WR capability of the lens.

    Will Tamron replace my 17-50 or 70-200 if it gets damaged if I shoot in the rain? No, because it's not weather-sealed at all. But if I have no choice but to shoot in the rain to get the shot, I'll take a calculated risk but still protect the lens and camera with a plastic bag.

    Now, if you decide to go wash your camera under a shower with a non-WR lens when you could simply just wipe it with a cloth, you better be prepared to foot the repair bill or write the camera and lens off, because that's not a very smart thing to do.
    I did not link just the first post, i linked the entire thread from there for everyone to read.

    I am surprised it took you this long to notice.

    now before this September thread degrades any further with posts irrelavant to the thread,

    CLOSED.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •