Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to you!
    Posts
    5

    Default Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building



    Went out with a friend and happened to passed this colourful building that I knew little about. Did some research about it.

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I used the HDR technique and think that it worked out pretty well, I think.
    Does my photo looks dramatized to bring out the bold colours on the window?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

    I like to bring out the blocked light that landed on the building and make it feel as historic as before.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    It was a hot afternoon so as I borrowed the trees's shade, I happened the see some blocked light landing in the middle of the building. I took out my camera and decided to give it a shot.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    This is my first time using the HDR method... The photo looks okay to me.

    Thanks for viewing!
    Last edited by MoodyHero; 10th September 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    The name is MoodyHero. ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,947
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    exposure seems OK

    What bothers me is that this seems taken with too wide angle a lens from a little too far a perspective

    the lines are there...... re-position yourself so that the lines help lead the eyes into and out of the image maybe?

    the little triangle of blown out sky on top right corner adds nothing to the image

    try again ? best of luck
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to you!
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    exposure seems OK

    What bothers me is that this seems taken with too wide angle a lens from a little too far a perspective

    the lines are there...... re-position yourself so that the lines help lead the eyes into and out of the image maybe?

    the little triangle of blown out sky on top right corner adds nothing to the image

    try again ? best of luck

    Okay, I will visit there again and work on the perspective and framing.
    Thanks for critiquing!
    The name is MoodyHero. ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞

  4. #4

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    Before any kind of post-processing such as HDR is considered, you should pay attention to framing and exposure. Exposure seems fine, but in terms of framing it seems like a random snapshot. I can see that the colour and streaks of light might be interesting, but you need some kind of pattern or geometry for the image to work effectively. Kind of abstract but I hope it helps.

    Sky is overexposed too (isn't the point of HDR to rectify blown highlights and over-dark shadows?).

  5. #5

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    Good colours!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    so you used this photo to try out hdr?

    a photo is more than just the use of technique, it has to be founded on strong composition to be good.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to you!
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so you used this photo to try out hdr?

    a photo is more than just the use of technique, it has to be founded on strong composition to be good.
    Yeah... first timer with hdr.
    The name is MoodyHero. ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Old Hill Street Police Station— MICA Building

    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyHero View Post

    Went out with a friend and happened to passed this colourful building that I knew little about. Did some research about it.

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I used the HDR technique and think that it worked out pretty well, I think.
    Does my photo looks dramatized to bring out the bold colours on the window?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

    I like to bring out the blocked light that landed on the building and make it feel as historic as before.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    It was a hot afternoon so as I borrowed the trees's shade, I happened the see some blocked light landing in the middle of the building. I took out my camera and decided to give it a shot.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    This is my first time using the HDR method... The photo looks okay to me.

    Thanks for viewing!
    First of all, you may want to try converting it to b&w, will recommend using lightroom to adjust the b&w mix to get different tone of black for the various colours, maybe this way, you can portray the "historical" side more.

    The HDR does not seems to be adding any value to the picture. I personally feel that HDR should be done with a more cloudly sky to show the dynamic range of the clouds and sky.

    Glad that you did research about the building after your shot, keep up the hardworking attitude.
    Nikon D700 | AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G | SB900

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •