Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do u like Microsoft Office and Outlook?

Default Re: do u like Microsoft Office and Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I think the younger generation, especially the more IT savvy ones (not the ones who don't know the difference between a processor and an OS), prefer Office 2007 more, while the rest of the people generally prefer the older versions more. I personally prefer Office 2010 with the customisable ribbon where I can put all the settings I need into one tab. It sure takes a little time to get used to, but personally the new UI works better. The main reason why most people find the older UI works better is because they are used to it and are generally unwilling to change and adapt (people usually get more reluctant to change and experiment as they get older).

As for Outlook, I've never used it before so I can't say anything about it. I use Google mail, my school uses it too, and things go pretty smooth with the system. I've had no problems so far with Google mail, I've never bothered to install Outlook, always uncheck it in my MS Office installation.
    To correct, you can also customize your own ribbon in Office 2003.

Also, Outlook Express is not just for use with Internet Mail. It is also used in an office environment, especially where you need to work it with a workflow system. It can also be used with backend systems like SQL Servers and SharePoint Servers. Unlimited in fact. But with Google, limited to what Google will offer to you.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yeah, I went through that phase too. There's something they got right in MS Office 2003 and somehow it kinda went downhill from there. But after using for a while, I kinda got used to it.

The menus are re-placed in very different positions and it took me a while to find the things I used to find easily, and frankly, I don't see the rationale either for some of these changes but life goes on. Now I can't use the old MS Office 2003 anymore

And I still want my Lotus Notes back also.
    i prefer lotus notes actually... i use it in a large organisation.. and the address book works fine... and that was 1995! but have to agree it UI is ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    horribly un-user-friendly.

if you thought microsoft was bad..................... openoffice is like an auntie trying to tell you what to do.

the new ones are ok what, you just get used to them. when you change something, you will have to get used to it. etc. i mean, they're not the most brilliant product around for sure, but they got there for a reason.
    really? seems that no one here like OO... for me, i like simple things,,, so OO and recently Google Docs works for me... and usually i use notepad..

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    To be honest, I have the fortune and misfortune to use the 3 major corporate messaging suite - Groupwise, Lotus Notes and Exchange. Guess what...Exchange and Outlook is my favourite email platform. I guess global corporate email address book is never going to be easy to manage. Imagine searching for Indian names...how many Subramaniam, Joshi, Deepak to name a few. Similiarly for Chinese names...how many Adrian Tan, Peter Wong and the likes. If you don't know them by dialect name, how to search? And Thai names....have you come across a name 26 alphabets long? Also Russian and Eastern European names, the kov, vic and che...which we are not used to seeing. And what about the Arabs....you know how many are called Mahmoud, Mohammad? I think these are not what the email client can help....
    aiya .. sian lah.. i got headache whenever i need to locate some stranger whom i am suppose to send some info... u key in a key word, like john.. it just cannot give u all the entries with john... the u got to try the last name lah.. first name lah.. middle name lah..

can cry man...

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    To correct, you can also customize your own ribbon in Office 2003.
    it's not called a ribbon I believe, and the items are smaller. I know you can customise it, but I still prefer the larger ribbon in Office 2007/2010

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Also, Outlook Express is not just for use with Internet Mail. It is also used in an office environment, especially where you need to work it with a workflow system. It can also be used with backend systems like SQL Servers and SharePoint Servers. Unlimited in fact. But with Google, limited to what Google will offer to you.
    ok thanks for the clarification

Seem like no one using Apple's office suite - iWork
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

I'm quite happy with Office 2007 now, took me some time to get used to it though. Outlook is also great with the index search enabled.

Just realised I've been using MS Word since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    I'm quite happy with Office 2007 now, took me some time to get used to it though. Outlook is also great with the index search enabled.

Just realised I've been using MS Word since 1992
    I was a kid in 1992
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    really? seems that no one here like OO... for me, i like simple things,,, so OO and recently Google Docs works for me... and usually i use notepad..
    Go ahead, I will say with Office and Outlook.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

well, it might not be very complete, but it's one of the best around. and i use it quite heavily. =x

Ok lah, it is not that bad, I had been using for years either from home or office. Just a matter of getting use to it.

Just like photography, many people don't own top of the line equipments yet can produce great photo. It is about how individual ability to understand one limitation and work within the best of it.

aiya .. sian lah.. i got headache whenever i need to locate some stranger whom i am suppose to send some info... u key in a key word, like john.. it just cannot give u all the entries with john... the u got to try the last name lah.. first name lah.. middle name lah..

can cry man...
    I suspect you are refering to cache names appearing in your To: field. If it is a new contact, it will not show up. You got to pick from the address book. I think this is the same with all the email clients. For outlook, you can manage your personal address book. Add new contacts to this personal address book. Then sync it with your Windows Mobile Device. Now my email and phone address book is syncronized. I find Microsoft has the most integrated Office productivity suite out there. I think it is the anti-competitive laws in US and Europe that is stopping Microsoft from providing a platform with Office integrated into Windows.

Not much can be done about the names. Unless the world has a name registry whereby a taken name cannot be used elsewhere.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 8th September 2010 at 06:48 PM.

can cry man...
    Solution to your problem. All along it is in Outlook (2003).

Outlook
    Click [Advanced Find]
    Inside Advanced Find click the [Advanced ] tab

Input the name you want to search inside [Search for Word(s)] e.g. type "John"
    Click the tab scroll list just below that to choose [In:] ( name fields only )
    Click [Find Now]

It will immediately show all instances of John whether in the First Name field or Middle Name Field or Last Name Field. No waiting.

It will even show cases of people named "Johnathan" or "Johnny"
    Last edited by ricohflex; 8th September 2010 at 09:05 PM.

In enterprise level....From Win2k onwards....Microsoft stength is integration....Active directory, Win server 2Kx, Exchange, SQL, MS Office.....multi site setup and replications.....Novell....Linux....Lotus etc....come beat me....It's a simplest decision for CIO to make....with that.....valuable IT resources can be freed up to deliver more tangible services that will contribute to the company's bottom line

As for TS point....how bad can a MS Office be? Is there any other suite that can do a better job than a Words, Excel or Powerpoint? Don't forget the support, I am not talking about direct bug fix from MS, I am talking about OEM such as hardware vendor....when you try printing a 100 pages Words documents and struggling to make the printing WYSIWYG, you can bet printer vendor can write a better driver for MS than any other apps simply because of the economy of scales.....you will curse and swear one day if you find those pages simply won't fit the A4 properly should someone try to be funny with those open source at home

As for Outlook....the power will be unleased once it's connected to Exchange server....everything from calendar, email, task scheduler will work like a charm and will be sync to whatever portable devices that you had....I am not saying Lotus Notes can't, it's just slow in getting support down the road....rumours even MAS is going to ditch the faithful Lotus Notes for MS Exchange somewhere down the road So far I have yet to not able finding anything with the search as long as I key in the keyword correctly

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Solution to your problem. All along it is in Outlook (2003).

Outlook
    Click [Advanced Find]
    Inside Advanced Find click the [Advanced ] tab

Input the name you want to search inside [Search for Word(s)] e.g. type "John"
    Click the tab scroll list just below that to choose [In:] ( name fields only )
    Click [Find Now]

It will immediately show all instances of John whether in the First Name field or Middle Name Field or Last Name Field. No waiting.

It will even show cases of people named "Johnathan" or "Johnny"
    i try tmr..

I miss Office 97. Simple, small, and it had everything I needed.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I miss Office 97. Simple, small, and it had everything I needed.
    ya.. in fact how often do u need all the features in even old version of Office?

most of us don't even know most of the features i assume...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12