Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

  1. #1
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    I love to eat and whenever possible I try to take a shot of the food I eat. But I am just starting to do so, so I have not alot to share here. C&C is most welcomed. I hope to improve with feedback.

    #1 Gelare: Waffle with Ice Cream


  2. #2
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    #2 Gelare Waffle From a Different Angle


  3. #3

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    hmm, i think you need to consider what is the focus point.

    for the first photo, 70% front portion is not in focus while the focus is on yellow cream(?), this gives an weird look to the photo.

  4. #4
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    #3 Frolick: Yoghurt


  5. #5
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by AnsQ View Post
    hmm, i think you need to consider what is the focus point.

    for the first photo, 70% front portion is not in focus while the focus is on yellow cream(?), this gives an weird look to the photo.
    Thanks.. I think i didn't control my DOF well right?

  6. #6

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    the yogurt is a much better attempt
    but looks under

  7. #7
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    the yogurt is a much better attempt
    but looks under
    Under as in underexposed?

  8. #8

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Under as in underexposed?
    yeah..

  9. #9

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Thanks.. I think i didn't control my DOF well right?
    Hmm, I think your DoF is abit thin. But the actual issue with the first photo seems to be where you focused. If you look at the photo, the only parts that are in focus are the text "University of Australia".

  10. #10
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by AnsQ View Post
    Hmm, I think your DoF is abit thin. But the actual issue with the first photo seems to be where you focused. If you look at the photo, the only parts that are in focus are the text "University of Australia".
    Yes. I found myself wondering what aperture to use whenever I am shooting food. Would it be more ideal if I fill my frame with the food and use a smaller aperture, say f/13 or 16?

    The following is a shot of calamari taken at f/7.1 at 1/13 seconds, ISO 800.

  11. #11
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    #4 Calamari at La Cantina in Venezia



    Shot taken at ISO 800, f/7.1 and shutter speed of 1/13.

  12. #12

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    #4 Calamari at La Cantina in Venezia



    Shot taken at ISO 800, f/7.1 and shutter speed of 1/13.
    I think this shot would look better if you took it from a higher angle and the spoon facing u (to me it gives a feeling of the food being served).
    Also try to choose a piece of food that provides the most attraction, instead of conveniently focusing on the center piece.

  13. #13
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by CupNoodle View Post
    I think this shot would look better if you took it from a higher angle and the spoon facing u (to me it gives a feeling of the food being served).
    Also try to choose a piece of food that provides the most attraction, instead of conveniently focusing on the center piece.
    I was thinking about the angle also, I use 50mm as I don't have 35mm so the angle was a little tight, plus the lighting was pretty dim. I thought the angle was pretty low for a dish that is pretty flat and horizontal. Thanks for pointing it out!

    Actually I was thinking, the pieces of calamari was the main attraction, so I was wondering how to focus on it adequately without having to reduce the DOF so much that the shot turns out too dim as it was sun set timing.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 13th September 2010 at 06:37 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    I think the issue with the first 2 pictures is you went closer than the lens can focus on. The 50mm probably has 40-50cm minimum focusing distance (no idea cause I use Nikon)?

    Btw, taking from a higher angle like CupNoodle suggested would give you a better DOF because the food items would be relatively closer to the camera/lens.

  15. #15

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    I think the issue with the first 2 pictures is you went closer than the lens can focus on. The 50mm probably has 40-50cm minimum focusing distance (no idea cause I use Nikon)?

    Btw, taking from a higher angle like CupNoodle suggested would give you a better DOF because the food items would be relatively closer to the camera/lens.
    Yep! agree with this and all the comments! I think 13-16 is a little too small. You'll end up with shaky photos and little DOF.. IMO actually f 4-6 is enough Just my 2cents! Cheers!
    -YANLING :)-
    Flickr

  16. #16
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    I think the issue with the first 2 pictures is you went closer than the lens can focus on. The 50mm probably has 40-50cm minimum focusing distance (no idea cause I use Nikon)?

    Btw, taking from a higher angle like CupNoodle suggested would give you a better DOF because the food items would be relatively closer to the camera/lens.
    Yea. I took that shot when I first bought my 50mm not long. I did not understand about minimum focus distance when I took that shot (the first and second).

    Thanks for the technical explanation about taking from a higher angle.

  17. #17
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpiggy209 View Post
    Yep! agree with this and all the comments! I think 13-16 is a little too small. You'll end up with shaky photos and little DOF.. IMO actually f 4-6 is enough Just my 2cents! Cheers!
    For the fourth shot i tried with 7.1, haven't had the chance to try with 4-5.6. Hmm, but reading everyone's response, perhaps I could have taken a higher angle and try shooting at f/5.6?

  18. #18

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Yea. I took that shot when I first bought my 50mm not long. I did not understand about minimum focus distance when I took that shot (the first and second).

    Thanks for the technical explanation about taking from a higher angle.
    at a higher angle, u will not suffer from the thin plane of focus even if u go down to f/1.4 because if u manage to get the food in focus most of the other pieces would be at almost the same plane of focus.

    and with ur lens wide open, u can shoot at darker conditions too!

  19. #19
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by CupNoodle View Post
    at a higher angle, u will not suffer from the thin plane of focus even if u go down to f/1.4 because if u manage to get the food in focus most of the other pieces would be at almost the same plane of focus.

    and with ur lens wide open, u can shoot at darker conditions too!
    Ahh i see i see. Higher angle meaning like 45 degrees from table right. Somewhere between top-down and the angle which i took the calamari shots u mean?

  20. #20

    Default Re: [nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

    Yes yes vary the angle of shoot. sometimes taking it from top down can be nice also.

    of course it can be difficult since the food can be really tempting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •