Thread: What's the best way/product to clean sensor (Nikon D700) myself?

Question What's the best way/product to clean sensor (Nikon D700) myself?

I have a D700 that I'd like to clean the sensor myself. I'm not sure what is the best way/product to to do the cleaning and I'm not sure how easily the sensor can be scratched. So many different products on sale.

I recently had 3 dust specks in the center that can't be removed by blower so I sent to Nikon servie centre for cleaning. When got it back, now have 18 specks all around the sides. 4 of which were huge! Returned to them to clean again and was told "don't expect 100% clean", and told me try not to shoot more than F8 so won't see dust. I have to leave my camera there for few days... The camera is still there and I donno what is gonna happen but from now on, I want to clean the sensor myself

Anyone done cleaning on D700 before? Can advise?
    Last edited by merliondude; 7th September 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: What's the best way/product to clean sensor (Nikon D700) myself?

I'm using the LensPen SensorKlear Loupe Kit w/SensorKlear II, the SerorKlear Loupe is very useful, let you see the sensor clearly, so if you're using other sensor clearing tool can also use the loupe to check for dust specks.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

lenspen effective for welded dust?

i use 2 things: blower for unwelded dust

and for welded dust, have to use eclipse solution + sensor swab (or replacement, e.g. pec pads + sensor swab spatula)

Hi Catchlights,

I read up on the lenspen. The website says it uses a cleaning compound. A little more digging and I found that it is some kind of black powder... in that case, will the powder end up being deposited on the sensor?
    Last edited by merliondude; 7th September 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

don't shoot me but i use a clean straw to just suck the dirt out.

i get those from mosburger as they are individually wrapped.

been doing this about every two months or if i see dust for the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Palangsi View Post

suck? you mean using your mouth? or some other apparatus?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    lenspen effective for welded dust?

i use 2 things: blower for unwelded dust

and for welded dust, have to use eclipse solution + sensor swab (or replacement, e.g. pec pads + sensor swab spatula)
    Where might I find that in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by merliondude View Post
    Hi Catchlights,

I read up on the lenspen. The website says it uses a cleaning compound. A little more digging and I found that it is some kind of black powder... in that case, will the powder end up being deposited on the sensor?
    it is not a secret, remember the old grandma tips of using newspaper to clear mirror and glass? is carbon power.

you can read their FAQ, http://www.lenspen.com/404

anyway, you may not comfortable to use lenspen product to clear your sensor, but their sensor loupe is cheapest and best product you can find, you can do your own research on all the sensor loupe available in the market to see is it truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Palangsi View Post

lol, beside artist paint brush, scotch tape, another innovative makeshift product use for sensor clearing.

i second nightmare method.
    Using this method as well to clean. Cheap and get the job done.
    can get the solution from CP

yes suck out the dust with mouth

okie..will drop by mos burger soon
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

Yea, gonna try the sucking method as well haha

Sucking method?
    What happen if our saliva accidentally drip inside or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    Where might I find that in Singapore?
    cathay photo.

but pls, if you are not confident, get someone who does it regularly to demo on his own unit.

9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Will go Cathay photo look for cleaning stuff next week... today is day 3... my D700 still at Nikon for sensor cleaning... sigh

Agree with Night86mare. I simply use the Eclipse cleaning solution.

Video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV_DT2kEEsI

The sensor swabs are pretty expensive. So i buy just one swab instead of a whole pack.
    But buy a pack of Eclipse PecPad which are actually lint free tissue, then mount the PecPad over the swab handle.
    http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/howto.html

Saves a ton of money & time.