Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help setting up router

Default Re: Need help setting up router

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    The cable modem is probably just a modem.. it doesn't have router function. hence, there isn't any conflict with the router.

Turning the device into bridged mode might disable the modem function as well, transforming it into a switch/bridge, depending on the device. Not saying that it will, but just to say that it might.

The cable modem works with the router in DHCP mode. Before that I used the router with ADSL modem in PPPoE mode, which doesn't work this time, and so does the DHCP mode.

Will try out the modem bridge mode tonight.

TS, are you trying to use the linksys as wireless access point?

if yes, maybe you can test setting the linksys in bridge mode? It may then function as wireless access point/bridge/switch.
    Yes, will try it tonight too.

Thanks.

Other then login, there maybe other settings that is ISP dependent.
    That is my biggest mystery, will post the connection status tonight.

Guess the case is, the thomson modem provided by M1 can connect. The linksys modem that used to work with SNBB can't work with M1.

TS, you got 3 modem? cable modem, thomson & linksys?
    Technically I only own the Linksys AM300 modem that I used with SNBB. The other 2 are "rented" from Starhub and M1 respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post
    Hi ts, u mentioned that you were able to get connected if u plug the desktop/laptop directly into the modem in a few posts back.

So as of current, does it meant tat you cant get connected whether you plug the computer directly into the modem or thru a router?
    Currently:

PC -> Thomson modem -> internet
    PC -> Linksys modem -> no internet
    PC -> Linksys router -> either ADSL modem -> no internet
    PC -> Linksys router -> cable model -> internet

Hmm..
    i think its like the case in my prev post.
    modem<-computer is ok... but when u add in the router in between. it can't

hopefully is a fairly simple case of setting the modem in bridge mode since the router will be controlling the actual connectivity within the router itself, instead of the modem in the former setup, and utilizing the modem to connect to the ISP.

Think TS is trying to use the router WRT54GC + modem Thomson brand to connect now

For TS seperate issue, i believe for the linksys adsl router cum modem, the userid n password is most prolly the main cause.
    I think so too, will try that out tonight. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Actually, TS should use bridge mode if you want to connect an ADSL modem to a non-ADSL based router. I did the same thing for the Singtel ADSL modem to link to my Linksys WRT54G wifi router. Unless you are not using wifi, what you can do is to mainly do an uplink to the ADSL router but using a RJ45 ethernet cable connecting to any ports on the router and the modem.
    So you can plug the modem on one of the many ethernet port instead of the "uplink" port?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nielson View Post
    The cable modem works with the router in DHCP mode. Before that I used the router with ADSL modem in PPPoE mode, which doesn't work this time, and so does the DHCP mode.

Will try out the modem bridge mode tonight.
    cable modem with DHCP? hmm..

Previously I tried some configuring with starhub modem, and noticed that their modem have no routing function (maybe different plan/model from yours).

The IP address is actually given by the starhub, not the local modem.

hence, it's not easy to have more than 1 computer accessing the internet w/o external/additional router. The modem also have only 1 network socket for 1 cable.

cable modem with DHCP? hmm..

Previously I tried some configuring with starhub modem, and noticed that their modem have no routing function (maybe different plan/model from yours).

The IP address is actually given by the starhub, not the local modem.

hence, it's not easy to have more than 1 computer accessing the internet w/o external/additional router. The modem also have only 1 network socket for 1 cable.
    I didn't know that, I always thought all cable modems are simply plug and play and no setup required.

Hmm... its quite a pain to set the thomson modem to bridged mode.

found this off the internet. at least this will get the thomson modem + linksys router up first

This can get it to work, basically this method is to let the modem do the work and make your router into a WAP (wireless access point). However, for this method, u will lose the router's routing capabilities.
    Link here

Thereafter, you can google on how to change e modem to bridged mode and set the pppOe on router to connect from the router thru e modem.
    I did google but it seems quite troublesome to set e modem to bridge mode.

See here
    Post #3

Hmm... its quite a pain to set the thomson modem to bridged mode.

found this off the internet. at least this will get the thomson modem + linksys router up first

This can get it to work, basically this method is to let the modem do the work and make your router into a WAP (wireless access point). However, for this method, u will lose the router's routing capabilities.
    Link here

Thereafter, you can google on how to change e modem to bridged mode and set the pppOe on router to connect from the router thru e modem.
    I did google but it seems quite troublesome to set e modem to bridge mode.

See here
    Post #3
    Thanks for the research, which prompted my other research, which made my Linksys AM300 ADSL modem works! It turned out that I need to set VPI=0 and VCI=100. Those numbers are for Singnet but I guess there is a chance that it would work since M1 connects through Singtel.

Next will be the router. Back to work now.

Turning the device into bridged mode might disable the modem function as well, transforming it into a switch/bridge, depending on the device. Not saying that it will, but just to say that it might.
    Not exactly. It simply disable the routing feature within the set to use the modem as it should be than in its gateway mode.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Guys, I put the Linksys AM300 ADSL modem on "bridge only" mode, VPI=0, VCI=100, DHCP off. The Linksys WRT54GC router to PPPoE mode with DHCP on. Now it worked perfect.

If I were to put the Linksys AM300 ADSL modem on PPPoE mode, what mode should I put the router in? There isn't a bridge mode. Static IP mode?

Thanks guys, this place is great!

I didn't know that, I always thought all cable modems are simply plug and play and no setup required.
    true.. plug and play.. but only 1 computer connected to internet mah..

I don't mean configuring the modem.. actually I was configuring the network.. typo..

So you can plug the modem on one of the many ethernet port instead of the "uplink" port?
    Provided your modem is an ADSL router modem type. It itself must have ethernet ports for the uplink. For Singtel, the modem which I can bridge and uplink is the 2Wire Mio ADSL router modem.

Guys, I put the Linksys AM300 ADSL modem on "bridge only" mode, VPI=0, VCI=100, DHCP off. The Linksys WRT54GC router to PPPoE mode with DHCP on. Now it worked perfect.

If I were to put the Linksys AM300 ADSL modem on PPPoE mode, what mode should I put the router in? There isn't a bridge mode. Static IP mode?

Glad that bridge mode works . You should leave the router as it is and set your security function. Usually, I'll make sure that I have the following things set properly.

1) WPA-2 security key
    2) Change of wifi SSID
    3) Set to MAC filtering mode
    4) Specify the router IP to make it an unique gateway for your systems
    5) Static all IPs accessing via the router
    6) TCP/IP & UDP port forwarding restrictions

Once the above are done, the security for your network should be neat.

i nt sure my terms are right.

but the modem usually does not get referred to be in PPPoE mode but rather bridge or routed.
    For use with a router, the modem needs to be in a bridged mode.

Then in the router, select PPPoE connection mode (meaning need userid and password) to get the router to connect thru the modem to ur ISP.

The security and stuffs can be done after you have got everything up n proper and is able to surf the net n etc.

If the modem is in PPPoE mode (w/ routing feature on), the WRT54G router should be configured as "Automatic Configuration - DHCP".

However you're reminded that by doing so, the job of establishing the connection will be done by the modem itself than the WRT54G router. If the WRT54G is also set to PPPoE mode, the connection will just simply refuse to work as the router is unable to establish any connection since the modem is handling it.

Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always set the modem to bridged mode if you're using it with another router which is set to PPPoE mode.

P e r s p e c t i v e

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12