Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help setting up router

Default Need help setting up router

My router used to be connected to the cable modem in DHCP mode, it works fine.

Now I am switching to ADSL, and thus the ADSL modem. In the past I remember on the router I need to switch to PPPoE mode and key in the user name + password. Now the router won't connect to the internet, what am I missing here? Btw the ADSL modem when connected directly to PC can connect to the internet. The router is a Linksys WRT54GC ver 2.0.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need help setting up router

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nielson View Post
    My router used to be connected to the cable modem in DHCP mode, it works fine.

Now I am switching to ADSL, and thus the ADSL modem. In the past I remember on the router I need to switch to PPPoE mode and key in the user name + password. Now the router won't connect to the internet, what am I missing here? Btw the ADSL modem when connected directly to PC can connect to the internet. The router is a Linksys WRT54GC ver 2.0.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you need to change from DHCP to PPPoE and key in username and passowrd.

Anyway, what's the brand and model of your ADSL modem?? If it come together with the internet package, it might be a modem router.

Have a nice day.

Hi,

I did use the PPPoE mode and keyed in the username and password.

The router is not from the ISP. The modem is Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 v6 from the ISP. Modem does not have build in router.

Thanks.

Hi,
    Hi,

I did use the PPPoE mode and keyed in the username and password.

The router is not from the ISP. The modem is Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 v6 from the ISP. Modem does not have build in router.

Thanks.
    The Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 v6 is a modem router (I'm using the same one). Try plug-in your ethernet cable to the ethernet of the Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 and the default configuration should give you an IP address. Open your web browser and key in the gateway IP address and follow the on-screen instruction and key in the username and password. I think the Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 also come with a CD to help you configurate it.

After the modem router is configure, you should be able to access internet. If you want to add the Linksys WRT54GC router in, the straight forward way is to connect the internet port of the Linksys WRT54GC to the ethernet port of the Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 via an ethernet cable. Then configure your Linksys WRT54GC to use DHCP.

Have a nice day.

I guess the router needs to be configured to disable DHCP server function..

by default, a router will act as DHCP server.. there's be chaos if there is 2 DHCP server in a network..

I can connect the Thomson modem fine when plugged directly to a computer through ethernet cable. It is when I use together with Linksys router that won't work. I tried both PPPoE and DHCP mode on the router. In DHCP mode it won't work at all. In PPPoE mode I get DNS1 and DNS2 but not the gateway IP, DNS3 and all that. I will try disabling the DHCP on one of the device, so you suggest the one on the Linksys be disabled?

i also have a router connected to a main router at home. this is what i had to do to get it working. try this setting:

main router IP address (your thomson): 192.168.1.1
    secondary router IP address (linksys): 192.168.2.1
    eat. drink. shoot

I can connect the Thomson modem fine when plugged directly to a computer through ethernet cable. It is when I use together with Linksys router that won't work. I tried both PPPoE and DHCP mode on the router. In DHCP mode it won't work at all. In PPPoE mode I get DNS1 and DNS2 but not the gateway IP, DNS3 and all that. I will try disabling the DHCP on one of the device, so you suggest the one on the Linksys be disabled?
    Yes, that reduces the IP confusion issues.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    i also have a router connected to a main router at home. this is what i had to do to get it working. try this setting:

main router IP address (your thomson): 192.168.1.1
    secondary router IP address (linksys): 192.168.2.1
    Nice solution!

They are already set to have different IP, but I can not access the modem setup page through the Linksys router, is it due to the double DHCP thing? But in the past I have the same thing and it works.

They are already set to have different IP, but I can not access the modem setup page through the Linksys router, is it due to the double DHCP thing? But in the past I have the same thing and it works.
    dont think u can configure ur modem via another router..maybe other pros can advise on this
    eat. drink. shoot

Perhaps you might wish to set the ST536 to bridged mode and then attempt to establish the connection via Linksys WRT54G again. BTW the DHCP in WRT54G must be left on.

Once its in bridged mode, it will disable all the routing features, including DHCP in the ST536. It should work by then.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

1) put the modem in bidge mode (this will be explained below)
    2) router set to pppoe with username and password (i believe this has already been done)

If you can connect in this method mentioned below means ur modem is not set to bridge mode.
    internet <-- modem <-- desktop/laptop

from the setup you've mentioned, you will not have connection when you change to the below configuration
    internet <-- modem <-- router <-- desktop/laptop.

There are usually 2 modes for modems.
    #1, the modem is the one to get connected to the internet and then allow any computer/desktop connected to it go be able to get to the WWW

#2 to be able to connect via a router where by the router will be one that will do the connection instead of the modem (ur modem is still required of cos) You will need to change the modem to bridge mode (you've got to read the manual for this)

Thanks all for all the wonderful information, will try that out when I get home.

A separate issue. I have a Linksys AM300 ADSL modem that used to work with Singnet ADSL. Now I am with M1 and it doesn't work. As far as I can tell I used the same settings (apart from login of course). I wonder if it is due to some wrong settings, or the modem is incompatible with M1, or if it is faulty? The modem can detect the ADSL line but can't log in.

The cable modem is probably just a modem.. it doesn't have router function. hence, there isn't any conflict with the router.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post

Once its in bridged mode, it will disable all the routing features, including DHCP in the ST536. It should work by then.
    Turning the device into bridged mode might disable the modem function as well, transforming it into a switch/bridge, depending on the device. Not saying that it will, but just to say that it might.

TS, are you trying to use the linksys as wireless access point?

if yes, maybe you can test setting the linksys in bridge mode? It may then function as wireless access point/bridge/switch.

A separate issue. I have a Linksys AM300 ADSL modem that used to work with Singnet ADSL. Now I am with M1 and it doesn't work. As far as I can tell I used the same settings (apart from login of course). I wonder if it is due to some wrong settings, or the modem is incompatible with M1, or if it is faulty? The modem can detect the ADSL line but can't log in.
    Other then login, there maybe other settings that is ISP dependent.

Thanks all for all the wonderful information, will try that out when I get home.

Hi ts, u mentioned that you were able to get connected if u plug the desktop/laptop directly into the modem in a few posts back.

So as of current, does it meant tat you cant get connected whether you plug the computer directly into the modem or thru a router?

A separate issue. I have a Linksys AM300 ADSL modem that used to work with Singnet ADSL. Now I am with M1 and it doesn't work.
    The modem is Thomson SpeedTouch ST536 v6 from the ISP.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post
    Hi ts, u mentioned that you were able to get connected if u plug the desktop/laptop directly into the modem in a few posts back.

So as of current, does it meant tat you cant get connected whether you plug the computer directly into the modem or thru a router?
    Guess the case is, the thomson modem provided by M1 can connect. The linksys modem that used to work with SNBB can't work with M1.

TS, you got 3 modem? cable modem, thomson & linksys?

Btw the ADSL modem when connected directly to PC can connect to the internet. The router is a Linksys WRT54GC ver 2.0.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Guess the case is, the thomson modem provided by M1 can connect. The linksys modem that used to work with SNBB can't work with M1.

TS, you got 3 modem? cable modem, thomson & linksys?
    Hmm..
    i think its like the case in my prev post.
    modem<-computer is ok... but when u add in the router in between. it can't

hopefully is a fairly simple case of setting the modem in bridge mode since the router will be controlling the actual connectivity within the router itself, instead of the modem in the former setup, and utilizing the modem to connect to the ISP.

Think TS is trying to use the router WRT54GC + modem Thomson brand to connect now

For TS seperate issue, i believe for the linksys adsl router cum modem, the userid n password is most prolly the main cause.

Actually, TS should use bridge mode if you want to connect an ADSL modem to a non-ADSL based router. I did the same thing for the Singtel ADSL modem to link to my Linksys WRT54G wifi router. Unless you are not using wifi, what you can do is to mainly do an uplink to the ADSL router but using a RJ45 ethernet cable connecting to any ports on the router and the modem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast