Thread: Laminate Printed photos last longer?

Default Laminate Printed photos last longer?

Hi,

I printed quite a no of my kids and some of my favourite photos.. intending to keep them for as long as I can...

i know it can last up to 25 years if i print on the latest Canon PR 101 and with original ink on my i865

but i want to keep it longer than that...

would laminating the photos help them keep their colours longer?

Thanks in advance of any info...

michael

If I"m not wrong, exposure to air is only one main factor of deterioration, exposure to light esp sunlight is another one too.

From my own experience, i found that inkjet printed photos last very much longer when i put them in the office. I guess the airconditioning and the low humidity contributed to this. The same photo in my own home would have faded in about half a year or more. IMHO i believe it is a combination of heat, moisture and exposure to air that fades a photo.
    Early last year i bought myself a hot laminator and i discovered that laminated photo last as long as those in the office. These days i always laminate my pictures.
    If u are using HP printers, i highkly recommend u get the newly introduced HP Everyday Semi-Glossy Photo papers. Although the paper is a little filmsy, they are cheap (about $14+ in packs of 100 A6-size) and when laminated, the thickness is just nice. You can buy this paper from certain Popular Bookstore but be warned that stocks runs out quickly.

This advice is true for archiving most materials, such as photos, prints, negatives and CDs... store them in a dark, dry and cold environment, with as little ozone as possible.

Light, humidity and heat are the worst enemies of such materials, and so is ozone in the air-flow. So if you keep your prints framed up, it should help to prolong the life-span of the prints, more so if your glass is treated to minimize UV transmission. The air-conditioning helps to keep the heat away, and of course hang your photo prints away from direct sunlight!

print on archival type papers and use a pigment based inkjet.

Laminating helps, but having a hard plastic card over the picture tends to spoil it (for me anyway).

Keep photos away from direct sunlight. That will fade just about anything.