Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vitacon uv filter. kena con?

Default Re: vitacon uv filter. kena con?

Quote Originally Posted by stonely0 View Post
    Guys i experience the same situation is Peninsula Plaza just last week...

The shop is opposite Cathay Photo... i actually wanted to buy from Cathay Photo but its so crowded and i'm in a rush so i decided to pop in to the shop opposite Cathay Photos, well actually it is located 2 doors down opposite Cathay Photo.

While inside i ask for 2 UV lens and i was expecting a well known brand. Instead i was offer 2 lens... one is a Vitacon and the other i can't even see the brand at all. I was told that they are from US and are as good as the common HOYA. I open it up and inspect... everything looks brand new and ok to me. I was given a discount even though i did not ask for it and was quote a final price of $50. Fine with me i pay up and hoping i did not buy something that are worth even cheaper outside.

Then something happen....

The owner wipe out a box of Wide angle convertor with Close up lens... He told me is very popular and alot of ppl buy from him... I was like really??? i took a look and ask for the price... i was quote SGD$250 i was like 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?' i remember seeing similiar thing in Amazon for much less then USD50!!! i say thanks and paid for my lens and left. I know i was being con but too bad. As he was showing me the convertor my card was already swipe.

I mean that shop look 'ok' to me with lots of stock on shelf i mean how bad can his biz be if he is a con and that is why i went in...

Is my instint right? Those convertor don't even worth SGD$250 rite?
    I was quite confused at first, cos I thought opposite Cathay Photo was... Cathay Photo. But I realise you're talking about a different shop.. I think.

No, the converters are not worth that much.

And you know you were being conned but "too bad"??!!!. Wow. You have cash to splash.
    Olympian

The shop is opposite Cathay Photo... i actually wanted to buy from Cathay Photo but its so crowded and i'm in a rush so i decided to pop in to the shop opposite Cathay Photos, well actually it is located 2 doors down opposite Cathay Photo.

While inside i ask for 2 UV lens and i was expecting a well known brand. Instead i was offer 2 lens... one is a Vitacon and the other i can't even see the brand at all. I was told that they are from US and are as good as the common HOYA. I open it up and inspect... everything looks brand new and ok to me. I was given a discount even though i did not ask for it and was quote a final price of $50. Fine with me i pay up and hoping i did not buy something that are worth even cheaper outside.

The owner wipe out a box of Wide angle convertor with Close up lens... He told me is very popular and alot of ppl buy from him... I was like really??? i took a look and ask for the price... i was quote SGD$250 i was like 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?' i remember seeing similiar thing in Amazon for much less then USD50!!! i say thanks and paid for my lens and left. I know i was being con but too bad. As he was showing me the convertor my card was already swipe.

I mean that shop look 'ok' to me with lots of stock on shelf i mean how bad can his biz be if he is a con and that is why i went in...

Lucky you did not get the converters, totally not worth $250. As general rule, do not buy things when you are in a rush, you tend to miss out components or get pressured into buying. Funan is just a few steps away, I guess you are too busy to walk to TK or SLR-R in this case
    Last edited by spree86; 7th December 2010 at 04:55 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    I was quite confused at first, cos I thought opposite Cathay Photo was... Cathay Photo. But I realise you're talking about a different shop.. I think.

No, the converters are not worth that much.

And you know you were being conned but "too bad"??!!!. Wow. You have cash to splash.
    I believe its Photocam...

it's the shop just opposite of Alex Photo(i don't see any name of the shops on the door), that is already been known for tourist death trap, just last saturday when i'm looking at 2nd hand lens at alex photo i over heard a conversation of the uncle there trying to sell a fancier tripod for S$200 the same model as what i bought for S$60++, i already want to tell off the angmo that look already desperate to buy it but i keep it to my self cos i dun want to stir any problem and i know angmos can afford that pricing
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    I believe its Photocam...
    Mm okay noted.
    Olympian

From my own experience, vitacon UV filter degrades image sharpness and contrast.
    It was so bad that u will start to doubt your skill or ur lens.
    Since u bought it, u may want to use it as a coaster for ur cup

Quote Originally Posted by futsal123 View Post
    Since u bought it, u may want to use it as a coaster for ur cup
    Not a good idea.........

I fear for his cup.
    Olympian

as for the wide angle converter im not too sure, depends on brand and quality although i think 250 is rather extreme.

shops like that exist alot. they make money off unsuspecting tourists. that's why they still can appear to have lots of stock and look reputable. if not how do u think their con continues to work?

oh well just treat it as a piece of expensive glass that is used to protect your lens front element. that's probably the main reason why people buy uv filters anw..

Maybe we should build a thread to list down those cheat shops....
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    They will change the name as others change cars or lenses. The rest remains the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Maybe we should build a thread to list down those cheat shops....
    Best is to take photo of the sale guy, shop location and unit no (cannot be change).

Seems like everybody conned by the salesperson in singapore am I right?, I got conned too, here's my story : I was looking for wide range lenses (17 - 55) for my 400D canon then I go to far east (not to sim lim since I heard a lot of stories about sim Kim square reputation), apparently its just the same . The sales person said "you don't have to buy that lenses," then he offered me a vita con teleconverter 62 mm with macro lenses, for SGD$860 wow... (I'm from Indonesia if convert to IDR it worth To. 6 million, i can buy another dslr camera or 2 tamron lenses 17 - 40 ) I ask him to give a reasonable price and I offered SGD$260 including the CPL filter surprisingly he said "yes". Does anybody know the actual price for vitacon? And why the salesperson offered me the vita con? Is it happened only to tourist? Or also happened too Singaporean also?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Best is to take photo of the sale guy, shop location and unit no (cannot be change).
    I took photo of the sales person, LOL but I forgot the store name,

Sorry but not everyone gets conned....and nope it has nothing to do with your nationality. As long as you are a target it doesn't matter where you are from. Sim Lim has one or two trustworthy shops if you do your research, on the other hand, far east is good for street clothes, not cameras.

Of course they will give you crap products from vitacon instead of quality stuff as their aim is to dig out as much money from you with minimal cost.

I think it happens in many countries...whatever you want to buy...do research on the prices first.

Smile Re: vitacon uv filter. kena con?

There are 3 or 5 cameras store in far east.
    Maybe next time I do the research first before I decide to buy something...

Quote Originally Posted by pringadi View Post
    Seems like everybody conned by the salesperson in singapore am I right?, I got conned too, here's my story : I was looking for wide range lenses (17 - 55) for my 400D canon then I go to far east (not to sim lim since I heard a lot of stories about sim Kim square reputation), apparently its just the same . The sales person said "you don't have to buy that lenses," then he offered me a vita con teleconverter 62 mm with macro lenses, for SGD$860 wow... (I'm from Indonesia if convert to IDR it worth To. 6 million, i can buy another dslr camera or 2 tamron lenses 17 - 40 ) I ask him to give a reasonable price and I offered SGD$260 including the CPL filter surprisingly he said "yes". Does anybody know the actual price for vitacon? And why the salesperson offered me the vita con? Is it happened only to tourist? Or also happened too Singaporean also?
    Sad story.. do you really want to put salt in your wound?
    Vitacon is a local Singaporean brand, may the deities know where they get the materials from. UV filter are maybe worth 10 bucks. These converters maybe 50, but that's it. S$260 for an unknown CPL (which brand? also Vitacon?) and this converter thingy is a rip-off. Sorry for you. You were already on the right track in rejecting the ... price offer of S$860 (I'm really speechless about this...).. but finally he got you for the lower price, still.
    Yes, it seems that these crappy Vita-con thingies are sold to tourists as well as locals who show a massive lack of knowledge and understanding.
    Forget the story, quick. Move on and keep it in mind as $200 tuition fees.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    and i know angmos can afford that pricing
    That is a stupid, ignorant and racist comment. You probably have more money than those ang mohs who just got ripped off.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by pringadi View Post
    Does anybody know the actual price for vitacon? And why the salesperson offered me the vita con? Is it happened only to tourist? Or also happened too Singaporean also?

Thx
    At most? 30-40 SGD. Those vitacon lenses are actually designed for Handycams. You would have to pay me a lot of money to put any of them on my lenses, they are that bad.

Think about it: If a simple 200-300 SGD attachment could magically increase the wideangle with good quality, you can bet the camera manufacturers themselves would sell those adapters.
    Alpha

[QUOTE=Rashkae;6775901]At most? 30-40 SGD. Those vitacon lenses are actually designed for Handycams. You would have to pay me a lot of money to put any of them on my lenses, they are that bad.

Now I know the real price, I can buy 7 vitacon with the price he offered to me,
    thx for the info guys.....

i never heard of vitacon.. anyway, i just wanted to hijack this thread (since we're on UV) to ask if i can leave the uv filter on the lens? thought of using it as protection cuz i almost scratched my lens...
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    i never heard of vitacon.. anyway, i just wanted to hijack this thread (since we're on UV) to ask if i can leave the uv filter on the lens? thought of using it as protection cuz i almost scratched my lens...
    This is a thread about being conned by Vitacon UV filters, and you want to hijack it by asking a question already answered 1,000+ times on here and all over the web?
    Alpha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast