Thread: Market rate for Architectural Photography in SG?

Default Market rate for Architectural Photography in SG?

I have never done Architectural shots directly for a developer. The projects they cover are mostly Condominiums, MRT stations, etc. Mostly day shots are needed, night shots are needed to be done only for certain buildings.

I've heard from someone that the market rate per photo would be a few hundreds depending on how tough the shots are as well as how experienced you are. With this, I am wondering what are the market rates range for one photo/per project? As this would be my first time dealing directly with a developer, I would not want to charge too high or low and would like to know the market rate as a gauge for my quotation. Thank you in advance!
    Nikon D300 | Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | SB600
    Portfolio

Default Re: Market rate for Architectural Photography in SG?

using things to consider, to help you quote for the photo..

usages, and duration, all important.

and dont be surprised that each photo will cost thousands of dollars...

Wow! Thousands of dollars for a photo? I think that would be a little too much for the experience I have. As I have experience in wedding/fashion shoots, less on architectural.

Don't mind if I ask, would a range of $150-$250 per photo be a good start? Or would that be a little too low for full copyright usage? At the same time using that experience to widen the range of my architectural portfolio.
    Nikon D300 | Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | SB600
    Portfolio

I've provided some information on charges for architectural photography a few weeks ago..... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740036

Standard rates that I go with for most of my clients in Singapore hover around SGD 1.5k per project. Span around 1 week to complete it depends on many factors such as weather, lighting conditions, and availability of locations, etc. This rate also means I don't get to shoot certain projects that client(s) may feel is too small for such a fee.

This is why a quotation based on per photo will work better usually because you can adjust the rate and amount of photos to be delivered depending on the size of the project.

Works in both ways and very much, it depends on your clients. Some don't mind paying per picture (in fact some interior design firms work out pricing based on that) and some prefer to work on per project. Also, the pricing that works per project in Singapore works out very different from that of clients in Europe (from those that I worked with before).

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer. The pricing model that one adopts would eventually have to fit into the revenue projection. So far it works and all i can say is photography is a service not a product and therefore, don't go into commodity pricing model.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    This is why a quotation based on per photo will work better usually because you can adjust the rate and amount of photos to be delivered depending on the size of the project.

You don't have to tell your clients how you arrived at the quotation. Price per photo serves as a guide for you to work out a lump sum quotation. Like I mentioned before, it offers more flexibility for smaller jobs. You can either adjust your rates or the number of photos to be delivered based on the client's budget, while meeting the objectives of course. To some people, its easier to convince them if you have something more quantifiable.
    Last edited by Kit; 5th September 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks for the pricing for both project-based and per photo, at least now I have a clearer mind of a reasonable pricing to charge the client (which is not to undercharge neither to overcharge). Thank you guys for the inputs and all of which would be into my list of considerations.
    Portfolio

thanks......

> $150-$250 per photo be a good start? Or would that be a little too low for full copyright usage?

Absolutely! "Full copyright usage" means you're giving the photos away and they no longer belong to you! You want to give your work away, i.e. sell the copyright, and never be able to make any more money from them in your life time, for S$150?

Or do you mean full, i.e. unlimited, usage rights?

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    > $150-$250 per photo be a good start? Or would that be a little too low for full copyright usage?

Absolutely! "Full copyright usage" means you're giving the photos away and they no longer belong to you! You want to give your work away, i.e. sell the copyright, and never be able to make any more money from them in your life time, for S$150?

Or do you mean full, i.e. unlimited, usage rights?
    under the IP law of SG, when photographers are paid to shoot, is consider "work for hired", the clients/customers own the rights to the photos, even it is paid for $1.00. Unless they enter a new agreement to supersede this.

so photographers need to let clients/customers sign an agreement before the shoot, else the photographers can kiss goodbye to the photos once they collected the money.

please do not resurrect an old thread as TS don't need the answers any more.
    and you need to ask similar question, please start your own thread.

this thread closed.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio