Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - Panasonic LX5

Default Re: REVIEW - Panasonic LX5

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Come on, have you seen the dynamic range of the large sensors lately. I don't dare look for long, because I will feel I need to upgrade.
    i won't even think about it
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Blog Entries

I am always going with black cameras ........... but the pearl white LX5 is really chio imho .... i know its cosmetics but that pearl white is really nice on the LX5

ditto with the pearl white GF1 that Xiang just bought and had along yesterday too....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Lx3ChuA View Post
    Is it possible to compare side by side with the Lx3... Sorie for the trouble...
    Have to pass cam back liao so cannot test. Also, would need an LX3.

You have convinced me. I think I will get the LX5.

Thanks for dropping by DP!

Come on, have you seen the dynamic range of the large sensors lately. I don't dare look for long, because I will feel I need to upgrade.

Hahaha! Aloy knows the DR of the Hasselblads!

Yes, you are correct, it's just you

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I am always going with black cameras ........... but the pearl white LX5 is really chio imho .... i know its cosmetics but that pearl white is really nice on the LX5

ditto with the pearl white GF1 that Xiang just bought and had along yesterday too....
    CHIONESS PERSONIFIED!

Here's something which I found ... in the product catalog (comprehensive manual was not included) which MAY help to explain certain basic functions and scenes/modes.

Look carefully at some of the 'I' or 'Intelligent' features to get a better idea of what they mean as well as other functions. I'm guessing some of us (or rather, 'me') are missing out on some very useful feature sets!

CHEERS!

MOVIE FUNCTIONS and OPTIONAL FUNCTIONS

SCENE MODES are particularly useful, even if you prefer to use 'Manual' everything as some of the algorithms may be altered to optimize the Scene Modes.

I found that for example, in 'Night Portrait' that tweaking the flash exposure was either going to be much more difficult (probably also have to tweak custom WB as well) before achieving what I wanted, which is essentially HIGHER ISO, -EV COMP FLASH, CUSTOM WB (TO SCENE) and a correspondingly appropriate SHUTTER SPEED.

In short, this would be what I have to do to achieve 'Night Portrait':

1) Set ISO.
    2) Set Custom WB.
    3) Test and re-set ISO.
    4) Test and re-set Custom WB.
    5) Flash subject.
    6) Adjust -EV COMP of flash.
    7) Re-test on subject.
    8) Re-adjust and nail down -EV.
    9) Re Check ISO, Custom WB and -EV, then
    10) Take Photo.

or I could simply set 'Night Portrait'.

And here's some of the things you could buy to make your Lumix LX5 experience more complete. It may not be entirely necessary, but some items like an AC adapter for longer periods of videographing may come in very handy.

Here are some 'HAPPY' shots just for 'aloyyolaaloy'!

'HAPPY' Shots

Tempting!!! =) Nice shots, Dream Merchant!

HAPPY!

I feel these shots are a testament to your skill as much as they are to the qualities of the camera.
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Hey Chris

I read in a few other reviews, the feel of the LX5 is a bit "plastickly". What is your observation and experience?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I read in a few other reviews, the feel of the LX5 is a bit "plastickly". What is your observation and experience?
    Actually the opposite, it feels quite "metally"... no "plasticky" feeling whatsoever... it has a nice really solid and sturdy build... and dials are even better than on the LX3. No creaks regarding the build in any way whatsoever.

Can you point out the URLs of these reviews where you read this? It says a lot about the experience of the reviewer in handling compact cameras of different builds.
    Last edited by sircam; 6th September 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Damn good thread

Thank you threadstarter for this

while oly FL36 flashgun (good and cheap alternative to pana's flash) works flawlessly with LX3, I think we had some problem with the LX5, cant remember what was it. DM / Peterpan1975 can u guys recall what was the problem?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thanks for the review DM~!!!

Was contemplating getting one of this or Canon G11
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Those images are really impressive, especially the outdoor daytime shots. Impressive dynamic range.

Hi bro,

Just shoot auto flash with auto iso, not slow synchro. I'd like to know what iso the cam will automatically boost up to and guess its IQ. For casual shooting, its just not practical to set iso.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Can try later at today's outing.

@ glygcs - Also will try. Depends on what ISO one sets. There is 'no' default or at least none that I can see.

On 'AUTO', speeds sometimes gets pushed down a bit during low-light.

'iISO', which I assume is 'intelligent' ISO - speeds go into a slightly more hand-holdable range, which is still (sometimes) pretty slow for this camera! That is, even at lower shutter speeds, can still hold.

more from the 'happy' mode

Thanks for the compliments. To be frank, a lot of them were 'grab shots' and 'snap-shots'.

If you don't know me, I really like taking snap-shots ... a LOT for the fun of it. I get great joy out of photography that way, and the LX5 makes it a breeze.

Truth be told, these past few weeks all I take out is a small tripod and no bag. Just a small little pouch that's only slightly larger in size on my waist-belt. Sometimes, no tripod also. The only reason for a tripod was to shot-to-shot consistency for some tests.

Alas, the LX5 will be gone today, but I managed to squeezed in one last test - the High Speed Sync Test for advanced users.

As you may know, 'Strobing' is quite popular and the LX5 is capable of going up to a 1/4000 sync speed, which makes over-powering the sun a breeze!

The main issue seems to be the trigger(s) which can't keep up.

I am using Skyports which on certain modes, get's me up to about 1/1600 sycn speed.

The breakdown is roughly:

1) Manual - 1/1300 max
    2) Shutter Priority - 1/1600 max
    3) Aperture Priority - 1/1000 max IIRC from previous tests

I am not sure if there is inter-dependency on ISO and syns speeds ala a digital interface, but we roughly tested ISO 80 - 200 today.

Another issue is also the type of receiver. On the Elinchrom Quadra, Shutter Priority, I can get 1/1600, but on a hotshot flash with an Elinchrom Skyport interface, I can only get 1/1300.

This, however, may be due to two factors: Quadra vs Hotshoe flash (digital) or two, the built-in receiver vs the Skyport interface.

I am also not sure IF the SPEED version of the skyports can get me to a higher sync speed, but in any event, I can always go to a lower ISO as a base speed (to 'block' out the sun), and work with apertures.

ALAMAK! No photos ah?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast