Hello Everyone,

Pardon my noob-ness as I just want to share something on the Canon/Sigma 50mm f1.4 saga.

Just went to CP to test both on a 550D with M and Manual AF (Center)

Tested with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 but was disappointed. When I focus and took a shot, the in-focus object appears blur and the side object appears sharp, this also happens when I set to Auto-AF as well. The CP Salesman then took the camera and did a few tweaking, problem still there after he tweaked. I also found that the image was sharper at f2 rather than f1.4 just as what other helpful souls have posted. CP Salesman gave up and passed me another Siggy to test. Same thing....

This appears to be a significant problem with Sigma 50mm f1.4 and definitely need to go for calibration if you decide to buy it off the rack. Serial number of the lens starts with 1145XXXX

Done with Siggy and now i moved on to test the same for Canon 50mm f/1.4, no issues seen except the f1/4 and f2 sharpness. Bokeh looks good and in-focus objects looks sharp. I do not know if its just me or what but i feel that with Canon lens, it was able to give me a very comfortable image feeling which I could not describe and knows its better than the Siggy even though its cheaper.

Both lens have metal-mount and made in Japan. Siggy 2yr + 6 mths months warranty (online) and Cannon 1 yr + 3 mths warranty (online).

Sigma 50mm F1.4 $860 (Cash, Nets, Visa/Master, Instalment)
Canon 50mm F1.4 $590 (Cash, Nets, Visa/Master, Instalment)
Kenko Multi-Coated Pro 1 Filter $37 (Cash, Nets, Visa/Master)

You can view a couple of shots i took at f1.4 ISO 400 using AV