Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to view Raw Format de photo ??

Default Re: How to view Raw Format de photo ??

Just make sure when choosing a hood, it's doesn't obstruct the FOV.

The horizontal FOV is always wider than the vertical FOV due to the sensor length is longer than its width. Hence tulip/petal hood can have the top and bottom shade longer. Tulip hood is mainly for UWA/WA lenses, otherwise the shade will be very short to be effective. Telephoto lenses do not need to be tulip shaped because the shade is already longer enough.

Getting a hood for a zoom lens, it must not block the widest FOV of the lens.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 4th September 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Just make sure when choosing a hood, it's doesn't obstruct the FOV.

The horizontal FOV is always wider than the vertical FOV due to the sensor length is longer than its width. Hence tulip/petal hood can have the top and bottom shade longer. Tulip hood is mainly for UWA/WA lenses, otherwise the shade will be very short to be effective. Telephoto lenses do not need to be tulip shaped because the shade is already longer enough.

Getting a hood for a zoom lens, it must not block the widest FOV of the lens.
    Hmm GRbenji What is a UWA/WA Lenses ?? By the way can your explained the above information in a more simple way cos i really don get what your mean. "FOV" i know is Field of View. Sorry for being so newbie ^^
    [Canon 500D][EF-S 15-85mm][EF 50mm II][430EX II]
    HomePage's[http://cadefox.multiply.com/]

UWA - Ultra Wide Angle
    WA - Wide Angle

Short of drawing diagrams, I really don't know how to make it any simple in words. Sorry.

ok nvm i try to figure it out myself Lol. Btw if the lens is both UW and telephoto, then which type of hood should i get. Like example my 15-85 mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by cadefox View Post
    ok nvm i try to figure it out myself Lol. Btw if the lens is both UW and telephoto, then which type of hood should i get. Like example my 15-85 mm lens
    http://www.***********.com.sg/ecomme...s.php?catid=14
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

you mean for Tulip-shaped hood if mounted onto my 15-85mm lens, it cannot be zoom in to the 85mm range izzit ?? it is fit to 15mm range only. And the above picture posted in #13 is a tulip-shaped lens hoods rite ??
    What sense would it make for Canon to offer such a hood that is only usable for the wide angle part and for anything longer the manual has "please remove the hood'? Exactly
    That's the reason why those hoods come tulip-shaped: to fit the wide angle end. For telephoto the hood could actually be much longer and also circular.
    Last edited by Octarine; 5th September 2010 at 12:50 AM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What sense would it make for Canon to offer such a hood that is only usable for the wide angle part and for anything longer the manual has "please remove the hood'? Exactly
    That's the reason why those hoods come tulip-shaped: to fit the wide angle end. For telephoto the hood could actually be much longer and also circular.
    so you mean that even with the Tulip shape lens hood still attach on to my 15-85mm lens, i still able to zoom in and out rite ?? without dismantling it. Hmm very sorry that my expressing and understanding of English language is not that good Lol =)
    Last edited by cadefox; 5th September 2010 at 01:00 AM.

it means:
    becos the sensor is in the shape of a rectangle, the horizontal side will be having a wider field of view... thus the hood cannot block too much on the horizontal side..

oh n i noticed in ur signature... u have a EF-S 50mm 1.8... i think you mean EF ba..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    it means:
    becos the sensor is in the shape of a rectangle, the horizontal side will be having a wider field of view... thus the hood cannot block too much on the horizontal side..

oh n i noticed in ur signature... u have a EF-S 50mm 1.8... i think you mean EF ba..
    thank for the reminded

so you mean that even with the Tulip shape lens hood still attach on to my 15-85mm lens, i still able to zoom in and out rite ?? without dismantling it. Hmm very sorry that my expressing and understanding of English language is not that good Lol =)
    Of course you can still zoom on your lens, a lens hood does not affect the zooming of a lens in anyway, its just an extension at the front end of the lens.

OoOo okok evey clear lol cos i tot only the screw type lens hood is capable of zooming in and zooming out then for those normal lens hood (not screw type) is fit de. Once mounted cannot zoom already lol

OoOo okok evey clear lol cos i tot only the screw type lens hood is capable of zooming in and zooming out then for those normal lens hood (not screw type) is fit de. Once mounted cannot zoom already lol
    no problem~! but unless you really need it, i usually don't bring a lens hood out..

travel light and compact.. need to shield the sun then use whatever you have with you...
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    no problem~! but unless you really need it, i usually don't bring a lens hood out..
    Most hoods can be reverse mounted on the lens, doesn't take any additional space.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Most hoods can be reverse mounted on the lens, doesn't take any additional space.

ya i know, like when i'm shooting with 24-105 i will bring it.. but
    storing in a small bag to carry ard it does pose as a problem...

unless i'm gg out like for a full shoot and will be taking full gear, i don't bring it..
    mylightedreams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12