Thread: Info on 50mm lens?

Default Info on 50mm lens?

Anyone used the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D lens before? Is this lens compatible with the D70? Why would I need this lens if I have the kit lens for the D70 already (18-70mm f/4.5)?

List price says S$205, how much are shops like AP and CP selling it for? Thanks

GYR

i used it on f100 b4. its fast, light, sharp..all the good things. 180 bucks for brand new is ok price

on d70 then u get a *75mm* speed @1.8, dof @ 1 stop's worth more (more as in less background blur).

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    i used it on f100 b4. its fast, light, sharp..all the good things. 180 bucks for brand new is ok price

on d70 then u get a *75mm* speed @1.8, dof @ 1 stop's worth more (more as in less background blur).
    By "sharp" you mean that its considerably sharper than the D70 kit lens?

So this would be a very good lens to have on the D70? Mostly for landscape or portrait shots?

Is the 50mm F1.4 one ($500+) worth the extra price?

@ 50mm @ f1.4, DOF is very shallow. things like if u shoot a portrait, eyes r in focus and ears are out of focus that kind of effect.

so if u want
    -that kind of DOF effect @ f1.4
    -the extra speed (ability to shot f1.4, 1/30, iso 800 or 1600 at 8pm at night on the streets)
    -the bit of extra build quality (metal lens mount vs plastic mount of the f1.8, usm vs no-usm of the f1.8 => for canon)

then the xtra bucks is generally taken as a wee bit much more to pay for ;-) some will say its worth it. u got to be the judge.

sharper than the kit lens? i dunno...but on its own, the 50mm is sharp

I've not tried the 18-70 before but have the 50/1.8. The 50/1.8 is so sharp that Nikon recommends reversing it and using it as a macro lens. The fact is that the 50/1.8 have been around for so long that there isn't much improvement that can be made to a superb optic. It was a popular lens because of the focal length, it's a so called 'normal' lens which approximates what our eyes see as opposed to telephotos or wideangles.

The Nikon 50/1.8 is sharper than the Nikon 50/1.4 at some apertures. You only get the 50/1.4 if you need the faster aperture and better built, not because its sharper. (Nikon didn't recommend reversing the 50/1.4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    By "sharp" you mean that its considerably sharper than the D70 kit lens?

So this would be a very good lens to have on the D70? Mostly for landscape or portrait shots?

Is the 50mm F1.4 one ($500+) worth the extra price?
    Used the f1.8 on D70, worked fine. The value of this lens over the kit lens is it is faster, lighter. Good for walk around and under low light condition. And more discreet if you do street alot.

About "considerably sharper than the D70 kit lens"... This is the funny part, I did tested this on a tripod with the kit lens(set to 50mm) some time back, the image in terms of sharpness is pretty close(was expecting the 50mm to be much sharper). So I suspected back focus problem, and even though I tested there's no back focus, i bring the d70, kit lens and the 18mm to Nikon SG (just for the peace of mind and also get them to clean my equipment lah) Their focus calibration test shown everything is fine.

To my doubt, the technician said that 1) the D70 is calibrated more for the kit lens, as it is deemed the kit lens will be used more often than the 50mm, but note that it's only very slightly off on the 50mm, and VERY MUCH within industrial torelant level. 2) the Kit Lens is indeed a sharp lens.

Here are same samples, both images are no PS'ed, just re-sized(still quite large for CS standard, my mistake then. )
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=72408

And pBase you can filter by lens to see pic samples.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    The 50/1.8 is so sharp that Nikon recommends reversing it and using it as a macro lens.
    I found this interesting, how much is a reversing ring btw? I might want to try this sometimes.

Hey guys, newbie here however I am using both the kit lense and the 50mm f1.8.

I find that even though the kit lense covers the 50mm range I still take out the f1.8 alot.

It's lighter, Faster, much faster and has much better control of depth of field, I find that at f3.5 the kit lense can't selectively focus verywell. the f1.4 is nice and fast but it's supposedly not as sharp as the 1.8 but I seriously doubt there wiould be any difference in sharpness on the d70 ( which is kinda soft inhereantly)

The portraits on this page were shot using the 50mm
    http://pachome2.pacific.net.sg/galle...ropyone&page=5

Excellent.. Thanks guys

Maybe I will go and try out this lens.. what's the best price I can get for this lens? $180? (only looking for new, since the price diff isn't that great btw new and used)

Anyone know if CP or AP has stock for this lens?

Cheers
    Last edited by Gymrat76; 21st May 2004 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bLight
    I found this interesting, how much is a reversing ring btw? I might want to try this sometimes.
    don't know how much it costs in singapore, but you can ask around. the model you want is a Nikon BR-2A.

maybe u wanna get a second hand one....but of all my lenses....i tink the 50 1.8 is the best thus far...fast and effective....

At such a low price and small weight and size, packing a 50mm f/1.8 lens everytime you go out is not that much of a hassle. It's extremely useful for low-light handheld situations and doing portraits.

It has been a standard lens for almost all SLRs way back even before I was born, before zooms became afforable and popular.

Besides, being a prime, it will force you to look at your composition more carefully. Can't depend on having a zoom to "save" your picture.