Thread: Need advices on which compact camera to get (mainly for snapshots and concerts)?

Default Need advices on which compact camera to get (mainly for snapshots and concerts)?

Hey guys, I want to get a new compact camera to replace my Panasonic LZ10. Budget is less than $600.

This camera will be used mainly for taking indoor snapshots and also for taking pics and videos when I go concerts. My main criterias are that it must be good in low-light and also must be able to take HD videos. I not very familiar with the current crop of compact cameras and can only come out with 2 cameras which I think might be suitable for my needs. Hope you guys can give me your advices on what camera will be best suited for my needs and also give me recommendations of any other suitable cameras.

And pls dun recommend me LX5 because I dun like the lens-cap, I used LX3 before and find having the lens-cap very troublesome. Thanks!

Considering
    1) Canon S95
    2) Sony HX5V
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Default Re: Need advices on which compact camera to get (mainly for snapshots and concerts)?

Now got COMEX,

do some research and go there and try the cameras which you are looking at...

don't buy from them oso can... just look can le...

just nice the s95 fits in ur budget.. so why not... its the latest addition...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Default Re: Need advices on which compact camera to get (mainly for snapshots and concerts)?

How about canon 300HS ?
    Canon User

Why don't you go and compare them in the reviews? The HX5V has gotten great reviews for low light photography, but the Canon has a much lower pixel density which *should* be better. Go and try lah.
    Alpha

I have tried my friend's HX5V before and quite like it. I think it should be not bad for low light photography and 1 good thing is it has 10x zoom but I don't know if S95 will be better in low-light coz none of my friends have it.

But S95 has a bigger sensor and a f2.0 lens which I supposed will contribute to it's low-light capabilities? And how about the Sony W5?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Why don't you go and compare them in the reviews? The HX5V has gotten great reviews for low light photography, but the Canon has a much lower pixel density which *should* be better. Go and try lah.

If dun have S95, I will consider it. They are about the same but heard S95 is better in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    How about canon 300HS ?

what about the legendary lumix LX3? its a nice P&S going for around $500 in the B&S market...
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

Sorry bro, not interested in the LX3. I had that before and I hated the lens-cap. Very troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by newghost View Post
    what about the legendary lumix LX3? its a nice P&S going for around $500 in the B&S market...

fujifilm finepix 200 exr - highly recommended... i bought mine a year or so ago for less than $500 with typical goodies thrown in (2 8-gb sd cards, super-cheap tripod, camera case, 3rd party extra battery and screen protector)

i think this is an excellent pns.. i shoot a lot with it in manual mode and generally quite happy with its results...

Thanks bro, I heard the F200EXR is not bad but I want something with HD video recording..

Quote Originally Posted by hitendra View Post
    fujifilm finepix 200 exr - highly recommended... i bought mine a year or so ago for less than $500 with typical goodies thrown in (2 8-gb sd cards, super-cheap tripod, camera case, 3rd party extra battery and screen protector)

i think this is an excellent pns.. i shoot a lot with it in manual mode and generally quite happy with its results...

aaah...ok... if you want hd recording too, then maybe something else...

Just my 2 cents. If u want a compact that is good for low-light, suitable for indoor snapshots and supports HD videos for concerts, there isnt one. Unless u are seated in the front rows, u'll need a compact with a certain zoom range. In order to accommodate the long focal lengths, the camera must have a tiny ccd/cmos sensor inorder to keep the camera compact. With a small sensor and relatively slow lens in a long zoom, your low-light requirement cannot be achieved. Right now, u can either choose to go with a camera such as the Sony HX5V, Panasonic TZ10/TZ7, etc. for the long zoom and HD video but compromise on low light capability or go with the Canon S95 for better quality pics (& low light) since it has a bigger ccd but u'll be limited by the max 105mm focal length. If u intend to take still shots of a concert, even the S95 may not satisfy your requirement since its unlikely that u'll be able to take advantage of the fast lens using a slow shutter. Your only option is to shoot with a higher ISO and shutter speed. If u do find a compact that satisfies all your requirements, please let me know. I'm also looking for such a camera.
    Last edited by sys12345; 8th September 2010 at 10:10 PM.