Thread: looking for a new digital camera

Default looking for a new digital camera

Hi, I'm new to digital camera and would like to buy one soon for my holiday trip. Looking for 3.2 megapixel, pocket sized, compact camera with a reasonably good video clip function. Budget $600-650. Should be user friendly for 1st timer like me.

I've narrowed down to the following choices :

1. Nikon Coolpix 3700
    2. Panasonic DMC-FX1
    3. Panasonic DMC-LC50
    4. Sony DSC-P8
    5. Sony DSC-P72
    6. Canon IXUS i
    7. Canon IXUS IIs

Any recommendations?
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    Cetaphil

what about the canon A80?? its not exactly pocket size... but you might want to consider it as its good enough for most situations IMO...

Blog Entries

yup, either the A80 or A75 would be good and fits ur budget too. a slightly cheaper, but no less feature pack would be the Canon A70. just recommended a fren of mine to get this for his alaskan holiday in jun. right now, he and his wife are happily snapping away to get used to the camera.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by cetaphil
    Hi, I'm new to digital camera and would like to buy one soon for my holiday trip. Looking for 3.2 megapixel, pocket sized, compact camera with a reasonably good video clip function. Budget $600-650. Should be user friendly for 1st timer like me.

I've narrowed down to the following choices :

1. Nikon Coolpix 3700
    2. Panasonic DMC-FX1
    3. Panasonic DMC-LC50
    4. Sony DSC-P8
    5. Sony DSC-P72
    6. Canon IXUS i
    7. Canon IXUS IIs

Any recommendations?
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    Cetaphil

IXUSi!!! d coolest cam i ever had...4mp for only ard $580++ w' a 32mb SD card...price had dropped.. so small n compact dat u can fit in anywhere... although ALOT of ppl may darn at its 5.7 digital zoom only(no optical) bt so far all my shots usin the full zoom had came out nice n sharp..

ofcos we r not talkin about sizes beyond 8R cos dat u will need at least a 6mp camera oredi..n if u r using WinXP, u wont need to install the driver at all, juz plug in n download..video recording at 320*240...

controls r user-friendly enough 4 anyone to get used to..manual control of exposure compensation..wht balance..flash output are possible too..

hope dis will provide some help in ur choices...

Personally, i'd go for the Ixus v2, and Sony P8..

I used my friend's P8 before, quite fun and easy to use.. It didn't take me too long to learn the camera.. Though you must note that it's almost a very auto camera.. Well, it's good if you want a no frills camera.. The thing i love about this camera is the finishing Also, the camera is rather fast, operation wise.. Video recording only limited by the size of your memory.. Would have been my cam if it had manual controls

I used my friend's V2 before also.. This is seriously a no frills camera. Super slim, feels solid too! And hey, it's hell as classy same thing here, NO manual controls at all.. Video recording limited to about 3 minutes.. Color rendition quite ok.. This camera is good because it's slim, and no frills.. very easy to use.. and did i say stylish?

Dang, i wished some of my friends own nikon digital cameras

Quote Originally Posted by OzOn3
    Dang, i wished some of my friends own nikon digital cameras
    Speaking from personal experience with Nikon and Fuji P&S digicam

Their AF are slow and the control sucks, I am using CP4500 to take astro photo, always got a hard time to look for the correct buttons in the dark, the AF is slow and noisy too. I have tried a few fuji cam like S602, F601, S5000/7000, the AF cannot make it, always hunt (in day time!)

I will prefer Canon, Sony or Casio in terms of speed and control. The only thing i dun like abt Sony is the colour and expensive memory stick.

That's why in the end i got an A80 - affordable price for a 4MP cam, swivel LCD, long battery life and using cheap CF media