Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dark corners around picture

  1. #1

    Default Dark corners around picture

    Hi there!
    I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X. And sometimes when i take pictures, the corners are black. Anyone have any idea what this is called and what are the conditions required to replicate this effect?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    Vignetting. Do a search and you will understand.

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    There are several types of vignetting as well.
    Are you shooting at a wide open aperture? is there an additional filter fixed onto the lens ?

    ryan

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    EOS

  5. #5
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    sometimes its the filter you use...
    but many lens have vig too... just depends whether is alot or little..

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...era-lenses.htm

    if its really bothering you, then just crop in com..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lakeside
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    Tokina 11-16 vignetting ( dark area at corners ) is quitely well controlled for such a ultrawide angle http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/37..._canon?start=1 But if you use thick filter ( particularly polarizer ) it could persist even after u stop down to small aperture.
    Good news is you can easily fix it in post-processing if it is not too severe.
    I will start taking pictures from now on :-)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Joelhlaing View Post
    Tokina 11-16 vignetting ( dark area at corners ) is quitely well controlled for such a ultrawide angle http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/37..._canon?start=1 But if you use thick filter ( particularly polarizer ) it could persist even after u stop down to small aperture.
    Good news is you can easily fix it in post-processing if it is not too severe.
    Polarizer are not suitable for ultrawide angle lens; you'll get uneven polarization.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lakeside
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Polarizer are not suitable for ultrawide angle lens; you'll get uneven polarization.
    Yeah.. there is a huge debate on the web about usefulness of polarizer on UWA lenses.. My impression is "NO" for sky color saturation, at least for the widest end, but to reduce reflection n see through water or glass, "YES"
    I will start taking pictures from now on :-)

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dark corners around picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Joelhlaing View Post
    Yeah.. there is a huge debate on the web about usefulness of polarizer on UWA lenses.. My impression is "NO" for sky color saturation, at least for the widest end, but to reduce reflection n see through water or glass, "YES"
    Uneven polarization will also happen in the water... if there is a huge body of water, some parts of the water will be less reflective than others.

    So I will say NO to cutting reflections also.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •