Thread: 3rd party lens problems

Default 3rd party lens problems

my friend told me 3rd party lens are more prone to problems? is that really so? can everyone please advise?

Default Re: 3rd party lens problems

Hmm specifically, what kind of "problems" are you talking about?

in general, anyone encounter any problems such as back focus, lens spoil etc etc

Well so far I've been using my Tamron 18-270 very regularly for close to a year, no problems whatsoever, build is solid too.

Certain lens are more prone to damage than others. It may be lower build quality, or may be an inherent design issue.

I have used several 3rd party lenses and do not necessarily find them inferior. I'm afraid it is a mistake to generalize.

Even oem lens can breakdown. Good eg is the canon 18-55mm and 50mm f1.4 which is common to see the autofocus fail after sometime.

Some third party lens performance are better than the oem's of similar specs. Eg canon 75-300mm vs sigma 70-300mm.

Be it buying brand new or preowned, its wise to check the lens for fungus, focusing issues etc.
    Last edited by chocnoodles; 2nd September 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Hard to generalise on this point like what Blur Shadow mentioned. My 3rd party ones still working well

ryan

A lot of ppl a using 3rd party lens.

Problem? maybe a bad copy.

Even original also have problem.

Carl zeiss considered 3rd party too right?

My cz24-70 is very very sharp, fast and accurate focusing.

don't be worried from what you hear...

in fact, if it is not a fear factor for so many people it shouldn't worry you getting third-party lens...

in fact some have proven their mettle over the years...

trusted and handy lens~!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

those legacy lenses also 3rd party lens right? I've shot with a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar on my 5DMkII earlier and this lens is probably 30 odd years old!!! talk about reliability!
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    my friend told me 3rd party lens are more prone to problems? is that really so? can everyone please advise?
    Nope...

can't generalise like this, but sometimes, you'd find that the OEM lenses prove to be better in terms of image quality and built.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    Even oem lens can breakdown. Good eg is the canon 18-55mm and 50mm f1.4 which is common to see the autofocus fail after sometime.

Some third party lens performance are better than the oem's of similar specs. Eg canon 75-300mm vs sigma 70-300mm.

Be it buying brand new or preowned, its wise to check the lens for fungus, focusing issues etc.
    Add to the original breakdown list: Nikon 18-200VR

Add to better than original 3rd party list: Sigma 50/1.4mm, Sigma 30/1.4, Tokina 11-16/2.8. All Carl Zeiss lenses. Viogtlander Nokton 58/1.4, Ultron 40/2 and Lanthar lenses.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 5th September 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Add to the original breakdown list: Nikon 18-200VR

Add to better than original 3rd party list: Sigma 50/1.4mm, Sigma 30/1.4, Tokina 11-16/2.8. All Carl Zeiss lenses. Viogtlander Nokton 58/1.4, Ultron 40/2 and Lanthar lenses.
    The new carl zeiss & CV lenses are simply wonderful... sometimes the images are so 3D it amazes me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    I'm using a Tamron lens that I was told is about 30 years old.

It's better to judge by the lens model, rather than the manufacturers, because all manufacturers, whether oem or 3rd party, have good and bad lenses
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

I have been using 3rd party lenses since I started shooting...couldn't afford original then. Still having them, Tokina, Sigma and Tamron. Even still have 2 Tokina that I bought 12 years ago...still working strong No problem with any of my 3rd party lenses so far

now, there's 3rd party manual lenses and 3rd party AF lenses... of course when you replace manual focusing with a motor element for fast AF, then of course general opinion is that there's a higher chance of this giving you problems later down the road!