Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which camera better for sports photography? (300D and D70)

looks like its turning out into another brand debate..

Deregistered

it wasn't ever a brand war. just misguided thoughts on the aspects of some photographers who assumed higher fps == better camera. not necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    it wasn't ever a brand war. just misguided thoughts on the aspects of some photographers who assumed higher fps == better camera. not necessarily true.
    I think i prefer those "one shot one kill" type of shots, dun think i need the continuous shots.
    So is 300D sufficient for this?

Deregistered

yes, it will suffice. but if you use either aperture /or shutter priority, it seems that metering will be partail metering for that... so if you don't mind, it'll be perfectly ok

yes, it will suffice. but if you use either aperture /or shutter priority, it seems that metering will be partail metering for that... so if you don't mind, it'll be perfectly ok
    Nope, not partial metering. It will still use (35-zone) evaluative metering in Aperture priority (Av) or Shutter priority (Tv) mode. It will only switch to Centre-weighted metering in Manual mode.

Neither 10D or 300D has spot metering (dunno about D70), but the evaluative metering is sufficient is most situation. Partial metering in 300D can be activated with a simple press of the "*" button in P, Av, Tv and M modes.

Deregistered

oops!

oops!

Haha...wat can I expect from a person using 10D exclusively?
    Joking, joking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Neither 10D or 300D has spot metering (dunno about D70), .....
    The D70 has spot metering...

I say again, and this is not a brand issue. Purely between the 300D and the D70, yes the 300D will do, but the D70 will do significantly better. This has nothing to do with brand, 40000 fps, or whatever. And I of anyone should know something about this.

I read the specs of both cameras in dpreview and notice that 300D has some forced servo autofocus thingy (?? what is this suppose to mean? ) , while the D70 has continous autofocus. Is this a big disadvantage in 300D in sports photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I say again, and this is not a brand issue. Purely between the 300D and the D70, yes the 300D will do, but the D70 will do significantly better. This has nothing to do with brand, 40000 fps, or whatever. And I of anyone should know something about this.
    Which areas will the D70 do significantly better?

Jed is the expert in this field.

I owned a 300D. With good lenses, both focus fast enough for the general users (not for the pros though). Between the two cameras, D70 will do better for sports photography with the faster frame rate and the continuous shooting capability (using a fast CF card) in addition to the flexibility to change to continous focus mode. The fast wake up time helps too.
    Last edited by mpenza; 22nd May 2004 at 10:32 AM.

Deregistered

D70 has discrete AF-S (Single), AF-M (Manual) and AF-C (Continuous) focus modes, the 300D only has One Shot, and AI Focus (which is actually One Shot that changes into AI Servo when the focal plane changes). AI Focus, may take some time to react to kick into the AI Servo mode, which is de facto for shooting sports.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12