Thread: Mounting screw from monopod come off together with ball head???

Default Mounting screw from monopod come off together with ball head???

Hi all,

Just like to check with you regarding the above phenomenon.

Just met a seller not long ago to look at his monopod and found that the mounting screw of the monopod actually come off together with the ballhead. It can be screwed tight but just need a twist of moderate force and a turn or two and the ballhead will come off with the mounting screw still attached to it. Is there something wrong? I rejected the seller because of this.

Came back to look at my Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and see that the mounting screw is set inside the mount and solid like hell. Anyone have the same experience before?

FFA
    Nikon & Leica

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mounting screw from monopod come off together with ball head???

Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    Hi all,

Just met a seller not long ago to look at his monopod and found that the mounting screw of the monopod actually come off together with the ballhead. It can be screwed tight but just need a twist of moderate force and a turn or two and the ballhead will come off with the mounting screw still attached to it. Is there something wrong? I rejected the seller because of this.

Came back to look at my Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and see that the mounting screw is set inside the mount and solid like hell. Anyone have the same experience before?

FFA
    The tripod screw is usually a 2 head one that can reverse screw into the mounting plate. From your description, it seems the screw thread on the mounting plate is worn down. You should not buy that monopod. You did good.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The tripod screw is usually a 2 head one that can reverse screw into the mounting plate. From your description, it seems the screw thread on the mounting plate is worn down. You should not buy that monopod. You did good.
    i agree with you here...

GOOD~!

a classic case of checking ur goods before splurging the cash~!!

for you FFA~!!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Hi all,

FFA
    Mounting screw is tighten to the tripod leg (will not come out unless broken).

Ballhead of any brand will not have any screw fasten to it. If that is one meaning a screw from a tripod broke and struck in there.

Seller may be ignorance or ....

Hey there,

Thanks for all your replies!

Good thing I never buy though it is honestly very light (carbon fiber) and comes with a free Manfrotto ball head. Good thing I checked thoroughly man! Else $100+ down the drain. That guy still got the cheek to tell me it's normal. Just need to use spanner to tighten the nut. But then the nut is below, put into the tripod head how to tighten? Invisible spanner ah? So silly...

Thanks again all! Meeting someone to buy a new Manfrotto monopod instead.

FFA
    Nikon & Leica

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Mounting screw is tighten to the tripod leg (will not come out unless broken).

Ballhead of any brand will not have any screw fasten to it. If that is one meaning a screw from a tripod broke and struck in there.

Seller may be ignorance or ....
    You are wrong here. Most tripods nowadays come with a removable screw, with different screw thread diameter (1/4" and 3/8") on each end to be compatible with the 2 standards of ballheads out there. You can remove the screw, turn it around and screw it back down again to use the other side.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd September 2010 at 03:46 PM.

You are wrong here. Most tripods nowadays come with a removable screw, with different screw thread diameter (1/4" and 3/8") on each end to be compatible with the 2 standards of ballheads out there. You can remove the screw, turn it around and screw it back down again to use the other side.
    I still behind the new 'technology'...
    http://photogearfinder.com/Tripod-So...o-P200960.aspx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    I still behind the new 'technology'...
    http://photogearfinder.com/Tripod-So...o-P200960.aspx
    well, different brands approach the problem differently. And since TS never mention the brand of the monopod, we can only make some assumptions.

well, different brands approach the problem differently. And since TS never mention the brand of the monopod, we can only make some assumptions.
    Hi all,

It's a Velbon Geo N64 Carbon Fibre Monopod. I emailed the distributor in Singapore and they informed that the screw should not drop off at all. Wonder what that guy did to make it drop off. Selling an obviously faulty item... Tsk tsk...

FFA
    Nikon & Leica

Blog Entries

Hi all,

It's a Velbon Geo N64 Carbon Fibre Monopod. I emailed the distributor in Singapore and they informed that the screw should not drop off at all. Wonder what that guy did to make it drop off. Selling an obviously faulty item... Tsk tsk...

FFA
    Well, good thing you dodged a bullet. Just move on and look for another one in BnS. Should be quite a number available. Quite a number were selling their manfrotto monopods a couple of weeks back. It came with a purchase with purchase promotion with Nikon cameras during the Great Singapore Sale.