Thread: Noob questions on reflectors, help pls.. :)

Default Noob questions on reflectors, help pls.. :)

Hi all clubsnap members,

i'm currently thinking of buying a 5 in 1 reflector, but is having trouble deciding on which size to buy. I have search and read up some old posts, that mentioned the 80cm and 110cm reflectors to be good for head and shoulder shots, but not for full body shots, but besides that i hope to know more from you fellow clubsnap member, who has been using the 80cm and 110cm reflectors, some more stuff about the reflectors. Hope you all will excuse me if you all find my questions to be silly. Thanks.

1) Are they good for half body shots as well?
    2) What are their size when collapse for the 80cm and 110cm?
    3) Will they get torn easily?
    4) I have notice from the pictures that i have seen online, that the surface of the reflectors
    has crumpled lines, will that affect the quality of the light being reflected off it?
    5) Does all reflector has this small piece of fabric thats sticks out from the side of the
    reflector?
    6) Does brand matters when getting a reflector?

Default Re: Noob questions on reflectors, help pls.. :)

See my reply in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Binzento View Post

1) Are they good for half body shots as well? It does work, but a rectangle reflector will work better
    2) What are their size when collapse for the 80cm and 110cm? I do not have one now, so cant give u the measurements
    3) Will they get torn easily? Nope, but do use with care
    4) I have notice from the pictures that i have seen online, that the surface of the reflectors
    has crumpled lines, will that affect the quality of the light being reflected off it? It should not affect
    5) Does all reflector has this small piece of fabric thats sticks out from the side of the
    reflector? yes, it's for you to hold/attach to your bag when you keep the reflector in the carrying case
    6) Does brand matters when getting a reflector?I've yet to use the branded ones, but the generic ones are working fine for me

Blog Entries

Answers in blue

1) Are they good for half body shots as well?
    Really depends on what you are trying to fill. If you are just trying to fill in the shadows on the face and shoulders, it will work well. A lot actually depends on how you pose your model.

I have 80cm 5-in-1 and it collapses to ring of 12cm diameter. I also have a rectuangular 160cm 3-in-1 and that collapses to a circular ring of 22cm diameter. Sorry I don't have a 110cm one, since I don't find the 110cm useful, you only need either a 80cm or 110cm since both are not big enough for full body.

3) Will they get torn easily?
    No. But if you use a knife or sharp object you can tear it. It is cloth after all. For me, I don't care. I just use. If it tears usually it is still usable, I will just use it until it tears so bad that it is no longer usable. Then i will throw it and buy another one.

has crumpled lines, will that affect the quality of the light being reflected off it?
    Will not affect. If really affect, move the reflector a bit and it is gone. But never seen it affect a shot.

reflector?
    Not sure. Never notice such things. Got or not, don't matter to me. As long as the reflector gets the job done.

6) Does brand matters when getting a reflector?
    No. You can even use a big piece of polyfoam as reflector. Most studios will use polyfoam. Just that outdoors, a big piece of foam is not very transportable.

I think you are overthinking things. Reflector is nothing but a silver or white surface to bounce light from. Anything that is white or silver will work well. Polyfoam, cardboard, whiteboard, plywood painted white. Usually, in studios, they will either paint one side black (or stick it with black paper), so they can use it to cut light also. Double purpose. It is not rocket science. Don't overthink it. There is no glamor in reflectors. Only reason we buy the foldable ones are so that when we go offsite, it is easy to transport.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd September 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    See my reply in red.
    Tks wdEvA for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Answers in blue

I have 80cm 5-in-1 and it collapses to ring of 12cm diameter. I also have a rectuangular 160cm 3-in-1 and that collapses to a circular ring of 22cm diameter. Sorry I don't have a 110cm one, since I don't find the 110cm useful, you only need either a 80cm or 110cm since both are not big enough for full body.

I think you are overthinking things. Reflector is nothing but a silver or white surface to bounce light from. Anything that is white or silver will work well. Polyfoam, cardboard, whiteboard, plywood painted white. Usually, in studios, they will either paint one side black (or stick it with black paper), so they can use it to cut light also. Double purpose. It is not rocket science. Don't overthink it. There is no glamor in reflectors. Only reason we buy the foldable ones are so that when we go offsite, it is easy to transport.[/COLOR]
    Hi DD123 , think i will get a 80cm one then, btw can you tell me why you don't find 110cm useful? Is it because its too big?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Binzento View Post
    Hi DD123 , think i will get a 80cm one then, btw can you tell me why you don't find 110cm useful? Is it because its too big?
    This is because I already have the 160cm x 100cm reflector. Which will cover full body. A 80cm one will be sufficient to light up face and lower chin. 110 is therefore not useful since I have both the 160cm one and 80cm one.