Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: best way to achieve macro

  1. #1

    Default best way to achieve macro

    hi, i have decided to either get nikon 6T, or do macro coupling for macro work.

    camera ---> nikon 6T dual element ---> Tele Converter

    camera ---> macro coupling.
    just wondering, 50mm and 180mm lets say, is 180mm giving more distance to work?

    also just wondering which gives better magnification, yet useable distance about 30CM min and MUST AF.(things like 3cm is unacceptable of coz). just for info sake, my camera is always at 380mm for macros.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normanlai
    hi, i have decided to either get nikon 6T, or do macro coupling for macro work.

    camera ---> nikon 6T dual element ---> Tele Converter

    camera ---> macro coupling.
    just wondering, 50mm and 180mm lets say, is 180mm giving more distance to work?

    also just wondering which gives better magnification, yet useable distance about 30CM min and MUST AF.(things like 3cm is unacceptable of coz). just for info sake, my camera is always at 380mm for macros.

    thanks
    Ermm.. macro coupling means using a slr lens in reverse ? If it is.. I don't think you can focus very far like 30cm away.. (correct me if i am wrong)... and also you going to reverse a 180mm lens ? a 50mm will cost $150 but a 180mm will cost you > $1k...
    Last edited by majere2sg; 19th May 2004 at 10:44 PM.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    Ermm.. macro coupling means using a slr lens in reverse ? If it is.. I don't think you can focus very far like 30cm away.. (correct me if i am wrong)... and also you going to reverse a 180mm lens ? a 50mm will cost $150 but a 180mm will cost you > $1k...
    i see. yes, wad u thought is wad i meant.

    if i can't get a proper distance, then probably get the 6t.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    erm what sort of system are you using? digicam or SLR?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    erm what sort of system are you using? digicam or SLR?

    prosumer. sorry always forget to mention

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    erm, i strongly don't recommend you reverse the 180mm. After looking at my own and trying it reverse, I see that the image is NOT round, and any picture i take with this setup will also include a substantial amount of the lens interior. Reversing a 50mm is a better option. Working distance at rough estimate is less than 10cm. I've never heard of anybody with a prosumer digicam trying to reverse a 50mm before and preserving af but I guess you can try.

    I would strongly recommend you go the diopter route instead.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    erm, i strongly don't recommend you reverse the 180mm. After looking at my own and trying it reverse, I see that the image is NOT round, and any picture i take with this setup will also include a substantial amount of the lens interior. Reversing a 50mm is a better option. Working distance at rough estimate is less than 10cm. I've never heard of anybody with a prosumer digicam trying to reverse a 50mm before and preserving af but I guess you can try.

    I would strongly recommend you go the diopter route instead.

    hmm, thanks. i'm posting to buy the nikon 6T and Tcon 17. appreciate it if u know of anyone and direct em to my post.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...419#post662419

  8. #8

    Default

    Macro lens (actually, any lens) plus a 2 dollar magnifying glass....viola!

  9. #9

    Default

    My advice for you is

    camera ---> nikon 6T dual element or 250D will do a very good job. You will get good quality with about 1:1 magnification with a focusing distance of 20-30cm. I do not recommend you to use a tele converter as it will degrade the image quality.

    To use a reversed lens, the wider angle lens will give bigger magnification
    e.g. a reversed 35mm lens will give bigger magnification than a reversed 50mm
    and big aperture (fast lens) will prevent vignetting. However I do not recommend you to use reversed lens on a digital camera due to shallow DOF even at f8.

    To take macro shots using a closeup/macro lens (6T or 500D), it does not matter you use AF or MF. Eventually you will need to move or position your camera setup to focus the object (about 20-30cm). Having better (> 1:1) magnification does not mean you can produce good macro shots as you may only get soft quality shots. This is due to the limitation of prosumer digial camera (shallow DOF). So far a good macro setup is to use a dedicate macro lens ( SLR ) and able to achieve good DOF. See below for sample.

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/97782

    Someone took the dragonfly eye shot with a EF 65mm macro.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  10. #10

    Default

    i get the idea.

    just to ask, is there something that attach to my camera which function like a MACRO add on lens? there's tele conversion, so i thought y not have Macro too? perhaps tats better instead of diopter/reversing.

    thanks

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normanlai
    i get the idea.

    just to ask, is there something that attach to my camera which function like a MACRO add on lens? there's tele conversion, so i thought y not have Macro too? perhaps tats better instead of diopter/reversing.

    thanks
    A diopter is a macro add on lens (sort of). I doubt you'll get better quality add-on lens or whatever which can significantly beat the diopters already mentioned here in quality, but anyway, such macro add on lens do exist for digicams.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •