Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Tell the Difference Between a Legit Photographer and a GWC (Guy With a Camera)

Default Re: How to Tell the Difference Between a Legit Photographer and a GWC (Guy With a Cam

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't find any urge to shoot a girl who means nothing to me.
    But it seems that you have a strong urge to shoot cats which probably means "nothing" to you? Unless all the cats you shot are your pets?

or is a cat lover more noble than a xmm lover?

Different pple have different preferences, or stuff that they are passionate with.

Some pple, like me, likes to shoot beautiful subjects, like flowers, clouds, rainbow, artifacts, jewelery, fireworks etc.. including models. Maybe the last entry would classify me as a GWC too.

They may mean "nothing" to me.. or they could all mean something to me, in the sense that there are creations of mother nature or man-made masterpiece work of art/engineering.

Some pple, likes to shoot cats. Some pple likes to shoot dogs.

Some pple, likes to shoot pple. Young girls, young lady, old woman, old man etc..

If photographers are considered to be.. "perverted?" just bcoz they shoot models.. what makes a person who shoots cats?

but, if you're specifically referring to pple who shoot sleazy stuff and those trying to take liberties.. then those are different creatures which could be more of a moral issue.. then, my comments would be irreverent..

I'm comparing photographer who shoot model and photographers who shoot other subjects like cats. Not photographers who ask model to strip and make physical contact. Those, are of a different category.. and those.. are generally not acceptable in the community.

Default Re: How to Tell the Difference Between a Legit Photographer and a GWC (Guy With a Cam

a gwc portfolio is simple, it either consists of skimpy outfits, or you will notice that the angles centre around the chest region, or revolve around the model giving come hither looks.
    Agree with this..

Just check the portfolio and judge what kind of photographer they're working with.

Also, most respectable photographers would not go an make physical contact with a model.

And, if a model feels uneasy or uncomfortable during a shoot due to some unreasonable advances by the photographer, they should just walk out not bear with it.... unreasonable means physical contact by a man, touching, molesting etc.. not "don't like the concept/makeup kinda thing lah.."

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    But it seems that you have a strong urge to shoot cats which probably means "nothing" to you? Unless all the cats you shot are your pets?

I'm comparing photographer who shoot model and photographers who shoot other subjects like cats. Not photographers who ask model to strip and make physical contact. Those, are of a different category.. and those.. are generally not acceptable in the community.
    do you, or do you not understand what the term "GWC" means?

if you are photographer attempting to make a picture out of a model, fine and dandy. as i mentioned later in another post.... it will show most of the time, what your intent is.

if you are photographer who is using photography as excuse to look at girls. your photography revolves around convincing girls to strip (whether by repeated chanting, or smooth tactics), and what your end goal is... is to collect girls like pokemon... then i think there is every reason for me to have a problem with that.

the issue here is intent.

cats mean nothing to me? oh dear..... i think you better not keep a pet.
    Last edited by night86mare; 2nd September 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Agree with this..

Just check the portfolio and judge what kind of photographer they're working with.

Also, most respectable photographers would not go an make physical contact with a model.

And, if a model feels uneasy or uncomfortable during a shoot due to some unreasonable advances by the photographer, they should just walk out not bear with it.... unreasonable means physical contact by a man, touching, molesting etc.. not "don't like the concept/makeup kinda thing lah.."
    just a qualifier - even then, sometimes the portfolio is not enough to judge the photographer.

i know of a photographer with a portfolio that looks entirely decent, but he has gone to the edge of infidelity before... so there are lower order beings than GWC... like i mentioned earlier, the WWC. the ones who know how to conceal their true colours, don the sheep clothing... but underneath it all, they are far worse than the stupid, upfront GWC. put aside serving green tea, these are the ones who will sucker girls to buy green tea for them.

i wonder how they live with themselves... but well, i'm sure they have their ways.

GWC = Guy With Cats

Like me.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    GWC = Guy With Cats

Like me.

i hug you, we are all Guy With Cats

Much has been said about the term GWC, with interesting, differing views.
    Appreciate the TS's efforts in posting this to warn young, innocent, naive gals (or even boys) against perverts.
    But back to the TS first post, what makes a 'Legitimate Photographer'?
    Must apply for licence or certificate or permit then can shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by bEnd1ck View Post
    Must apply for licence or certificate or permit then can shoot?
    NDP media photographers need.
    Last edited by drakon09; 2nd September 2010 at 10:44 AM.

a gwc portfolio is simple, it either consists of skimpy outfits, or you will notice that the angles centre around the chest region, or revolve around the model giving come hither looks.
    Sadly, while this is the best way to check, this is no longer valid.

There are so many paid shoots where the org.er will come up with the concept, book the model, get the location/studio, get the props, select the outfit, set the lights, create the mood, pose the model and even advise the photograpgers on how to shoot. Any smart GWC can sign up with these shoots and with minimum skills and knowledge, create a reasonablely well put together portfolio with nice image.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    There are so many paid shoots where the org.er will come up with the concept, book the model, get the location/studio, get the props, select the outfit, set the lights, create the mood, pose the model and even advise the photograpgers on how to shoot. Any smart GWC can sign up with these shoots and with minimum skills and knowledge, create a reasonablely well put together portfolio with nice image.
    Good point.. it's other pple's effort vs own effort..

zzmaimai has some hang ups. what is the problem with GWCs and professional photographers. talk of GWCs trying to take advantage of models etc is just ridiculous. on the other hand I read that some so called "models" made appointment and just did not turn up. unless we are talking about children here then we better differentiate GWC or buayas. but if all subject matters are adult then I must presume that they are both mature and smart enough not to be taken advantage of.

I own a good camera as I can afford it and yet I am not a professional because I am very happy with my job.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    zzmaimai has some hang ups. what is the problem with GWCs and professional photographers. talk of GWCs trying to take advantage of models etc is just ridiculous. on the other hand I read that some so called "models" made appointment and just did not turn up. unless we are talking about children here then we better differentiate GWC or buayas. but if all subject matters are adult then I must presume that they are both mature and smart enough not to be taken advantage of.

I own a good camera as I can afford it and yet I am not a professional because I am very happy with my job.
    Chill , one thread is for models and the other is for photographers. At the end of the day both are to help either models or photographers to aviod pitfalls
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Er... I am a GWC too... So I feel that TS's post is kinda too generalising things... not all GWC is a wolf in sheep skin...

(Meh... no wonder the beetles and spiders hated me. I always take photos of them and do not have the skills to show off those pics... so they cannot build up their portfolio)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

GWC always on the look out for XMM?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    Haha, after reading this thread, its seems to be the general concept surrounding GWCs
    Last edited by spree86; 2nd September 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    Isn't it the other way around?

I've heard way too many stories here about professionals doing, shall we call it "side work", to earn some extra income.

For example, they will be at a sports event and take photos that have nothing to do with the sport but they find a cheerleader who is up in the air and shoot her from that angle. You're supposed to be able to trust a professional, especially those working for newspapers and magazines, but I think it's difficult to trust anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Sadly, while this is the best way to check, this is no longer valid.
    yar, i added a qualifier...

well, we can always hope what goes around comes around - i'm sure you've seen or heard of a lot of sob cases throughout the years...

TS article is actually misleading. You can never really tell evil intent.

A great portfolio can mislead a newbie model into thinking its a professional photographer without any evil intent. While a GWC can be a newbie trying to start off in the industry without any evil content.

Similarly, a harmless looking model can have evil intent.
    Don't fall for it guys!

i have always called myself as just a guy with a camera. i have no portfolio, little technical know-how, little editing skills, etc. i just take photos.

but there was this one time that I charged a friend sgd50 (as a joke, but i took the money anyway) who requested to cover their ROM wedding just to have a feel of actually being paid for "photography services". and they actually used one of my nice shots in their tarpaulin display at their church wedding. I was a pro for one day for sgd50!

but still a just a guy with a camera...
    "The more you know, the more you suffer."

yar, i added a qualifier...

well, we can always hope what goes around comes around - i'm sure you've seen or heard of a lot of sob cases throughout the years...
    Hahaha, you bet!!!

The best one is when a "model" who want to charge me $80/hour and told me about a very good photographer who just shot her portfolio. In her words, "the photographer have an assistant who set all the lights, props, background and even pose her. They were so professional that the photographer did not even have to tell the asistant what to do" She was so impressed with the photographer ( not the asistant )!!! What she did not know is that I saw the same image in her portfolio posted here by a CSer thanking the studio he rented and the studio owner who help and guild him, in the CSer's own words, "thank you for helping a newbie".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast