Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

  1. #1

    Default Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right section to post but I am kinda lost on where to post for this question but here goes.

    I am planning to attach a metal structure by means of bolting it down on the window ledge. Specifically, it is a pier for a telescope mount, so that I can attach a telescope, not to peek at my neighbours but to admire the moon, planets and stars.

    My question is whether its legal, cos I'm not sure if window ledges are considered "my property". I know we cannot place flower pots and movable items but this pier is permanently bolted down on to the cement window ledge so its very very secure. If its not legal, should I write to HDB or my town council for such a request?

    Look forward to replies. Thanks for reading.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right section to post but I am kinda lost on where to post for this question but here goes.

    I am planning to attach a metal structure by means of bolting it down on the window ledge. Specifically, it is a pier for a telescope mount, so that I can attach a telescope, not to peek at my neighbours but to admire the moon, planets and stars.

    My question is whether its legal, cos I'm not sure if window ledges are considered "my property". I know we cannot place flower pots and movable items but this pier is permanently bolted down on to the cement window ledge so its very very secure. If its not legal, should I write to HDB or my town council for such a request?

    Look forward to replies. Thanks for reading.
    Not sure about the legality of this. Please write in to HDB about this. Why don't you just use a tripod? Or manfrotto super clamps with a Manfrotto magic arm?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not sure about the legality of this. Please write in to HDB about this. Why don't you just use a tripod? Or manfrotto super clamps with a Manfrotto magic arm?
    Tripod will still shake and my whole setup is like 8 - 10kg and i would like to use a goto equatorial mount so that it can track stars and planets properly.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    Tripod will still shake and my whole setup is like 8 - 10kg and i would like to use a goto equatorial mount so that it can track stars and planets properly.
    8-10kg is nothing with a good tripod setup. Anyway, to really take advantage of good mount for observatory use, it is best to get unobstructed view of the sky and a window ain't it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    8-10kg is nothing with a good tripod setup. Anyway, to really take advantage of good mount for observatory use, it is best to get unobstructed view of the sky and a window ain't it.
    8-10kg is the scope+cam+adapters+finders+filters and a good mount that does stable tracking/goto etc adds another 8-10kg. So, the tripod has to carry 16-20kg. So far, only an $800+ manfrotto can do it, versus a customised metal pier that is unshakable and costs only $100-200 max. The reason why I want it on the window ledge is that at least it can reach near-zenith if its outside the window.

    Frankly, I would rather get a wooden surveyor tripod rather than a photographic tripod if I really have to get a tripod.

    I do have a time and commitment constraint as well. I have a toddler and an infant to look after and if I can ob from home, I can enjoy my hobby as well as take care of family commitments. What's more is that I need not care about weight limit and electricity supply.

    Anyway thanks for taking time to answer my queries.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    8-10kg is the scope+cam+adapters+finders+filters and a good mount that does stable tracking/goto etc adds another 8-10kg. So, the tripod has to carry 16-20kg. So far, only an $800+ manfrotto can do it, versus a customised metal pier that is unshakable and costs only $100-200 max. The reason why I want it on the window ledge is that at least it can reach near-zenith if its outside the window.

    Frankly, I would rather get a wooden surveyor tripod rather than a photographic tripod if I really have to get a tripod.

    I do have a time and commitment constraint as well. I have a toddler and an infant to look after and if I can ob from home, I can enjoy my hobby as well as take care of family commitments. What's more is that I need not care about weight limit and electricity supply.

    Anyway thanks for taking time to answer my queries.
    No problem. I can only offer little help here. In my days in the US, my friends all have outdoor or roof-top mini observatory built. It is very fun. Problem is in SG, you never know the regulation on such things especially on government land (we just lease the HDB unit, they own it). Have to be really careful before plonking money down to bolt on any hardware.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Its ok, I am just trying my luck also. Ya, they got the luxury of space and no shipping fees (vpost etc). I guess I'll go for the clamping option rather than a more permanent and sturdy bolting.

    Thanks daredevil123!
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Attaching Mount/Pier On Window Ledge

    Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    Thanks daredevil123!
    Anytime bro.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •