Thread: Unable to focus on Macro mode using NEX5

Default Unable to focus on Macro mode using NEX5

Hi Everyone, I noticed that I am unable to get a good sharp focus (on Auto) for Macro shots using NEX5. Unlike my older PnS camera, there was no such problem. Do I really have to get a Macro len for the NEX5?

Thanks!

Default Re: Unable to focus on Macro mode using NEX5

Yeah, you would. PnS cameras benefit heavily from the small optics with a small sensor to have a very small minimum focus distance. On the NEX, the Macro mode tells the NEX to shoot with the aperture wide open and prioritize objects closest to the lens. But you'll still need to be within the MFD of the lens.
    Alpha

Default Re: Unable to focus on Macro mode using NEX5

Quote Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
    Hi Everyone, I noticed that I am unable to get a good sharp focus (on Auto) for Macro shots using NEX5. Unlike my older PnS camera, there was no such problem. Do I really have to get a Macro len for the NEX5?

Thanks!
    if u r using the kit lenses, they're not really macro lens at all. Its minimum focusing distance is not close enough for macro shots, thus when u try to use it for extreme closeup, it will be blur as u r going less than the minimum focusing range of the lens.

A simple solution would be to buy the raynox macro adaptor which alot of DSLR users buy for macro photography. Its actually a close up filter for attaching onto ur lens (good to use with the NEX's 18-55mm) and giving u a very large magnification.

Alternatively, u can buy any macro lens (from any brand) with an appropriate mount adaptor, to use with the NEX.

The raynox is the better solution though, to be honest.

PS: Its better to manual focus when doing macro.
    Last edited by android17; 1st September 2010 at 12:22 AM.