Thread: Canon S90 vs G9 vs Pansonic Lumix vs Sony Nex

Default Canon S90 vs G9 vs Pansonic Lumix vs Sony Nex

My family has got a Dslr at home with various lens. Would like to get a more compact camera - one that can bring out in my bag easily. I find dslr quite bulky and for some models quite heavy.

I'm more inclined to S90 and Lumix cos they are considerably more compact and slimmer. (g11 is bulkier). Heard Lumix performs well in low light condition? I need good performance in low light.

By the way what's the difference between the picures taken by an advanced compact vs that of dslr? I knw quality will be different- but how so, in what aspects?

Which are the places that have good prices for these cameras?

Default Re: Canon S90 vs G9 vs Pansonic Lumix vs Sony Nex

Which Lumix are you referring to?

In addition, the output of the Sony NEX can rival the output of most cropped-sensor dSLRs.

Hi, For shirt and trouser pockets - lumix, for small bags- nex, and large bags - DSLR. Quality of each depends on model and $$$. New models - lumix 5, nex 5, A55, 60D, D3100,...more in the making. For individual taste, scout around shops and feel.
    Last edited by henry soh; 31st August 2010 at 09:47 AM.

All are good. But the image quality of the NEX is better among the cameras you have chosen. Besides, you can use the lenses you already have on the NEX with an adapter.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

if you really find the DSLR bulky and heavy and all, just sell it off why not?

spend the cash on a nice compact lightweight prosumer or m4/3 camera...

you'll be more willing to carry it out for family gatherings etc...

if you really want low light power... check out the iso reviews of the cameras u are thinking of... the sony nex is quite the best
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

The NEX or even Samsung NX10 would give better photo taking options with their interchangeble lenses, APS-C sensors and better DOF control.
    They would be larger of course, and you probably need the right small form factor lenses to keep them small.

Otherwise, a S90 would be a nice enough compact camera to carry around.

Yes we have a sony550. I was thinking of buyng either a Sony a55 ( but looks like need to wait for quite a few months b4 can get it). Beside it's almost same bulky as dslr except it's little lighter. Hence I'm thinking of compact like lumix (my frn says z10 quite good). Not selling away dslr cos does not belong to me. Didthink of microsystem 4/3 actually- but not much research abt it yet- Any recommedation which is good?
    Last edited by Skies123; 31st August 2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skies123 View Post
    Yes we have a sony550. I was thinking of buyng either a Sony a55 ( but looks like need to wait for quite a few months b4 can get it) or those compact like lumix z10, Sony nex or canon compact..
    I don't think you'll need to wait too long for the A55. But the A55 is still consider big compared to the small cameras you have listed. You may want to get a NEX instead, I believe Sony is working on having the AF work when using your Alpha lenses with the adapter.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Yes we have a sony550. I was thinking of buyng either a Sony a55 ( but looks like need to wait for quite a few months b4 can get it) or those compact like lumix z10, Sony nex or canon compact..
    The A55 should be out a LOT sooner than you think...

But sizewise, you'll be better off with a NEX.
    Alpha

Yes we have a sony550. I was thinking of buyng either a Sony a55 ( but looks like need to wait for quite a few months b4 can get it). Beside it's almost same bulky as dslr except it's little lighter. Hence I'm thinking of compact like lumix (my frn says z10 quite good). Not selling away dslr cos does not belong to me. Didthink of microsystem 4/3 actually- but not much research abt it yet- Any recommedation which is good?
    Then it becomes almost a no brainer to get the NEX

if u already got a DSLR, and the reason u wanna buy a new camera is because you wan a smaller camera, then the A55 isnt really a suitable choice, as its still around the size of a DSLR.

the NEX should fit your needs. Its low light, high ISO performance is the same as the A550 (and Im sure u should know A550's performance).

LOL ! ...buy all 3 !

We already got A500 and Nex 5 in the family ...just missing one more !

I find dslr quite bulky and for some models quite heavy.

I'm more inclined to S90 and Lumix cos they are considerably more compact and slimmer. (g11 is bulkier). Heard Lumix performs well in low light condition? I need good performance in low light.

By the way what's the difference between the picures taken by an advanced compact vs that of dslr? I knw quality will be different- but how so, in what aspects?
    You should get something that you can slip into your pocket.

With a smaller sensor, a compact camera is supposed to be noisier at higher ISO. But you should take a look at the Lumix LX-5 and Canon S95 to see if they can meet your needs.

I tried nex b4 but I don't really like the way I need to manovere around the dail to get the iso, metering, etc set up. Ver ley chey for every time when need to change settings.

Besides the nex 18-200 lens is not out yet... I don't like the kit lens. If geeting nex, would prefer to hv these 2 lens as a package 16mm f2.8 and the 18-250mm. Also maybe get a fsh eye. Can the lens I buy for nex also be adapted to a550?

I tried nex b4 but I don't really like the way I need to manovere around the dail to get the iso, metering, etc set up. Ver ley chey for every time when need to change settings.

Besides the nex 18-200 lens is not out yet... I don't like the kit lens. If geeting nex, would prefer to hv these 2 lens as a package 16mm f2.8 and the 18-250mm. Also maybe get a fsh eye. Can the lens I buy for nex also be adapted to a550?
    Consider the Samsung NX10 then - the kit lens 30mm/f2 is quite good and very compact.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD