Thread: Hoya Japan's largest optical-glass maker.

Default Hoya Japan's largest optical-glass maker.

So the question is..... do they make lenses for canon or nikon as well?

Default Re: Hoya Japan's largest optical-glass maker.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    So the question is..... do they make lenses for canon or nikon as well?
    Well, i heard Tokina make Hoya's lenses, not sure if its true

Optical glass also refers to filters, and we know Hoya is huge there.
    Alpha

I Dunno. But i suspect these big optics makers shld probably design / grind / assemble / build their own lenses. As to how who creates their glass blocks i dunno.

ryan

if i remember correctly... Tokina filters and lenses both use Hoya produced glasses...

also seen from the web that Hoya supply raw optical glasses to those bigger lenses manufacturers...

IIRC, industrial and scientific communities holds a greater percentage of market share for optics manufactured as compared to those intended for consumers.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

i am still confused. So hoya do produce some of the optics for major brands' lenses and that they dont make lenses?

Try Google. It gives some pretty informative stuff, but you do need to countercheck to ensure info given are correct and accurate. Sometimes can get nonsense also, but this one looks interesting.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ut-tokina.html
    Last edited by wildcat; 31st August 2010 at 11:45 AM.

i am still confused. So hoya do produce some of the optics for major brands' lenses and that they dont make lenses?
    Pentax is under Hoya so can consider that they "make" lenses?

maybe hoya produces the glass for the other companies but not the lens la. not surprised also. sony produces sensors for a number of companies as well. nikon supplies steppers. no big deal.

Sony makes sensors for Nikon and Pentax, but u cant say they make cameras for them in that sense, right? Sony does make their own DSLRs though.

Hoya might (I say might, cos Im not sure about this) make optics glasses for other company, but they dont make lenses for them (same example as above). However since Hoya owns Pentax, u can say that Hoya makes lenses themselves, for their Pentax DSLRs.

Need a link to something more substantial, more solidly grounded. At the moment, there's a lot of people repeating that same thing in various posts, but nothing to substantiate it.

Without knowing the source of where he wrote it, I wouldn't put any more or less weight to the issue having read it. For all you know, he's just repeating what others have said in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Need a link to something more substantial, more solidly grounded. At the moment, there's a lot of people repeating that same thing in various posts, but nothing to substantiate it.

Without knowing the source of where he wrote it, I wouldn't put any more or less weight to the issue having read it. For all you know, he's just repeating what others have said in the forum.
    That is why i am so TL about. Lots of Hoo-har but no real substance. Think i can safely closed this case as ....full of bull about hoya producing anything for any major companies. Myth busted!

Anyone with real proof can still post to make it "possible"!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

That is why i am so TL about. Lots of Hoo-har but no real substance. Think i can safely closed this case as ....full of bull about hoya producing anything for any major companies. Myth busted!

Anyone with real proof can still post to make it "possible"!
    Not that simply. Coy may practise ISO/IEC 27002 or similar stuff. Hence u can't get anything from the horse's mouth.

Why does it matter if they do or don't.
    They may have got it from Dow Corning and the sand to make the raw material came from Zambia.
    CanikonyPenoly glued and stacked the elements properly in a nice metal tube and charged me loads of $XXXXX for it

Many items are outsourced nowadays. Anyones guess who does what for whom.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Why does it matter if they do or don't.
    They may have got it from Dow Corning and the sand to make the raw material came from Zambia.
    CanikonyPenoly glued and stacked the elements properly in a nice metal tube and charged me loads of $XXXXX for it

Many items are outsourced nowadays. Anyones guess who does what for whom.
    Guess you dont really care about the vege that you are eating are coming from where? Be it pesticide ridden farms or pure organic farms.

Guess you dont really care about the vege that you are eating are coming from where? Be it pesticide ridden farms or pure organic farms.
    Agri food and Vet authority "chop" on it can already

Same here. Lens reviews, sample photos taken with lens, are good enough to guide my buying.

Haha, i get where you are coming from, but the two things aren't exactly in the same category. one will kill you and one will not