Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so are the photographers in Photography Services Directory

anyway, the term in Photography Services Directory Section is for posting services offered on a personal basis eg freelance, part-time photographers, personal assistants and other photography-related services.

so the same rule apply to the models. and none of the models is a full time model as far as I know of.

and base on what reason you think that imposing a subscription fee for models will solve this "aeroplaned" issue?
    It's really not about what I think but what members in general are perceiving and experiencing here, that is getting aeroplaned by irresponsible models. Maybe my suggestion to impose a posting fee on models sounds ridiculous to some but at least I tried to offer ideas to an existing and recurring problem in this forum. And several members have also testified that this is not just an isolated incident.

So rather than sweep it under the carpet why not consider the options that can help to overcome this problem. If not immediate maybe gradually.

Does being a freelance model mean she can disregard the efforts and mock the intentions of other freelance photographers? Paid or not paid, full time or part time. Taking responsibility should not be conditional to a person's status, but it does require enforcement to ensure certain aspects of the employment are met to the minimum at least. I'm sure several of the photoshoot organisers are part time or freelancers as well, but they still happily accept the subscription charges imposed on them.

I have stopped engaging models through CS for a long long time cos of their lousy reputation and my example though not linked to CS, still resonates similarity to what some shooters here experienced. I do feel for them and hope through certain implication from me, could eventually balance the favour to them.

But that is just me...
    Last edited by de_stan; 1st September 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

To the TS: just move on. Things like that happen in due course. You seem to keep beating a dead horse. Boring Yawnnn

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    deters "fly by night" want to earn quick bucks models?

since they are not willing to pay, can see if they are serious enough.

and those who wish to pay will more committed since they want to earn back their cost if they fly aeroplane=miss opportunity to get paid for job done=fork out money from own pocket=should i pay to advertise myself?
    there are many modelling sites out there and it is free. many models told me they can get better jobs and photographers out there.

I doubt any models will be willing to pay here, this will only drive the models here to go underground, so a secrete namelist of models will be passing around the photographers.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

there are some incompetent models around, and I find it is amazing to ask for a solution for such issue here.

other photographers also provide their experience and solutions, if you read carefully on the previous posts, you will find how to work it out.

I have to stop here, it getting nowhere.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

wow... i din even realised i was dragged into this until the mods told me.

just my 2cents - life sucks. move on. i have more or less stopped looking for freelancers here cos i have more or less stopped shooting models. the few times (like with the mentioned model that i was implicated in) that i do, it's more for me to practice my meagre studio skills.

why do i stop? more often than not, the 'models' here are out for a quick buck, with unreasonable demands. i have more than enough horror stories to make your hairs stand - only can shoot in the late afternoons (bet 2-3pm) becos partied the nite before... not a problem if the shoot was indoors. but this was outdoor... who the hell shoots at 2-3pm? got one model a few years ago (still occasionally popping up in CS) who was just starting out, contacted me via another freelancer whom i was shooting some time ago (happened that they were friends, i think), asked me to shoot her... and give her my evening dresses after the shoot becos she din have any. got a few more, who wanted to bring their boyfriends/frens/mothers/etc... to the shoot. normally i don't mind... but just dun spring these surprises on me 1hr before the shoot?

the point is we are not going to make wannabes sign up like advertisers, becos it won't make an iota of difference. you can post all the 'juicy' details you want, when they aeroplane you... it will just make them more popular becos now more people want to hire them. for wat reason, i have no idea... probably like the 'ris low' effect bah? end of the day? just like buy/sell, buyers beware. you want good and reasonably (and i use these terms rather.... generously) professional-acting models, go to some freelance model websites. or, like me, get frens.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    It's really not about what I think but what members in general are perceiving and experiencing here, that is getting aeroplaned by irresponsible models. Maybe my suggestion to impose a posting fee on models sounds ridiculous to some but at least I tried to offer ideas to an existing and recurring problem in this forum. And several members have also testified that this is not just an isolated incident.

So rather than sweep it under the carpet why not consider the options that can help to overcome this problem. If not immediate maybe gradually.

Does being a freelance model mean she can disregard the efforts and mock the intentions of other freelance photographers? Paid or not paid, full time or part time. Taking responsibility should not be conditional to a person's status, but it does require enforcement to ensure certain aspects of the employment are met to the minimum at least. I'm sure several of the photoshoot organisers are part time or freelancers as well, but they still happily accept the subscription charges imposed on them.

I have stopped engaging models through CS for a long long time cos of their lousy reputation and my example though not linked to CS, still resonates similarity to what some shooters here experienced. I do feel for them and hope through certain implication from me, could eventually balance the favour to them.

But that is just me...
    We have to get our priority correct and keep it in focus.

This is a photography forum with videography too - our focus is that.

Models is one of the many subjects for photography. So we are not going to get distracted and spend our effort on this area that is not or main aim or focus.

Whether one engages model in CS or not it really doesn't matter to us much. But it does matters to the "models" or wannabe. Hence it is to their own interest to clean up their act. To impose on some fees is actually shooting our (mod and admin) feet. For that pittance amount we have to police, to spend time watch them etc. not worth it at all. One simple day shoot I would have earn more than a year of the "subscription" as suggested.

You can say we are sweeping it under the carpet, yes we are. Cos it is cheaper than trying to recycle something that cannot be recycled into gold.

Anyway thank you for your suggestion.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 1st September 2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    and those who wish to pay will more committed since they want to earn back their cost if they fly aeroplane=miss opportunity to get paid for job done=fork out money from own pocket=should i pay to advertise myself?
    More importantly, the serious ones will treasure their "reputation". Fly aeroplane=exposed in KPT=less POTENTIAL income.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    there are many modelling sites out there and it is free. many models told me they can get better jobs and photographers out there.
    I suspect that CS will offer a supply of photographer which are not as available elsewhere..

Yes, they can advert in MM or others.. but that is where "professional" models advertise too.. there's competition althou the job are probably juicier.

Competitions in CS is lesser.. Also, how many photographers here look for models here instead of MM? I guess there's a particular market here for the freelance models

PS: These are just opinions. Considering the points given by the mod, it may not be really feasible or practical to implement a fee.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 1st September 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Yes, they can advert in MM or others.. but that is where "professional" models advertise too.. there's competition althou the job are probably juicier.

Competitions in CS is lesser.. Also, how many photographers here look for models here instead of MM? I guess there's a particular market here for the freelance models
    depends.

there are photographers with questionable reputation that have vanished from cs and now permanently reside in MM.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514682

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    depends.

there are photographers with questionable reputation that have vanished from cs and now permanently reside in MM.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514682
    So, CS is still probably "safer" for freelance models..

So, there could be a market in CS for those freelance models..

Models or otherwise, they are young girls, and with common sense prevailing over the lure of money (i hope!), and should conduct themselves with the proper prudence.

Putting themselves in a situation where their safety and modesty is compromised must then be a conscious choice that they make - and if they choose that path, come what may, they must then exercise personal responsibility; don't expect to be protected if you choose not to protect yourself first.

As for the "photographers", do the crime and you do the time. Free tattoos provided as well.

interesting read...

i wonder why is there a need for forum to impose rules for freelancers out there.

if a photographer cannot tolerate any model going AWOL after agreeing to a shoot, it is up to the photographer to impose some kind of measures to protection themselves. like deposits... or whatever.

is there a need for CS to regulate how things is being done for freelancers out there?

because aeroplanes fliers are a public nuisance?

But anyway.. I guess just bring attention (like this thread) to the specific frequent fliers should be sufficient already lah.. no need to go overboard...

sometimes when we go out with our frens, we also kena fly aeroplane...

Weird.. nowadays.. model asking how many AF points your camera have........

solid ... so my 5D MKII cmi riao...

It's a ... metaphor for something else!

Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu View Post
    Lagi best is you use only a split-image central focusing aid - 1 'af' point!!!

did they ask how big ur len is?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu View Post
    wah.. how you know ar..?

Actually indeed she mentioned "like 51 AF point..".... "can produce sharper pictures...."....... so 5D probably cmi too.....

Actually indeed she mentioned "like 51 AF point..".... "can produce sharper pictures...."....... so 5D probably cmi too.....
    Haha...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast