Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 184

Thread: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

  1. #1

    Default Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    I wonder if any of you experienced irresponsible models who aeroplane you at the last minute or gave you all sorts of problems?
    If you have don't mind share your encounter here and name the model involved. I mean we the photographers spent all the time, effort and sometimes money to get the shoot organised only to be put off by such juvenile behaviors.

    My encounter was back in April this year, this model who was also a SIA crew named Yun approached me and asked if I can do a TFCD for her? Theme maybe casual to exotic outfits. I agreed and she gave me the date she is free for the shoot. Days before it she was so excited kept msning me about the whole affair and even discussed with me what kind of look she wants to achieve. On my part I sourced and booked a studio and dutifully told her about it.

    Come the day of the shoot. We were scheduled to meet at 3pm, I offered to pick her up at her place around 2.00pm since she will be carrying bags of her outfits and thought it might be too heavy for her.

    1.30pm, msg her hp no reply.
    1.45pm, called her hp no answer
    Sensing something amiss i smsed and called her a few more times but all no answer.
    By 2.45pm I called the studio and told them I'm cancelling the shoot due to MIA by the model, fortunately the studio owner is a close friend and she was quite ok with it. But I was so embarresed at having to cancel the appointment last minute.

    Then guessed what at 5.00pm, 2 hours after our scheduled shoot appointment. I received an sms from her telling me she just woke up cos she slept at 6am the morning before because of overnight mahjong! She dare not call my hp and just sms me but best of all not a word of apology from her at all! What upsets me more is she was the one who approached me for the shoot and I went through the trouble to arrange it for her!

    I believe I am not the only one with such encounters. I am really disgusted by some of the so called 'model's behaviour who are so selfish and irresponsible. If I had booked a studio elsewhere I probably have to pay a non-refundable deposit. Can I claim back the deposit from the model? I doubt so! I think to protect the interest of fellow photographers, we should highlight who are the irresponsible girls (I don't think they deserved to be called models) who don't honor their obligations. It's time something is done about them!
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    i feel for u bro.

    yup i have similar experiences also.

    kana fly aeroplane by 3 TFCD models.

    the latest one (her surname ong), sms me at 6+am telling me that she just got home from clubbing and ask to postpone the shoot which is supposed to be 10am.

    hmm i feel that those who want to shoot in a studio witht the model should ask the model to split the cost, cos its unfair for the photographer to pay for everything then risk getting played out.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    we should also have a thread for the other end of the stick to be fair.

    even though this is a photographers' forums, i think to be more objective we should also allow models to air their frustrations about photographers - i.e. wolf-like behaviour, sweating too much, drooling too much, turning up late, etc..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    These are just model wannabes. Maybe it is becos they don't have to pay a single cent for the shoot that they take things lightly (like it's just a free shoot anyway) and definitely not high in their priority to make it a point to attend or be there on time. So it comes down to character flaw.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i feel for u bro.

    yup i have similar experiences also.

    kana fly aeroplane by 3 TFCD models.

    the latest one (her surname ong), sms me at 6+am telling me that she just got home from clubbing and ask to postpone the shoot which is supposed to be 10am.

    hmm i feel that those who want to shoot in a studio witht the model should ask the model to split the cost, cos its unfair for the photographer to pay for everything then risk getting played out.
    Ask them to split the cost?
    I think tougher than winning TOTO!
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  6. #6

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    These are just model wannabes. Maybe it is becos they don't have to pay a single cent for the shoot that they take things lightly (like it's just a free shoot anyway) and definitely not high in their priority to make it a point to attend or be there on time. So it comes down to character flaw.
    100% agree with you!
    They do have character problem, so all the more the photographers need to be informed who are the 'black sheeps' before making a costly mistake.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  7. #7
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    This problem is those wanabe models are been pampered by those wanabe photographer.

    Those girls know that they can easily find another person to TFCD them.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    This problem is those wanabe models are been pampered by those wanabe photographer.

    Those girls know that they can easily find another person to TFCD them.
    But what about those paid assignments?
    No excuse to display such behaviours right?
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    But what about those paid assignments?
    No excuse to display such behaviours right?

    paid = not a wannabe photographer?

    oh dear...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    But what about those paid assignments?
    No excuse to display such behaviours right?
    Many of the girls got those own fan club, they just manja abit, all her fans will forget about everything and still support her.....

    Like some had mentioned, it is character problem. Also because many GWC had given them a big head.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    paid = not a wannabe photographer?

    oh dear...
    Must also pay for green tea.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    paid = not a wannabe photographer?

    oh dear...
    I think your comment of 'wannabe photographer' is inappropriate and irrelevant to this discussion.
    Firstly, these models advertised their services here and even stated clearly their prices for the respective themed shoots.
    Whether I am a pro, amateur or in your words a wannabe, so long as I agree to engage her at her stated fee she has an obligation to deliver her services to the best of her ability. And professionalism also includes being punctual for appointments.

    So even if I am just shooting for fun, but does that mean I have to tolerate such irresponsible behaviour especially when I am paying for her services?
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  13. #13
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    I think your comment of 'wannabe photographer' is inappropriate and irrelevant to this discussion.
    Firstly, these models advertised their services here and even stated clearly their prices for the respective themed shoots.
    Whether I am a pro, amateur or in your words a wannabe, so long as I agree to engage her at her stated fee she has an obligation to deliver her services to the best of her ability. And professionalism also includes being punctual for appointments.

    So even if I am just shooting for fun, but does that mean I have to tolerate such irresponsible behaviour especially when I am paying for her services?
    What you can do is to warn others by words of mouth, but looking at what's happening in the past few years, really nothing much can be done.....even those xmm shoot organiser also kena fly areoplane by those girls.

    Btw, this is not and wouldn't be the last thread of this type of simliar case.
    Last edited by Leong23; 30th August 2010 at 12:28 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    What you can do is to warn others by words of mouth, but looking at what's happening in the past few years, really nothing much can be done.....even those xmm shoot organiser also kena fly areoplane by those girls.
    Word of mouth can only get you so much awareness, and it will always be your words against her words.
    At least here in writing the parties can contest if there is any false representation and a chance to 'air' their side of the story. Then we will be able to tell who is right and who is BS.

    I even welcome those organisers to share their stories. That shows it is not their fault and they are victims too.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    we should also have a thread for the other end of the stick to be fair.
    That's fair..

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    This problem is those wanabe models are been pampered by those wanabe photographer.

    Those girls know that they can easily find another person to TFCD them.
    That's true

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    paid = not a wannabe photographer?

    oh dear...
    That's irrelevant comment..

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Since it's a sharing thread..

    I never kena aeroplane..

    But the worst case is model late for like 1.5hrs.. and somemore it's 2 photographers waiting.. and the model keep asking like it's drizzling and whether the shoot is still on when we told her that we're already there.. At least.. just turn up and we can work out something right.. but since she finally turn up and fulfill her part of the obligation.. no complains here..

    TFCD, by the way.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    My potential model always flew away.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post

    Like some had mentioned, it is character problem. Also because many GWC had given them a big head.
    Free studio.. free transport.. wah.. no wonder nowadays little business liao..

    There are also photographers who are prepared to pay even thou model actually request for TFCD.. (there was a thread.. model is a "mother" who says she needs to give priority to her young so the photographer is next in line (not sure how far behind..) and so kena areoplane'ed.. no choice.. )

    Consider so many photographers giving good service.. many wannabe w/o car & $$ can shoot grass liao..

    but then.. it's a free market.. those with the best endurance will stay..

    Oops.. ot too much..

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    My potential model always flew away.
    err.. model is different from "subject" lah.. you sure your "model" really "flew"....?

  20. #20
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Any photographers experienced 'model' problems?

    I don't see that as a problem,

    I would say that is a "culture", "custom" or "ritual" for them to fly photographers aeroplane.....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •