View Poll Results: Are you pleased with the promises made in the National Day Rally 2010?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!! Looking forward!!

    4 12.50%
  • No! More could be done! Am not too pleased.

    22 68.75%
  • Maybe... am not too sure what's really in store. wait and see!

    6 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    on new immigrants


    on education


    on the Singapore Spirit


    a rather brief overview, inclusive NSMen new benefit as well as housing for the general public.



    I think it is one of hope.

    i think i m pretty happy with the promises to assure each and every Singaporean that the HDB flats(public housing) are within reach(financially and availability).


    overall, i'm rather pleased.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    its polling time!!


    poll runs for 10days.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    911

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    I'm in the "sandwich class" and not much on offer for me, servicing home loan, completed NS reservist, sole breadwinner of family and paying bills and taxes.

    This year only get annual increment of 1%, even though Co performing above expectation, but cost of living I think more than that.

    Haiz, what to do?, can only complain lor!
    Last edited by greenieadi; 30th August 2010 at 08:14 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    On new immigrants.

    What is the meaning of "will not upset the current mix of races among the population"?

    Does it mean it will maintain or bring the balance of mix among races back to when racial quota was first setup? or does it mean with the many foreign influx in already as it currently has now? Somehow it is unclear to me what it means.

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Remember to leave politics out of this discussion

  6. #6
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    The only thing that I can be happier about is I can gt $9000 when I "masuk".

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    The only thing that I can be happier about is I can gt $9000 when I "masuk".
    i like this part too.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    On new immigrants.

    What is the meaning of "will not upset the current mix of races among the population"?

    Does it mean it will maintain or bring the balance of mix among races back to when racial quota was first setup? or does it mean with the many foreign influx in already as it currently has now? Somehow it is unclear to me what it means.
    i think this is a very sensitive issue. i hope for more answers too.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    I think Lao Lee is very charismatic. Can speak well and convincing, even if you know otherwise. Ex-PM Goh also was very charismatic, and I am convinced he speaks from the heart. Just personal thoughts.

    No wonder they say, to be a good politician, you need to be charismatic also.

  10. #10
    Member thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    On new immigrants.

    What is the meaning of "will not upset the current mix of races among the population"?

    Does it mean it will maintain or bring the balance of mix among races back to when racial quota was first setup? or does it mean with the many foreign influx in already as it currently has now? Somehow it is unclear to me what it means.
    maybe it just means that the percentages of the 3 major races will be kept more or less unchanged, no major planned increase or decrease in the numbers. i guess the foreign influx will also be kept within these percentages

  11. #11
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    maybe it just means that the percentages of the 3 major races will be kept more or less unchanged, no major planned increase or decrease in the numbers. i guess the foreign influx will also be kept within these percentages
    Let's say you are right. It can mean that as long as the mix are maintained at the same percentages, it would mean we can bring as many immigrants as possible. So your statement cannot be correct. Unless, it means maintaining the local versus immigrants pre-2008 figures.

    Well, that too is in question which figures to use? pre-2008 or current? aren't the populace unhappy with current figures? that is why it was being addressed?

    So, it is not as straight-forward as said in plain English.

  12. #12
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    The only thing that I can be happier about is I can gt $9000 when I "masuk".
    S$9,000 deposited gradually into your CPF and PSEA till you are 40 or 50 not one shot instant cash hand out.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  13. #13
    Member thenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Let's say you are right. It can mean that as long as the mix are maintained at the same percentages, it would mean we can bring as many immigrants as possible. So your statement cannot be correct. Unless, it means maintaining the local versus immigrants pre-2008 figures.

    Well, that too is in question which figures to use? pre-2008 or current? aren't the populace unhappy with current figures? that is why it was being addressed?

    So, it is not as straight-forward as said in plain English.
    i don't think it means they can bring as many immigrants. the percentages are separate from local-vs-immigrants, as immigrants can also be one of the 3 major races

    immigrants are maintained within the percentages, but at the same time they are slowing down the rate. it will not be as many as in previous years

  14. #14

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    the whole talk is like 安慰几句

  15. #15

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    On new immigrants.

    What is the meaning of "will not upset the current mix of races among the population"?

    Does it mean it will maintain or bring the balance of mix among races back to when racial quota was first setup? or does it mean with the many foreign influx in already as it currently has now? Somehow it is unclear to me what it means.
    Current pretty means now as in today.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  16. #16
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I think Lao Lee is very charismatic. Can speak well and convincing, even if you know otherwise. Ex-PM Goh also was very charismatic, and I am convinced he speaks from the heart. Just personal thoughts.

    No wonder they say, to be a good politician, you need to be charismatic also.
    likewise, i also felt that mr.lee is indeed very charismatic, even charming to a certain extend.

    but still, i yearn to hear some answers on some rather sensitive issues.

    i think to be a successful politician, the main criteria must be charisma and the ability to convince n lead.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    S$9,000 deposited gradually into your CPF and PSEA till you are 40 or 50 not one shot instant cash hand out.
    will use this amount to pay for flat.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  18. #18

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    I suggest to compare what has been promised before the previous election and what has been done so far as a benchmark.

    From there, you can actually gauged for yourself...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    I suggest to compare what has been promised before the previous election and what has been done so far as a benchmark.

    From there, you can actually gauged for yourself...
    guess i chose to be hopeful...
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  20. #20
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: National Day Rally 2010 - glad?

    In summary, what I read and understood was, we hear your concerns but foreign influx policy still continues but will not affect current racial mix and immigrants please learn to mix with the different communities in Singapore. Sounds about right?

    Well, at least it sounded nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •