Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: National Service Recognition Award : National Day Rally

Default Re: National Service Recognition Award : National Day Rally

Quote Originally Posted by greenieadi View Post
    $9k ≠ Free lunch.

We should expect something to increase to pay for this award.

S'pore is the only place in the world where people feel scared whenever the govt is giving out money

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    S'pore is the only place in the world where people feel scared whenever the govt is giving out money
    Because the sum that is taken back in exchange for the money that is given is so much more.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    Yep ! Agree !

This is because for every $1 they give you, they will find means of getting back from you at least $1.50 !
    Of course we are scared .....

Dun give money, complain govt never take care of citizens.
    give out money, old soldiers complain they never get.
    those NSmen that will get 1 or 2 payments, complain they not getting all 3 trenches.
    those that can get all 3 trenches complain its locked up in CPF.
    typical singaporean mentality.

dun forget that with or without this payout, all Singaporeans already enjoy peace and stability so that we can just focus on our jobs, make money (whether its our parents or us) and buy our photography equipment.

This award is really an insult to the old soldiers. Served extra 1/2 year for nothing...kenna tekan like hell for nothing.....somemore have to carry unit's flag during NDP for nothing.....served reservist for nothing.......

It's not the $10.5K i heart pain....i just feel my contribution to this nation has been forgotten.....i just feel nowadays, being a Singapore Citizen feels like a foreigner staying in Singapore. Look around us, your workplace.....the area which you're staying......when you go jalan jalan.......does it feel like home anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    This award is really an insult to the old soldiers. Served extra 1/2 year for nothing...kenna tekan like hell for nothing.....somemore have to carry unit's flag during NDP for nothing.....served reservist for nothing.......

It's not the $10.5K i heart pain....i just feel my contribution to this nation has been forgotten.....i just feel nowadays, being a Singapore Citizen feels like a foreigner staying in Singapore. Look around us, your workplace.....the area which you're staying......when you go jalan jalan.......does it feel like home anymore?
    if one has been involved in policy making before, u would have known that all policies have an effective date. that's how the system works everywhere.

some with feel left out, some will benefit. this is life.
    eat. drink. shoot

Haha.....so how many percent of old soldiers out there are supposed to have had policy making experience to know and understand this?

I would say life is such that most are just normal male citizens who had contributed and would like to be appreciated, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    if one has been involved in policy making before, u would have known that all policies have an effective date. that's how the system works everywhere.

yes, u r right.
    policy does have an effective date.

However, the reason why this policy came about is to reward those who have contributed.
    Hence, for this very reason. If i may ask, do those that have ROD, or 1-2 more cycles b4 they do so not contributed to the nation? Guess this shows clearly on the direction that the govt is taking/going for

To put it clearly, we are just voicing out as to why it does not cover those who have contributed and have passed all 3 milestones.

So now... it is not about a policy's effective date but about the very reason why this policy came about or what it is catering for

Haha.....so how many percent of old soldiers out there are supposed to have had policy making experience to know and understand this?

I would say life is such that most are just normal male citizens who had contributed and would like to be appreciated, isn't it?
    right on~
    do not need to be rewarded with big sum but just want to be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post

National Service RECOGNITION Award..since when does Recongnition have a effective date?

Ya lor, don't understand why some ppl like to rationalise for gahment. Just give those who completed their 3 milestones the $10.5k / $9k.

Having an eff date make many feel un-recognised for past service - so much for a recognition award!

Just imagine those citizens who completed Full-time NS long time ago, suffering service injury from it and never serve reservist due to permanent downgrade therefore no MR.

They totally get $0 becoz of policy with eff date. How they feel? I know of one.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 3rd September 2010 at 04:52 PM.

I think there's a big problem if one argues that the money should be given to ALL previous NSmen also. Then the big question is: From when should we start? The very first men who served their NS dating back decades ago? As good as saying, ALL Singaporean men who have served NS will get the money. That would amount to a lot of money involved!

I think we need to look forward. Whatever benefits the present and future NSmen can get, just be thankful for it.

Just like a present recruit today earns a few hundred $ monthly. Do you know how much a recruit earns back in the '70s, '80s and '90s? Pittance compared to today's standards. But it's unreasonable for present NSmen to cry for compensation.

And what about the fact that NS used to be 2 1/2 years to serve? Today, NSFs need to serve less than 2 years. Unfair?

So is the $9k/10.5k to REALLY recognize contributions for NSmen? Perhaps yes, perhaps not. See how you look at it.

Let's not be sour that some get it and some don't. Seriously, it's a small token of appreciation for whatever REAL reasons. $9k cash is peanuts by Singapore's living standards. And I heard it's not even cash or one lump sum given!

Doesn't matter the reasons, those who got less will definitely be unhappy. Best not to give at all, so like NSmen in the past, we serve our country becoz gahment say it's a must.

Why must gahment "reward" the younger generation, makes us past NSmen not happy. I believe NSmen of old are already financially independant.

It's not about the money. You get the dig.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 3rd September 2010 at 11:28 PM.

I believe NSmen of old are already financially independant.
    there are those above 45, who need a job more urgently than the money.
    below is an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Posted View Post
    Thank-you PM for giving the big bonus to NSmen. As a person who is fast approaching 50, I don't need the S9k as urgently as finding a good stable job. I did not mention salary because I can accept the same lower salary as FT, and put in equally long hours as FT for the employers. But, does PM you know the ground situation is that local employers are shunting many middle age people who are equally qualified as any new FTs, and maybe have more real-life experiences than many new FTs. This is the bleak condition of job that post 40-years old singaporeans are facing that no amount of money can compensate.

tan kk
    Last edited by Simon_84; 4th September 2010 at 12:14 AM.

All I can comment on that is - if it's in cash I think he would have said it differently.

Without knowing much about his predicament and educational/financial/health/personal background, we can't really comment much on that statement.

All I can say, when we are in our 20's must start saving up for our old age. Financial prudence is a must.

And as much as I disagree there's no more such thing as being a loyal employee, seek other opportunities if you must. Job hopping if it increases your income and experience is the norm.

So is switching to another line of work, provided you are willing to learn and work hard at it. I'm a proof of the last statement, from electronics line to working out in hot sun in petrochemical refinery. Not many of my peers willing to do that (too hot lah, smelly lah, dangerous lah, ...etc) but the rewards I reaped both financially and experience wise is satisfying. I never rule out switch to another line of work if need be.

So, I can't really believe what tankk is saying, it's about one's expectations for the employment he seeks.

Sorry for OT.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 4th September 2010 at 04:11 AM.

So is switching to another line of work, provided you are willing to learn and work hard at it. I'm a proof of the last statement, from electronics line to working out in hot sun in petrochemical refinery. Not many of my peers willing to do that (too hot lah, smelly lah, dangerous lah, ...etc) but the rewards I reaped both financially and experience wise is satisfying. I never rule out switch to another line of work if need be.
    is easier said than done.

like you i used to be in electronics (semi-con), as things took turn for the worst last year, i make a crazy decision to change field.
    switching field is especially tough when the market is on the downturn and most employers preferred ppl with relevant experience instead of newbies.
    for 4 mouths, i survived on temp jobs just to crap through even though i have some savings.

end up in my last desperate way, i turned to spamming my friends on msn for a job.
    and found one in the construction line, no 13th month bonus, no year end bonus, just OT allowance only.

having work a year in this industry, the next line i want to hop to is shipping but does any company wanna give me a chance ?
    that's really a big question mark for me...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 4th September 2010 at 10:19 AM.

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread...702#post473702

in my pov is, i rather give them back the 9k and kindly excused me from future ICTs as is a big disturbance when it comes to career matters.

knn...I received my letter thanking me for completing my ORNS last year. Guess it means that I am not getting anything! WTF!!!

agreed!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast