Thread: Extended warranty for DSLR

Default Extended warranty for DSLR

Anyone here bought extended warranty for your DSLRs? From what I know, major manufacturers like Nikon or Canon does not provide such a service. So it is worth getting one? The last time I checked it costs ard $350 to get one from Harvey Norman and also not forgetting the high retail cost of getting from them.

I think only part that is mostly to be spoilt is just the shutter rite? And it costs ard only $200 to replace them and you can shoot it for another 30k - 50k times.

Jason H0
    Guests

What's the use of extended warranty if 1-2 years down the road the camera model or parts are in no longer production. How then are they going to repair or replace for you? Do you think the department stores promoting extended warranty will give you a new replacement DSLR?

Deregistered

FYI, the D2H shutter replacement is averaged about $450, and built on the F5, it can last near 150K shots, D70 & D100 is about 50K.

I would really focus my warranty on the sensor more than the shutter. It's most costly to replace a sensor than the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H0
    What's the use of extended warranty if 1-2 years down the road the camera model or parts are in no longer production. How then are they going to repair or replace for you? Do you think the department stores promoting extended warranty will give you a new replacement DSLR?
    As a matter of fact, yes. It is stated in the extended warranty that they will replace one of similar model if it is beyond repair and if the camera is no longer in production. But they will only do it once. After replacement, extended warranty will be terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    FYI, the D2H shutter replacement is averaged about $450, and built on the F5, it can last near 150K shots, D70 & D100 is about 50K.

I would really focus my warranty on the sensor more than the shutter. It's most costly to replace a sensor than the shutter.
    Thanks espn. Any idea what is the lifespan of a sensor?

Replcement of sensor is more costly than shutter. Therefore do get extended warranty if u can. It's like buying insurance for your camera. Unless you usage is very low.

Under the US consumer law, manufacturer has to keep inventory parts of a product for at least 6 years after they stop production/discontinued it. Hence, you'll be assured of spares within that period.

HN's extended warranty is more costly. Go for Best Denki extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholaslee
    HN's extended warranty is more costly. Go for Best Denki extended warranty.
    Thanks for the info. Any idea how much cheaper?