Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus E-620 vs Pentax K-x vs Sony SLT-A33

Default Re: Olympus E-620 vs Pentax K-x vs Sony SLT-A33

Hey you knw its kinda unfair to gun down the e620 just like that. I have laid my hands on a couple of entry level cameras from sony, canon (i didnt the nikon, i dnt knw why) and the form factor of the oly won me over.

THis is one camera that has let me relive the limited time i had shooting film. my eos 300 gear was as small as the e620 is and its great to have a camera that lets you focus on your shooting instead of worrying abt gear.
    Its definitely more fun to use than any other cameras i have and my 30D has been in the box ever since. I only use my Canon for paid assignments (I also shot with the e620 too many times) or when I really specifically require it as i had made some investment in lenses.

Its the one little camera that got me hooked on olympus and if I had the money, i would be tempted to go the route of investing in their legendary SHG zuikos but that of course relies on their long-awaited release for the e-5. THeir f2 zooms will replace my prime lenses line up, though i have gone through so much with Canon that its sad to think of even parting with my current gear.

Im not saying that its the best camera, but hey just try it. You may never know if you really like it. I used to not even look at Olympus products till my wife wanted the e620 (ok I admit that its her camera and i have kidnapped it many many times!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    Hey you knw its kinda unfair to gun down the e620 just like that. I have laid my hands on a couple of entry level cameras from sony, canon (i didnt the nikon, i dnt knw why) and the form factor of the oly won me over.

THis is one camera that has let me relive the limited time i had shooting film. my eos 300 gear was as small as the e620 is and its great to have a camera that lets you focus on your shooting instead of worrying abt gear.
    Its definitely more fun to use than any other cameras i have and my 30D has been in the box ever since. I only use my Canon for paid assignments (I also shot with the e620 too many times) or when I really specifically require it as i had made some investment in lenses.

Its the one little camera that got me hooked on olympus and if I had the money, i would be tempted to go the route of investing in their legendary SHG zuikos but that of course relies on their long-awaited release for the e-5. THeir f2 zooms will replace my prime lenses line up, though i have gone through so much with Canon that its sad to think of even parting with my current gear.

Im not saying that its the best camera, but hey just try it. You may never know if you really like it. I used to not even look at Olympus products till my wife wanted the e620 (ok I admit that its her camera and i have kidnapped it many many times!).
    Like I always said, it is all about personal preference. One man's meat can be another man's poison.

Quote Originally Posted by hitendra View Post
    it was also very interesting to see ghostfit's views.. the thing is, while i am not in a hurry, very often we get into "paralysis by analysis" mode, and never end up buying.. so i do want to make a call and start clicking

and why these 3 - well... purely because of price..my view is that all these 3 will do a good job..

however, interestingly, no one commented on things like availability of lenses (vendor and 3rd patry), experience of shooting in various situations (street, landscape, macro, night etc.) - i know we can't comment on slt-a33 yet... maybe after comex
    I know exactly what you mean ! ...I was quite recently in the same state of mind deliberating on which lens to buy, the Sony 75-300, Sigma 70-300 or the Tamron 70-300, I was running around for weeks checking price, stocks, etc ...was woken up by my wife who chilled me for wasting time hunting lens instead of spending quality time with family ...I began to see that it was just a $250 to $360 purchase and not a $2,000 to $3,000 lens buy ! ...no need to tear out any hair ! ...follow nike, "Just do it" ! ...and got family happy to boot.

...I do agree with your decision to decide after Comex ! ...go touch and feel all 3 cameras before you commit to the one which appeals to you (your hand and your heart) the most !

Suzuki swift , Honda fit , Toyota rush which one better ? I really duno. At this point where I m broke I will go for the cheapest one cos all 3 cars can move.

If I got money I will probably ditch all 3 and get mini Cooper
    Alpha and Omega

Just to add on after playing with the A33/A55 last sunday:

Sony A33/A55 wins
    *Camera grip: The Sony got my vote, althought it's abit smaller, it has more of a secure grip feeling compared to the Pentax, maybe 'cos it lighter.
    *Viewfinder: I was quite amaze by the SLT's EVF, certainly like no EVF I've seen before ! I think the information overlays plus IQ will win many fans, complete opposite to the spartan OVF of the Kx (Which doesn't even shows where the focus is)
    *Live View shooting mode: Very well known, I don't need to emphasize.
    *Video mode: IQ and shooting HD vids is much better with the SLT.
    *LCD: In addition to a better looking display, it also swivels every which way.
    *AF speed: Comparing both with the stock 18-55 kit lens, the SLT seems to focus faster.

Pentax Kx wins
    *Best bang for the buck: For a good $200 or so cheaper than the rumoured SRP of the A33, the Kx is still a good choice for those on a tight budget.
    *Batteries and battery life: AA is cheap and available everywhere, the SLT uses the expensive Nex battery packs and has a poor CIPA rating of 200-300 shots (shocking when I compare this to my A500's rating of 1000+ shots)

To be fair, the Kx was released about a year ago and should not be compared to the latest offering from Sony...
    Last edited by Ghostfit; 31st August 2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    Just to add on after playing with the A33/A55 last sunday:

Sony A33/A55 wins
    *Camera grip: The Sony got my vote, althought it's abit smaller, it has more of a secure grip feeling compared to the Pentax, maybe 'cos it lighter.
    *Viewfinder: I was quite amaze by the SLT's EVF, certainly like no EVF I've seen before ! I think the information overlays plus IQ will win many fans, complete opposite to the spartan OVF of the Kx (Which doesn't even shows where the focus is)
    *Live View shooting mode: Very well known, I don't need to emphasize.
    *Video mode: IQ and shooting HD vids is much better with the SLT.
    *LCD: In addition to a better looking display, it also swivels every which way.
    *AF speed: Comparing both with the stock 18-55 kit lens, the SLT seems to focus faster.

Pentax Kx wins
    *Best bang for the buck: For a good $200 or so cheaper than the rumoured SRP of the A33, the Kx is still a good choice for those on a tight budget.
    *Batteries and battery life: AA is cheap and available everywhere, the SLT uses the expensive Nex battery packs and has a poor CIPA rating of 200-300 shots (shocking when I compare this to my A500's rating of 1000+ shots)

To be fair, the Kx was released about a year ago and should not be compared to the latest offering from Sony...
    Kx still has the best JPEG high ISO performance. Very disappointed at the loss of details at high ISO on the A33/A55, as these are very new cameras and could have showcased what the newer generation of sensors can do.
    EVF are a pro and con. Dark places look bright. Brightness on EVF, many not be brightness on actual scene. Something to get used to.

hey .. thanks to all those who responded

i went ahead and bought the pentax k-x from orientphoto in sls...

unfortunately, none of the stores i went to had the oly e-620... and had an interesting experience at cathay photo where the sales person actually turned up her nose when i asked for pentax, and was pushing sony

Quote Originally Posted by hitendra View Post
    hey .. thanks to all those who responded

i went ahead and bought the pentax k-x from orientphoto in sls...
    Great choice ! ...Just do it huh ? ...enjoy your camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12