Thread: D90 Poison Club - TCSS Part I

Default Re: D90 Poison Club - TCSS Part I

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    hmm... 17/50.. ....
    i am using the 17-50, gd!

Blog Entries

cool.. its quite sharp and lighting is acceptable with that kinda of setting..

lolx.. no issue la bro.. good enough for me.. some more u went an extra mile to show me in low lighting..

I should be happy about it not complain.. ^^
    Quite good right? the toki 11-16.

This is one lens i never regretted buying, ever. And I will never sell this lens as long as I use APS-C. Very good lens for the money. I practically bought the D90 back then just so I can buy this lens and use it (I was on D40x before). And since it did not have built in motor, it will not break down for a loooooooooooooonnngg time.

Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    i am using the 17-50, gd!
    lolx.. i'm impress with 11-16 right now =/
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Quite good right? the toki 11-16.

This is one lens i never regretted buying, ever. And I will never sell this lens as long as I use APS-C. Very good lens for the money. I practically bought the D90 back then just so I can buy this lens and use it (I was on D40x before). And since it did not have built in motor, it will not break down for a loooooooooooooonnngg time.
    yap.. its impressive.. o.0 it does haf AF right?
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Blog Entries

lolx.. i'm impress with 11-16 right now =/

yap.. its impressive.. o.0 it does haf AF right?
    With D90 and above, yes. It uses a screw-driven AF. So the AF motor in the camera body will drive it. So it is like an AF-D lens. Without in-built motor, one more less electronic to break.

That is why I love to get AF-D lenses.

Only my 55-200VR and tamron 17-50 has in-lens AF motor.

AF-D and AiS stuff just last longer.

With D90 and above, yes. It uses a screw-driven AF. So the AF motor in the camera body will drive it. So it is like an AF-D lens. Without in-built motor, one more less electronic to break.

That is why I love to get AF-D lenses.

Only my 55-200VR and tamron 17-50 has in-lens AF motor.

AF-D and AiS stuff just last longer.
    hmm.. cool.. any idea wad is the desire price for it nw?
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Blog Entries

hmm.. cool.. any idea wad is the desire price for it nw?
    Should be around $930-980. If you can buy from HK, should be around 800+.

Should be around $930-980. If you can buy from HK, should be around 800+.
    lolx.. suay.. I'm going Taiwan not Hong Kong.. =_=!!

I think I must see if I can divert a bit go Hong Kong from Taiwan to take a look..

Blog Entries

lolx.. suay.. I'm going Taiwan not Hong Kong.. =_=!!

I think I must see if I can divert a bit go Hong Kong from Taiwan to take a look..
    Go online and check pricing in Taiwan loh. I think there also not too ex la.

Go online and check pricing in Taiwan loh. I think there also not too ex la.
    hmm.. ok.. Tonight I go home then can check.
    Hopefully the price wun differ a lot..

haha. guys! i'm getting my ND110 tmr!
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles88 View Post
    Congra!!

Blog Entries

Seems the BBB virus is alive and very strong...

You cannot resist the power of the dark side~~~!

hey bros. If im going shanghai any suggestions for places that sell cheaper camera accesories/lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles88 View Post
    remember to take precaution on the step up ring

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    hey bros. If im going shanghai any suggestions for places that sell cheaper camera accesories/lens?
    The 2 biggest camera malls are:

星光摄影器材城 (Starlight (Xing Guang) Camera Equipment Mall)
    鲁班路288号(近斜土路) (No.288, LuBan Road, near XieTu Road)
    Either take a cab there.
    Or take the subway to Line 4, LuBan Road station (地铁4号线,鲁班路站). When at the station, Take number 1 exit. Once you come out of the station, you will be at a junction, turn left, and walk around 300m to the next junction. You will see the mall across the street.
    Floor 1 are camera stores (bodies and lenses), Floor 2 are mostly accessories, Floor 3 is 2nd hand market, Floor 4 is studio flash and flash/studio accessories. I never went up to Floor 5.
    This is what the building look like.

and

环龙照相器材城 (Huan Long Camera equipment mall)
    秣陵路3号 上海火车站对面 (across the street from Shanghai Railway station)
    Take metro line 1 alight at Shanghai Railway station stop (地铁一号线,上海火车站)
    Orient Photo's HQ is in HuanLong and it is quite big there. You can ask any one in OP in SimLimSq for the exact unit number in the mall. I think they are in 3rd floor.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st September 2010 at 07:26 AM.

The 2 biggest camera malls are:

星光摄影器材城 (Starlight (Xing Guang) Camera Equipment Mall)
    鲁班路288号(近斜土路) (No.288, LuBan Road, near XieTu Road)
    Either take a cab there.
    Or take the subway to Line 4, LuBan Road station (地铁4号线,鲁班路站). When at the station, Take number 1 exit. Once you come out of the station, you will be at a junction, turn left, and walk around 300m to the next junction. You will see the mall across the street.
    Floor 1 are camera stores (bodies and lenses), Floor 2 are mostly accessories, Floor 3 is 2nd hand market, Floor 4 is studio flash and flash/studio accessories. I never went up to Floor 5.
    This is what the building look like.

and

环龙照相器材城 (Huan Long Camera equipment mall)
    秣陵路3号 上海火车站对面 (across the street from Shanghai Railway station)
    Take metro line 1 alight at Shanghai Railway station stop (地铁一号线,上海火车站)
    Orient Photo's HQ is in HuanLong and it is quite big there. You can ask any one in OP in SimLimSq for the exact unit number in the mall. I think they are in 3rd floor.

Thanks a lot bro. for the 2nd hand market, any special precautions to take note of? Are the prices there a lot cheaper? Was wondering if i can view the prices there online to compare with prices here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    Thanks a lot bro. for the 2nd hand market, any special precautions to take note of? Are the prices there a lot cheaper? Was wondering if i can view the prices there online to compare with prices here
    For any 2nd hand market, you need to know the pricing yourself. And need to know how to bargin.

Anyway, the things there are not like BnS here. They sell really old stuff. Very good but for you not very applicable. Like hasselblads, medium format, large format, classic film bodies, Rollei, Leica film cameras and lenses, Ais lenses. FD mount lenses... etc.. More classic stuff.

For any 2nd hand market, you need to know the pricing yourself. And need to know how to bargin.

Anyway, the things there are not like BnS here. They sell really old stuff. Very good but for you not very applicable. Like hasselblads, medium format, large format, classic film bodies, Rollei, Leica film cameras and lenses, Ais lenses. FD mount lenses... etc.. More classic stuff.
    oooo.I was expecting something like our BnS

Good morning everyone,

After reading so many pages and do some homework, I am confuse by this 2 lenses. Need help pls advise.

1) Nikon 10-24mm
    2) Tokina 11-16mm

The main consideration are the sharpness and the distortions. (If price is not the main issue)
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    Good morning everyone,

After reading so many pages and do some homework, I am confuse by this 2 lenses. Need help pls advise.

1) Nikon 10-24mm
    2) Tokina 11-16mm

The main consideration are the sharpness and the distortions. (If price is not the main issue)
    Distortion will be there for UWA. thing is you need to see if the distortion is complex or simple.

To read reviews on sharpness (MTF) and overal review conclusions. Best is to look at photozone reviews.

Nikon 10-24 Photozone review.

MTF (resolution) AKA Sharpness
    The lens produced excellent center resolution figures in the lab and shows very good to excellent borders at all focal lengths, an impressive performance. At the extreme corners things are a little different though. While very good at the longer focal lengths (with the exception of 18 mm wide open), the corner resolution at 10 mm is very poor wide open and the lens needs to be stopped down to f/8 to reach good resolution figures (but only just "good").

Distortion
    10 mm is a rather extreme focal length and some barrel distortion is to be expected here. However, at 3.1% the Nikkor shows a fairly large amount of it, certainly more than the competition. The good news is that at longer focal lengths distortions are very well controlled at around or slightly above 0.5%, switching from barrel to pincushion distortion between 14 and 18 mm.

Tokina 11-16 Photozone review (tested on canon APS-C)

MTF (resolution) AKA Sharpness
    The resolution figures of the Tokina are highly impressive and the best that we've seen in this class (within the Canon scope). The lens did not show a single significant weakness throughout the range. The center resolution is excellent, even outstanding towards the long end, and the borders are easily on a very good level at large apertures and excellent around the sweet spot at f/5.6. The extreme corners are not much worse. This may show that a short zoom range can be actually very desirable when it comes to quality.

Distortion
    Surprisingly Tokina managed to keep the level of distortions quite well under control. At 11mm there're still fairly pronounced barrel distortions (2.1%) but this is still comparatively low for such a lens. The problem decreases when zooming out towards the long end - at 14mm the barrel distortions are hardly objectionable anymore (1%) and they're almost negligible at 16mm (0.5%).

On a personal level... I find the Tokina 116 very very sharp and you get F2.8. You only need to stop down to F5.6 for the sweet spot at 11mm. For Nikon the sweet spot at 10mm is F8. But with the nikon you have a much bigger range of focal length.

You might also want to take a look at Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX HSM. The test results are quite good. Just that the distortions at 10mm is a little complex but still very manageable. Sharpness is definitely better than the Nikon at 10mm, but it loses to Nikon in Vignetting at 10mm. But you should know the Sigma is a lot cheaper than the Nikon. Not a shabby lens, as seen by the excellent results shown by our very own award winning landscape expert Night86mare. He uses the Sigma 10-20 on his Pentax APS-C camera.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st September 2010 at 11:24 AM.