Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718212641 ... LastLast

Thread: D90 Poison Club - TCSS Part I

Default Re: D90 Poison Club - TCSS Part I

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    That was my initial headache when I was choosing between 10-24 and 11-16 dude, both got their pros and cons. You can't have your cake and it eat - so you have to consider everything. You say indoor shots are important for you, one question - how often would you go to concerts? 10 times a year or just 1/2/3 times, versus how often would you do landscape shoots? Forever or short term? When you get married and settle down, would you still go to concerts? Would you still go out at night very often? Questions questions.

After much deliberations, I started to know my answers clearly, hence I went for 10-24mm... Why not Nikon 12-24 you say? Well, distortion bothers me, and at 12mm (12-24) the distortion is the worst... whereas for 10-24, 10mm is the worst until you bring it down/up to 12mm or so... Therefore, you can say that 10-24 kinda help cover the distortion problems in 12-24mm... f4? Well, since I already know I don't do indoors that much (in the long term) as compared to outdoors, the answer is pretty obvious for me...

ya.. its kinda of hard to decide.. not just concert.. family gathering, party all these.. I need to use a UWA because of space constrain.. but I haf not been able to test my flash with the lens yet.. so its kinda of bothering me about the effect if I were to start using flash if it was to be shot in door. I shoot normally using the 2nd curtain.. Kit lens outcome was fine for me. But then most of the time space constrain is a bother to me cause my kit lens cannot work in a space constrain space especially like homes where Sengkang those kinda of housing.. its just simply too tight for me to take using kit lens when we have furniture all these..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    ya.. its kinda of hard to decide.. not just concert.. family gathering, party all these.. I need to use a UWA because of space constrain.. but I haf not been able to test my flash with the lens yet.. so its kinda of bothering me about the effect if I were to start using flash if it was to be shot in door. I shoot normally using the 2nd curtain.. Kit lens outcome was fine for me. But then most of the time space constrain is a bother to me cause my kit lens cannot work in a space constrain space especially like homes where Sengkang those kinda of housing.. its just simply too tight for me to take using kit lens when we have furniture all these..
    Agreed, unless you don't mind the perspective distortions (not the barrel or pin-cushion type), 11-16 should work fine.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Agreed, unless you don't mind the perspective distortions (not the barrel or pin-cushion type), 11-16 should work fine.
    lolx.. good question.. I duno how it will look like for a human.. =/
    I only know how it look like for a building not human..

35mm not possible to take group photo..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

lolx.. good question.. I duno how it will look like for a human.. =/
    I only know how it look like for a building not human..

35mm not possible to take group photo..
    35mm can lah, you never say how big the group is!

16mm to 24mm is a big 8mm difference dude... at 24mm I already think it is quite wide already. Don't forget some peeps used 20mm for landscapes... that wide okay?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st August 2010 at 03:52 PM.

35mm can lah, you never say how big the group is!

16mm to 24mm is a big 8mm difference dude... at 24mm I already think it is quite wide already. Don't forget some peeps used 20mm for landscapes... that wide okay?
    lolx.. average 12 - 21 if family gathering as of now if i dun include all those below 2 years old as they dun need a space in between..
    friends gathering usually about 12+/- range. 35mm I never try before so not very sure what is the max it can cover.. if let's say all quite big size.. 1 row how many people? Those who have the lens can give me a rough estimation..

lolx.. average 12 - 21 if family gathering as of now if i dun include all those below 2 years old as they dun need a space in between..
    friends gathering usually about 12+/- range. 35mm I never try before so not very sure what is the max it can cover.. if let's say all quite big size.. 1 row how many people? Those who have the lens can give me a rough estimation..
    Make more rows lah, front row lie down, second squat / sit on floor. Third row sit on chair (older folks), last row stand... last last row for super tall ones... cannot meh? dun just use two rows lah... Make more rows, surely can one! 20 divided by 5... you only need 4 rows, each row 5 peeps... Or 5 rows, 4 peeps in each row... cannot meh? All of you super big size isit? Hmmm... dun tell me your living room very narrow - how about width/length wise?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st August 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Make more rows lah, front row lie down, second squat / sit on floor. Third row sit on chair (older folks), last row stand... last last row for super tall ones... cannot meh? dun just use two rows lah... Make more rows, surely can one! 20 divided by 5... you only need 4 rows, each row 5 peeps... Or 5 rows, 4 peeps in each row... cannot meh? All of you super big size isit? Hmmm... dun tell me your living room very narrow - how about width/length wise?
    got some issue.. most of uncles or aunties de house is.. rectangle kind de.. the width is like the most.. 4 seater the big sofa length..

got some issue.. most of uncles or aunties de house is.. rectangle kind de.. the width is like the most.. 4 seater the big sofa length..
    phew... that is wow... small... What kit lens do you have now?

Blog Entries

Aiyoh... I don't know why all the worries about zoom range.

In the end, you have to think what other lenses you are going to have also. Having a 17-50/2.8, 11-16/2.8 completes the wide to normal coverage for me. When I bring out the 11-16 to shoot, I will usually only shoot wide. When I know I want to shoot more people, i will just put on the 17-50. 17mm is already wide enough. Both lenses can shoot portrait well if you know how to control the lens.

shot with 11-16

Thanks for your sappork! Dunno will actually cover the F1 event or not. But keen to hear what the experts have to say before going too deep with it. Since the opportunity is there, why not just sit in and listen? - I asked myself.

Well, I think before I move on to FF then will I look at FF lenses... at the moment, I'm too preoccupied with my DX lens to think about anything else - compositions, to filter or not, etc... 14-24 & 17-35 have been on my sights before, but prefer getting second hand than first (just a thought), but at the moment not so hot on them since my 10-24 is already on a 15-36mm FOV (equivalent on FF that is). Aiyah, take your time lah...no rush!
    no worries bro, arm ya self with the 300 2.8 or the 70-200 with a monopod, start to up ya panning skills and ya done, hehehhehe......

yup no rush for me.... i only started to like landscapes just recently, due to seeing dd123 and nunumball pics, so so orgasmic(hahahahhaha)
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

In the end, you have to think what other lenses you are going to have also. Having a 17-50/2.8, 11-16/2.8 completes the wide to normal coverage for me. When I bring out the 11-16 to shoot, I will usually only shoot wide. When I know I want to shoot more people, i will just put on the 17-50. 17mm is already wide enough. Both lenses can shoot portrait well if you know how to control the lens.

shot with 11-16
    That one at 11 or at 16? And how far are you standing, pretty close right?

Edit: oh ya, you said wide... okay!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st August 2010 at 04:30 PM.

phew... that is wow... small... What kit lens do you have now?
    lolx.. 18-105mm. with that kind of space.. its hard to shoot family photo leh.. I put all the way to e wall liao still cannot..

shot with 11-16
    hmm... 17/50.. ....

lolx.. 18-105mm. with that kind of space.. its hard to shoot family photo leh.. I put all the way to e wall liao still cannot..

hmm... 17/50.. ....
    In that case, go for 11-16mm then, since what DD123 shows pretty okay even wide open

Blog Entries

That one at 11 or at 16? And how far are you standing, pretty close right?

Edit: oh ya, you said wide... okay!
    16mm F2.8. Yes quite close.

THink about it, kit lens is only 2mm more mah. If using 17-50, it is only 1mm more. BTW, the slight vignetting is not from the lens. I added it in for effect... ;P
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st August 2010 at 04:36 PM.

In that case, go for 11-16mm then, since what DD123 shows pretty okay even wide open
    it seem ok to me.. lolx.. juz a little vignetting..

Blog Entries

it seem ok to me.. lolx.. juz a little vignetting..
    I added the vignette in bro.. in PP, for more effect. There was no vignetting at all.

I added the vignette in bro.. in PP, for more effect. There was no vignetting at all.
    lolx.. no wonder.. hahha.. psps..
    i didn't think of PP when i saw that photo.. =/

lolx.. no wonder.. hahha.. psps..
    i didn't think of PP when i saw that photo.. =/
    Unless DD123 uses a square hood, there shouldn't be a square form of vignetting... you should see curvatures...

Blog Entries

Ok... uploaded a test shot taken with the 11-16 @ F2.8. Large size. No adjustments, only resize. jpeg straight from cam.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/...65881362_o.jpg

Shot in relatively low light. ISO 1400, shutter speed 1/30s, F2.8, focal length 11mm, NR on cam set to low.

Remember this is shot at F2.8 with focus point at the speaker on top of the TV. You cannot expect everything in the frame to be sharp.

BTW... paiseh to show my home...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st August 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Ok... uploaded a test shot taken with the 11-16 @ F2.8. Large size. No adjustments, only resize. jpeg straight from cam.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/...65881362_o.jpg

Shot in relatively low light. ISO 1400, shutter speed 1/30s, F2.8, focal length 11mm, NR on cam set to low.
    cool.. its quite sharp and lighting is acceptable with that kinda of setting..

lolx.. no issue la bro.. good enough for me.. some more u went an extra mile to show me in low lighting..

I should be happy about it not complain.. ^^
    Last edited by skylover; 31st August 2010 at 04:51 PM.