Default Re: D90 Poison Club - TCSS Part I

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I will tks!
    You guys should meet up whilst I'm away
    Have fun bro!

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    wad time u went there?
    U mean NATAS?? I am there in the afternoon. Book 3 oversea trip. 1 short trip, 1 medium trip and 1 long trip. Now got alot of BAGS at home.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    My choice would be the first two. 10-24 should be okay if you generally shoot naturescape... check the review on dpreview, the distortion is across the entire focal range... would be quite crazy if you shoot cityscapes - imaging curvy vertical building lines. My two cents of course. It'd also depends on the shooting angle to avoid such issues.

Of the above two, Sigma 10-20 has better distortion control - most severe barrel at the wide open (as expected). Great for both naturescape and cityscape. But will loose out on indoor-scape (moving people will be blurred unless you use high ISO).

Tokina, has distortion across the board as well, but best for indoor-scapes (among the 3) due to larger aperture at f/2.8 - sharp lens overall. This lens is best for naturescape and indoorscape. Cityscape will depend on angle.

Boils down to your shooting style, subject preference, and the need learn to live with the lens' short-comings. No one lens is perfect. Just as my UWA would suck at indoors, due to the aperture. However, my priority lies with nature and cityscapes, hence my choice. Indoor wise, I'd have to rely on high ISO or take out the Big Stopper (once I have it) to remove the fidgety peeps... lol

If you have $$ to spend, BBB Tokina and Sigma. As both will offset each other's weakness - compliment each other... lolz
    wow bro, thanks for yr advice. I will be getting my tokina 11-16mm. Looking closing in the B&S.

I will tks!
    You guys should meet up whilst I'm away
    Will miss u... Enjoy yrself... Take care bro.
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Since this is a poison session, here i come..

AFD 50mm f1.2 - (B&S Selling 410)
    AFS 50mm f1.2 - BEST, got autofocus...hehe (B&S selling 750)
    AFS 35mm f1.8 - Good for D90

Quickly go and BBB.

If still got $$$ buy the 500mm lens (hahaha)

All the lens i am not buying, i am looking for UWA lens.
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    Since this is a poison session, here i come..

AFD 50mm f1.2 - (B&S Selling 410)
    AFS 50mm f1.2 - BEST, got autofocus...hehe (B&S selling 750)
    AFS 35mm f1.8 - Good for D90

Quickly go and BBB.

If still got $$$ buy the 500mm lens (hahaha)

All the lens i am not buying, i am looking for UWA lens.
    U sure or not its 1.2 or 1.4....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Though I prefer the build quality, I've recently been proven wrong about the Tammy's IQ. Quite impressive
    The distortions they "complain" about aren't really a big deal for us hobbyists
    Yes, those are reasons why i went for the Tammy. I don't put much stock on reviews for several reasons, mainly because there may be variations to each batch of lenses produced. Third party production lines are not known for their consistency, especially the Sigmas with their back and forward focussing issues. Furthermore, earlier batches may be tweaked accordingt to exactly those reviews that come out. Hence, we see those threads that say the later batches of 50mm f1.4 sigma lenses are "outstanding performers" etc. As for distortions, so far i find it very hard to see (can it be spotted from the pictures i put up?) and easy to correct in PP when it does surface.

In the end, must go to the shop and do your own testing. Lemons exist in every batch so don't get caught. I went to the shop to get the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 actually, but upon testing, the Sigma there had very poor corner sharpness wide open but the Tammy was very good and it was $300 cheaper. So a no-brainer for me.
    Vision is more important than gear

Produced by Tammy

More poisoning.
    Vision is more important than gear

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    U sure or not its 1.2 or 1.4....
    Wow, Nikon sneaked up a AF-S 50mm f/1.2 without letting us know? How can??

Give winkoo88 a break, laddie... I'm sure he was just paying attention to UWAs.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaz1 View Post
    Yes, those are reasons why i went for the Tammy. I don't put much stock on reviews for several reasons, mainly because there may be variations to each batch of lenses produced. Third party production lines are not known for their consistency, especially the Sigmas with their back and forward focussing issues. Furthermore, earlier batches may be tweaked accordingt to exactly those reviews that come out. Hence, we see those threads that say the later batches of 50mm f1.4 sigma lenses are "outstanding performers" etc. As for distortions, so far i find it very hard to see (can it be spotted from the pictures i put up?) and easy to correct in PP when it does surface.

In the end, must go to the shop and do your own testing. Lemons exist in every batch so don't get caught. I went to the shop to get the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 actually, but upon testing, the Sigma there had very poor corner sharpness wide open but the Tammy was very good and it was $300 cheaper. So a no-brainer for me.
    Urm... not that I've seen any true cityscape images (as in all tall towers) from the Tammy lens - so I can't really say. But alright, I will shut up about my opinions for now. Better that the buyers themselves consider hard for themselves about which lenses they want without undue influences from me.

Distortions while maybe overkill for hobbyists like us, I'll have no doubt some will still take that issue seriously. Me for instance, I can't stand the distortions I have on the widest angles (10-12) from my lens, hence I'd use that focal length sparingly... but not without checking with the LCD screen first. If it looks okay or forgivable, I'll let the image pass. If not, I'll reshoot from another angle or try focusing closer. Each to his/her own I suppose, I'm sure that there is a little perfectionist demon sitting the shoulders of each and everyone of us, be it for distortions, colours, or other elements in photography.

Anyway, given that (like you've said) third party lenses might have inconsistency issues (some good, some lemons), I shall hence forth be tight lipped about my own two-cents relating to lenses. (I hear you, ZCA - have a good and fruitful trip)

Wa all poisoning here so early in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    Wa all poisoning here so early in the morning?
    It is the beginning of the week, so it's 5.30am for me unless it's a public holiday...

Urm... not that I've seen any true cityscape images (as in all tall towers) from the Tammy lens - so I can't really say. But alright, I will shut up about my opinions for now. Better that the buyers themselves consider hard for themselves about which lenses they want without undue influences from me.

Distortions while maybe overkill for hobbyists like us, I'll have no doubt some will still take that issue seriously. Me for instance, I can't stand the distortions I have on the widest angles (10-12) from my lens, hence I'd use that focal length sparingly... but not without checking with the LCD screen first. If it looks okay or forgivable, I'll let the image pass. If not, I'll reshoot from another angle or try focusing closer. Each to his/her own I suppose, I'm sure that there is a little perfectionist demon sitting the shoulders of each and everyone of us, be it for distortions, colours, or other elements in photography.

Anyway, given that (like you've said) third party lenses might have inconsistency issues (some good, some lemons), I shall hence forth be tight lipped about my own two-cents relating to lenses. (I hear you, ZCA - have a good and fruitful trip)
    Kriegs... I didn't mean to put you down regarding your reviews
    So sorry if it came across that way.

That day type on iPod touch. Screen too small. Only can see a bit of the text. Very hard to compose properly thought-out sentences
    Maybe I need to get iPad in Germany
    Exploring! :)

It is the beginning of the week, so it's 5.30am for me unless it's a public holiday...
    You wake up so early??

Kriegs... I didn't mean to put you down regarding your reviews
    So sorry if it came across that way.

That day type on iPod touch. Screen too small. Only can see a bit of the text. Very hard to compose properly thought-out sentences
    Maybe I need to get iPad in Germany
    You wake up so early??
    No worries lah, it dawned on me that maybe there are too many factors involved that I shouldn't just shoot off like that - that there are no hard truths to everything.

iPad... I still don't know how it works... Screen interface not as intuitive as I've thought to be...

Yeah, it's always 5.30... You'll understand when you have a kid of your own one day...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 30th August 2010 at 07:38 AM.

wa 5.30 is really early. Its army wake up timing!

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    wa 5.30 is really early. Its army wake up timing!
    Well...it's 5.30 for me since 2008 and will probably last until...urm... 2015 to 2018.... (maybe)

Blog Entries

No worries lah, it dawned on me that maybe there are too many factors involved that I shouldn't just shoot off like that - that there are no hard truths to everything.

iPad... I still don't know how it works... Screen interface not as intuitive as I've thought to be...

Yeah, it's always 5.30... You'll understand when you have a kid of your own one day...
    Bro relac la. no one here will get offended with your remarks on lenses. I think it is actually helpful to newbies. More information for them.

A lot of the distortions can be easily removed nowadays actually with one click of the button. Most of the newer PP software comes with this feature.

More often than not, the problem will be perspective distortion and keystone, that we need to correct.

hehehehe ok cool... luckily no misunderstanding...

iPad seems like a big ipod touch! But it looks funky and all, and is nice for showing pics to friends/relatives. Other than that, to me it seems kinda limited.

hahahaha Maybe Daddy DD123 can become permanent sunchaser in a few years with the 5:30am starts! I'm still struggling with 645am

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    U mean NATAS?? I am there in the afternoon. Book 3 oversea trip. 1 short trip, 1 medium trip and 1 long trip. Now got alot of BAGS at home.

wow bro, thanks for yr advice. I will be getting my tokina 11-16mm. Looking closing in the B&S.

Will miss u... Enjoy yrself... Take care bro.
    I was there in the afternnon too with my gf looking at package but it didn't interest us..

hey hey.. your comments and opinion is very informative.. I'm sure everybody does not mind about it at all. maybe some might have different views but there's no right or wrong about each and every one of our opinion. Its a sharing thread after all. We all share what we know and correct each other mistakes. That is how all of us going to learn. Nobody is perfect in any sense but we can strive to be better by learning from each other.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Bro, review is individual fact findings or research. Writing what you feel or found is not wrong, it is still very much on the individual when making decision. Anyway, I am already thinking about a UWA lens, still thinking whether to get it before I fly in October haha. 1 month to ponder about should I or should I not.
    D90, 18-105mm f/ 3.5-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

dun think so much! just buy!

UWA is a must, hor...? Quick... someone support me!
    Now is just a question of which one.
    Each has a strong point I believe.
    Some cheaper, some lighter, some have more range, some (according to reviews) have better IQ and less distortion, etc. Pick your poison!

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 271011121314172237 ... LastLast