Thread: Inquiry Singapore Trip

Default Inquiry Singapore Trip

Hello ClubSnap!

I'm heading to Singapore this coming Aug 30 - Sept 2 for a photo trip. I am a landscape/cityscape photographer. Anyways I have several questions I hope you don't mind answering, I need to plan my time frame

1) I got from weather yahoo that sunset is at 7:10PM my question - approximately how long does it usually take for the sky to go completely black upon sunset there?

2) Train - Is the train station in Changi Airport already operational?

3) Train - What time does the first train (morning) and last train (night) depart?

4) Train - From Toa Payoh Station how long is the travel time to Marina Bay Sands? (I'm staying in a hotel near Toa Payoh)

5) Train - How long from Changi Airport to Toa Payoh?

6) Weather (this week) - Sunny or Rainy? If rain (what time does it usually pour)

Sorry if my questions are a little bit newbie, it's my photographer dilemma everytime I go abroad

Default Re: Inquiry Singapore Trip

Quote Originally Posted by gaisano View Post
    Hello ClubSnap!

I'm heading to Singapore this coming Aug 30 - Sept 2 for a photo trip. I am a landscape/cityscape photographer. Anyways I have several questions I hope you don't mind answering, I need to plan my time frame

1) I got from weather yahoo that sunset is at 7:10PM my question - approximately how long does it usually take for the sky to go completely black upon sunset there?

3) Train - What time does the first train (morning) and last train (night) depart?
    I shall answer both question together. Yes. It is operational from 5.50AM till 11.30PM during your stay in SG.

4) Train - From Toa Payoh Station how long is the travel time to Marina Bay Sands? (I'm staying in a hotel near Toa Payoh)
    I assume you will be staying near the Toa Payoh MRT station. It should not take you more than 30mins to reach City Hall MRT Station [Assuming its off peak hours]. An another 15 - 20mins for you to find your way to Marina Bay Sands as it takes about 10 - 15mins to walk over.

You need at least 3 transfer.
    My advise is to take from Changi Airport Mrt Station and transfer at Tanah Merah Mrt Station. (10mins +/-)
    Tanah Merah Mrt Station to Paya Lebar Mrt Station(20mins + / -)
    Make a transfer here to Circle Line which will take you right to Bishan Mrt Station(15Mins+/-)
    From Bishan Mrt Station change train 2 stop to Toa Payoh Mrt Station (5Mins+/-)
    Total trip the fastest you can get it less than an hour.

6) Weather (this week) - Sunny or Rainy? If rain (what time does it usually pour)
    This question is kinda of hard of answer you. We are not able to control the sky. Recently the weather is kinda of hot and humid so if you plan to go out shopping in the afternoon. Wear something light. ^^ Hope I have answer your question

Sorry if my questions are a little bit newbie, it's my photographer dilemma everytime I go abroad
    Hi first and foremost on behalf on All Singaporean & CSers. I welcome you to Singapore this coming Aug 30 - Sept 2. I hope you get to enjoy as many things as you can during your short stay in Singapore.
    Last edited by skylover; 26th August 2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

1) perhaps around 720?
    2) yes, for years
    3) you can get answer here: http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/train_timings.asp
    4) and 5) answer from www.smrt.com.sg a rule of thumb: 30mins point A to B in general for Singapore, most of time correct.
    6) rain time? sorry no time table for rain!

Train ride: please get a store value card from Station. Much convenient. Instead of buying ticket for each ride.
    Taxi ride: Singapore taxi is VERY CHEAP. Flag down price: <US$2. Avoid luxury taxi [Black color].

Have fun and welcome to singapore.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    Hi first and foremost on behalf on All Singaporean & CSers. I welcome you to Singapore this coming Aug 30 - Sept 2. I hope you get to enjoy as many things as you can during your short stay in Singapore.
    Hi thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it, now I have idea how long train rides!

Quote Originally Posted by tigereye19 View Post
    1) perhaps around 720?
    2) yes, for years
    3) you can get answer here: http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/train_timings.asp
    4) and 5) answer from www.smrt.com.sg a rule of thumb: 30mins point A to B in general for Singapore, most of time correct.
    6) rain time? sorry no time table for rain!

Train ride: please get a store value card from Station. Much convenient. Instead of buying ticket for each ride.
    Taxi ride: Singapore taxi is VERY CHEAP. Flag down price: <US$2. Avoid luxury taxi [Black color].

Have fun and welcome to singapore.

Cheers
    I'm hoping there won't be rain during my visit I will ask for the store value card, that's a good suggestion Thanks for the information

Hello ClubSnap!

Will help to answer #1 since the rest have been answered

#1, it will be completely dark from 8.15pm to 8.45pm range, depending on the location you are at.

For transportation wise, as i am not sure how much you will be travelling.
    you can also take a look at this option, http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com/html/index.htm

An excerpt from the website
    <<
    Enjoy unlimited train and bus rides with a pass at only $8 a day. With the Rent-A-Card scheme, you do not need to purchase an ez-link card. Just be sure to return the card within 5 days and enjoy the use of the card absolutely free!

On top of exclusive promotional offers and benefits at various retailers and F&B outlets, the Tourist Pass comes packed with all you need to know to help you start savouring popular attractions and hidden local treasures.
    >>

Last but not least, welcome and enjoy your stay in Singapore
    Last edited by zelot; 26th August 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post

#1, it will be completely dark from 8.15pm to 8.45pm range, depending on the location you are at.

Oh great to hear that the blue hour's gonna last that long. Thanks so much!

Oh great to hear that the blue hour's gonna last that long. Thanks so much!
    Just saw a typo in my statement.

it's 'by' and not 'from'

I have updated my prev post w.r.t. the touristpass for local public transportation travel

Welcome to Singapore!

Enjoy yourself.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Greetings!

Wish to extend to you a big welcome to Singapore.

Sometimes as late as 7.50pm.

Yes it is already operational, and for some years now

I am not too sure, but usually the last train is different for each station. Do check with the station that you know you will be taking the last train from.

As you'd have to walk from the Promenade MRT station to MBS, by foot can be about 10 mins. By train from Toa Payoh MRT to Promenade MRT including changing platform at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, 25 minutes to 35 minutes.

Including time it stops at each station, and the time for you to change platform at City Hall MRT, it maybe close to 50 mins to 1 hour.

This week is mostly sunny, but as you know this is the tropics, do have an umbrella/rain coat as part of your gear.

Hope this helps you with your planning If you do touch down in Singapore, maybe we can meet up and do some shooting together! Do PM me!

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Kamustaka! Welcome to SGP.

Hotel near Toa Payoh? hmmm, are you referring to hotels along Balastier Road? Then you can consider either Novena Station or Toa Payoh Station.

If you are shopping, do be aware that there could be tourist traps in some shopping centers. Please buy your camera equipment from reputable shops, you could check elsewhere in this forum, which are the better ones.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 27th August 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Curious name for a Clubsnap ID. Coz that's the name of a popular shopping mall cum owner in the Visayas and Mindanao regions of the Philippines.

Anyway, advanced welcome to Singapore, Kabayan.

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Welcome to Singapore!

Enjoy yourself.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post

For transportation wise, as i am not sure how much you will be travelling.
    you can also take a look at this option, http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com/html/index.htm

An excerpt from the website
    <<
    Enjoy unlimited train and bus rides with a pass at only $8 a day. With the Rent-A-Card scheme, you do not need to purchase an ez-link card. Just be sure to return the card within 5 days and enjoy the use of the card absolutely free!

On top of exclusive promotional offers and benefits at various retailers and F&B outlets, the Tourist Pass comes packed with all you need to know to help you start savouring popular attractions and hidden local treasures.
    >>

Hey I think I can consider this unlimited ride. Will check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Kamustaka! Welcome to SGP.

Hotel near Toa Payoh? hmmm, are you referring to hotels along Balastier Road? Then you can consider either Novena Station or Toa Payoh Station.

If you are shopping, do be aware that there could be tourist traps in some shopping centers. Please buy your camera equipment from reputable shops, you could check elsewhere in this forum, which are the better ones.
    Yes, just some value hotel around the area. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Greetings!

Wish to extend to you a big welcome to Singapore.

Sometimes as late as 7.50pm.

Yes it is already operational, and for some years now

I am not too sure, but usually the last train is different for each station. Do check with the station that you know you will be taking the last train from.

As you'd have to walk from the Promenade MRT station to MBS, by foot can be about 10 mins. By train from Toa Payoh MRT to Promenade MRT including changing platform at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, 25 minutes to 35 minutes.

Including time it stops at each station, and the time for you to change platform at City Hall MRT, it maybe close to 50 mins to 1 hour.

This week is mostly sunny, but as you know this is the tropics, do have an umbrella/rain coat as part of your gear.

Hope this helps you with your planning If you do touch down in Singapore, maybe we can meet up and do some shooting together! Do PM me!

Cheers!
    Thank you so much for the helpful tips. I will PM you my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Curious name for a Clubsnap ID. Coz that's the name of a popular shopping mall cum owner in the Visayas and Mindanao regions of the Philippines.

Anyway, advanced welcome to Singapore, Kabayan.

:Later,
    Yup! it's my surname but those in the Philippines aren't