Thread: 85mm -Prime or Macro

Default 85mm -Prime or Macro

Hi,

Am thinking of getting the above mentioned lens but thinking whether to get a 85mm F1.8 or 85mm Macro (can double as macro lens) to shoot portraits?

Anybody who had the above mentioned lens, pls advise. thanks.

Default Re: 85mm -Prime or Macro

which 85mm macro ? are you referring to nikon's PCE/PC 85mm micro ?

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    which 85mm macro ? are you referring to nikon's PCE/PC 85mm micro ?

ryan
    sorry, i was referring to this

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR

Quote Originally Posted by kelstorm75 View Post
    sorry, i was referring to this

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
    It would be too sharp for portrait (all facial blemishes will be fully revealed). Plus the bokeh will be different since Micro lense has smaller aperture. The bigger the aperture, eg f/2, f/1.4 f/1.8... the creamier the bokeh. I'm speaking from similar experience since I've used my AF-S 60mm for some simple portraiture shoots before.

Edit: lastly, if you're using a crop body, the normal f/1.4 or f/1.8 85mm will not be 85mm...u need to apply 1.5 crop factor. So both lenses do not equal the same focal length on the same body.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 26th August 2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    It would be too sharp for portrait (all facial blemishes will be fully revealed). Plus the bokeh will be different since Micro lense has smaller aperture. The bigger the aperture, eg f/2, f/1.4 f/1.8... the creamier the bokeh. I'm speaking from similar experience since I've used my AF-S 60mm for some simple portraiture shoots before.
    ic, tks for sharing... speed of focusing will be slower for macro i presume?

i oso noticed that Nikon is coming out wif DX 85mm F1.4G. Assuming both is same price (not sure will that happen or not), for a D90 user, which will one recommend, DX 85mm F1.4G or 85mm F1.8D

Quote Originally Posted by kelstorm75 View Post
    ic, tks for sharing... speed of focusing will be slower for macro i presume?

i oso noticed that Nikon is coming out wif DX 85mm F1.4G. Assuming both is same price (not sure will that happen or not), for a D90 user, which will one recommend, DX 85mm F1.4G or 85mm F1.8D
    Are you sure you're seeing correctly?? That is a FF lens, btw.. and price wise - roughly equal to a D700.

Macro? The AF-S 60mm I'm having now is super fast - you don't even know it's focusing when you try shoot something! Not sure about Micro 85mm maybe just as fast (or not)...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Are you sure you're seeing correctly?? That is a FF lens, btw.. and price wise - roughly equal to a D700.
    opps.. i guess i must hv seen wrongly then.. tks anyway, Kriegsketten... at least i know where my wallet league is compared to the price of lens.. wahahha