Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to use ND Filter with moving Trees?

Default Re: How to use ND Filter with moving Trees?

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Sorry, can't help for noticing this thread. Don't mind if you can share what method you're using? Nevermind about too much work, I'm curious what your solution is. Step by step if you can spare the time please.

I have a solution but dunno if they are simply the same as yours. By too much work, do you mean spending a lot of time or a lot of handy work?
    A lot of my workflow comes from studying how night86mare does it, so it's pretty much the same as what he has explained.

An example here of exposure blending is when I a pic without the filter (and a clear boat) and a pic with the filter (all moving objects smoothened). Two layers, and only expose the non-filter layer around the boat area.

We do that with buildings too, which is of course, a lot more work than just a tiny boat (i.e. masking along the outline of all the buildings) and then working on them. Once I was lazy and I used the Select Range function thinking no one would notice but night86mare commented on the halos around it. After that, I went back to painstakingly paint each building again.

With clouds, trees and other non-straight lined objects, it becomes a bit crazy... yes as mentioned, can try to split the top and bottom.

What's your workflow?

This was one of my first attempts at exposure blending

Essentially, it's divided into three parts - expose for sky; expose for sea/ground; expose those rubbish bags.

This was early days before I realize that sky should not be darker than sea

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think it is very natural to see a photo has cloud moving, water flowing and the tree and leaves also have motion blur.

anyway, attaching or removing the filter with care shouldn't move the camera, unless your tripod and camera are not stable. just hang your camera bag to the tripod to add stability.
    Random tip: You don't have to screw the whole filter into the lens thread, just one or two turns is enough to hold the filter in place, easier to remove too.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

Essentially, it's divided into three parts - expose for sky; expose for sea/ground; expose those rubbish bags.

Bro, I realise both photos you attached have vignette...is it due to the ND110? if yes, can it be minimized by stopping down?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    Bro, I realise both photos you attached have vignette...is it due to the ND110? if yes, can it be minimized by stopping down?
    yes, due to nd110.

yes, minimize will reduce for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    Well me only putting in ideas for discussion. Well I saw in some of the threads with ppl stacking the GND to increase the stop but than it will reduce the quality in someway. Plus some of the thread there are ppl suggesting the use of black card to replace GND to reducing the exposure timing so i guess black card is not restricted to night bah. but me only a nood so just opening ideas here for discussion as i nvr try any of those yet.
    relax, we are discussing.

no one is here to put each other down and feel all high and mighty.

just sorting through the technicalities and vocalising my thoughts. i think possibly it *could* be done, but the tediousness and accuracy needed would be astounding. therefore, certainly possible, but highly improbable to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

Wow Thanks Wildcat for the example .

Thanks irphotography for the "Don't screw in the filter too tight" tip as well...

And Nightmare has always been my source of inspiration haha

wow picked up a few tricks here haha
    Last edited by CatByTe; 26th August 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    Well me only putting in ideas for discussion. Well I saw in some of the threads with ppl stacking the GND to increase the stop but than it will reduce the quality in someway. Plus some of the thread there are ppl suggesting the use of black card to replace GND to reducing the exposure timing so i guess black card is not restricted to night bah. but me only a nood so just opening ideas here for discussion as i nvr try any of those yet.
    Black card is only useful if the areas to dodge are clear cut (like a flat horizon midway in the frame).

It is technique that requires a lot of practice. I've seen some people doing it very well, especially the taiwanese.

For photoshop, do you guys use the "magic wand" tool and "feather" function? Magic wand helps you to multi-select similar range of colours (you can control how much you want the band to cover). And then the "feather" function helps to control how soft or hard you want the edges to be when using the magic wand... This might help you get a good clean edge with lesser halos, when you select and delete the unwanted pixels... Will take practice to get it right.

If you already know this, then consider the above just a redundant info.

The above is in response to Wildcat's question to what I do usually. I don't have a clear blow-by-blow work flow of what I do... I prefer to keep it versatile rather than sticking to a particular flow. I'll admit I don't always apply what I already know to my images (as I'm still new to photography, I haven't really discovered what rocks my boat for now), but for work-wise I use the tools very frequently.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 28th August 2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    For photoshop, do you guys use the "magic wand" tool and "feather" function? Magic wand helps you to multi-select similar range of colours (you can control how much you want the band to cover). And then the "feather" function helps to control how soft or hard you want the edges to be when using the magic wand... This might help you get a good clean edge with lesser halos, when you select and delete the unwanted pixels... Will take practice to get it right.

If you already know this, then consider the above just a redundant info.

The above is in response to Wildcat's question to what I do usually. I don't have a clear blow-by-blow work flow of what I do... I prefer to keep it versatile rather than sticking to a particular flow. I'll admit I don't always apply what I already know to my images (as I'm still new to photography, I haven't really discovered what rocks my boat for now), but for work-wise I use the tools very frequently.
    Not for me. I tried the magic wand some time ago back before I manually crop off with eraser/draw tools and couldn't quite get it, and I tried again after and still couldn't get it, even with Refine Edge function so quite loser in this aspect . I have used Colour Range select functions with more success, with low fuzziness and low range (or at least I think they were more successful) otherwise the other function I use is Gradient Tool for masking but nowadays also quite seldom coz I can't manage the straight gradient line most of the time, but again, more success with this than the magic wand function.
    Last edited by wildcat; 28th August 2010 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    relax, we are discussing.

no one is here to put each other down and feel all high and mighty.

just sorting through the technicalities and vocalising my thoughts. i think possibly it *could* be done, but the tediousness and accuracy needed would be astounding. therefore, certainly possible, but highly improbable to succeed.
    Opps, bro I think I am being overly cautious. But than we never know who might coming in and slam me over this...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Black card is only useful if the areas to dodge are clear cut (like a flat horizon midway in the frame).

It is technique that requires a lot of practice. I've seen some people doing it very well, especially the taiwanese.
    Thank U bro BB123 for the explaination.

I also found a blog that explaining the technique, it seems doable but as BB123 places it only if the area is very define.

http://hanjies.blogspot.com/2009/10/...hy-part-i.html
    Last edited by jsprtan; 30th August 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Sounds like u will need some serious wizadry post processing to make the shot.
    But anyhow all the best and hope the result will turn out what u wanted

ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12