Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Looks like a feeble attempt with no substance.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    whatever the case, it's just a competition.

    yes, you paid, but photography is always subjective.

    no, i have not seen the pictures, but i have seen a lot of competitions where the results do not sit well with me.

    but what are we in photography for as hobbyists? the first core reason is to enjoy it. we can't control anyone else, only ourselves.

    so, why dwell on such? move on, try again next time. if you think the competition is a scam, then don't join again, i guess. for example, there are competitions that always have the organiser's own photoclub people winning. the winners list just looks like a few names being shuffled around. but is it important? at the end of the day, we should see accolades/achievements in this aspect as a bonus.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  4. #24

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    I feel that the top 3 pictures must at least be decent. Blur picture to be listed as top 3 is rather a big NO NO.

    Here are my photos.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4703086...7624477946924/
    Have you checked the competition theme ?

    Maybe this is photo competition of animal picture only, no veggie allowed
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  5. #25
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    whatever the case, it's just a competition.

    yes, you paid, but photography is always subjective.

    no, i have not seen the pictures, but i have seen a lot of competitions where the results do not sit well with me.

    but what are we in photography for as hobbyists? the first core reason is to enjoy it. we can't control anyone else, only ourselves.

    so, why dwell on such? move on, try again next time. if you think the competition is a scam, then don't join again, i guess. for example, there are competitions that always have the organiser's own photoclub people winning. the winners list just looks like a few names being shuffled around. but is it important? at the end of the day, we should see accolades/achievements in this aspect as a bonus.
    yep. its subjective. just get over it bah. i mean who knows? the judge could be a deprived otaku hiding behind the laptop and u also dunno wad.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    Recently I participated in a photography competition organised by Greenlight. The theme was "Happiness in nature" and I paid 10 bucks for it.

    Just now, I received the results from them and I was in total dismay. The so called top 3 pictures lack contrast and worse one of the pictures is blurred. Goodness.


    I have the feeling I was scammed.

    Here's the link.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/11425993...PL5tf3RoefrIQ#
    My usual thoughts are such contests are subjective and the chosen entries might not often agree with us, especially if we ourselves take part in them.

    However, as an outsider, I would say

    1) Technically, your photo is better than the "selected winners"

    2) Compositionally, your photo is better than the "selected winners"

    3) The theme of the competition is rather vague or flexible, depending on how you look at it. Its quite hard to deviate from it, and I think your photos do fit the theme.

    Well, you would have beaten the "selected winners" if I were the judge.

    Anyway, what I'm more interested in is another point you brought up.

    Are there any regulations on the organising of such competitions?

    Hypothetically, can one easily create a website and attract entries with submission fees, and then select "bogus winners"?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    honestly... the theme is "Happiness in Nature"... you should at least capture a subject's moment of happiness in nature; e.g., kids running around in the forest. to me, the picture of the forest itself without anything doesn't really capture the essence of the theme. there's no subject attraction in the picture.

    i can go on (on the other pictures), but i think you know where i'm coming from. just my thoughts lah...
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    My usual thoughts are such contests are subjective and the chosen entries might not often agree with us, especially if we ourselves take part in them.

    However, as an outsider, I would say

    1) Technically, your photo is better than the "selected winners"

    2) Compositionally, your photo is better than the "selected winners"

    3) The theme of the competition is rather vague or flexible, depending on how you look at it. Its quite hard to deviate from it, and I think your photos do fit the theme.

    Well, you would have beaten the "selected winners" if I were the judge.

    Anyway, what I'm more interested in is another point you brought up.

    Are there any regulations on the organising of such competitions?

    Hypothetically, can one easily create a website and attract entries with submission fees, and then select "bogus winners"?
    i agree as well. perhaps... between the judges and organizer... there was some miscommunication. technically TS' photos are better... but might not have gelled with the judges's interpretation of the contest.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    I understand that this is a competition and it's very subjective when it comes to the results. But a blur picture being in top 3?? They are so not good to a point that I have to show u guys these pictures. Just for your entertainment. lol.
    Passion for Photography

  10. #30
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    I understand that this is a competition and it's very subjective when it comes to the results. But a blur picture being in top 3?? They are so not good to a point that I have to show u guys these pictures. Just for your entertainment. lol.
    not really a blur picture, but rather a tightly cropped image i would say.

    anyway personally, your images dont show that it's "happiness in nature" in any way to me

    just my 2
    eat. drink. shoot

  11. #31

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    I checked out their site and errrr dont know but it looks quite dodgy to me... I mean... it is a really unprofessional looking website... wrong grammar, spelling mistakes, claims but no prove... and they are not even in Singapore... only one guy has a Singapore number the other two are Indian numbers.... Not surprised it a scam..

  12. #32

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    So, the snake is laughing with happiness when it opens it's mouth?

    The competition is of very low quality. The judges are not photographers.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Not surprised it a scam..
    yah, the site is very "suspicious" could be a scam. say bye bye to your $10. less double quarter pounder meal for the op.
    Objection !!!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    I understand that this is a competition and it's very subjective when it comes to the results. But a blur picture being in top 3?? They are so not good to a point that I have to show u guys these pictures. Just for your entertainment. lol.
    understand.

    you do have to be careful when submitting photos to competitions.

    T&C is one thing, also, when requiring entry fee, you must look at previous winners, see if the organisers are simply being legit or just organising a competition to hang accolades on their own khakis. it does happen, fyi.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    join those reputable competition .. like ipa

  16. #36

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    it's important to know that the standard of judging or the judging criteria can vary wildly from one competition to another. and not every competition strives to have truly 'world-class' images.

    when entering images for a competition, one needs to pay careful attention to the theme and the objectives of that competition. in addition, a little fact-finding as to the judging standards and the past winners, could help one understand what the judges and the competition are looking out for in a winning entry.

    case in point, have a look at this ongoing competition by RICOH. just check out the past winners....

  17. #37
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    1st pic: Right time, right moment.
    2nd pic: Er.. Seems like a snapshot??
    3rd pic: blurred..
    4th pic: Er.. Also seems like a snapshot??


  18. #38
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Are you serious these are top 3 pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    Recently I participated in a photography competition organised by Greenlight. The theme was "Happiness in nature" and I paid 10 bucks for it.

    Just now, I received the results from them and I was in total dismay. The so called top 3 pictures lack contrast and worse one of the pictures is blurred. Goodness.


    I have the feeling I was scammed.

    Here's the link.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/11425993...PL5tf3RoefrIQ#
    How can the crab be happy when it opens it claws and ready to attack? Oh, maybe, it is the photographer , he/she is looking at the dinner...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •