Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Prime Len for Travel Photography

Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulDogie View Post
    can anyone tell 18-135 better for travel or not ?
    aiyo i thought this has been repeated so many times...

it depends on what you shoot, ur style, ur tolerance for quality..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

I have got a Contax N24-85 for travel. Then I wanted Olympus OM 16/3.5, 21/3.5, 28/3.5 and 50/3.5 (adapted to EF). And till now, I am undecided with zoom or primes. So there is no answer to this question. Use whatever you want.

Bro...tell you ah...18-135mm good for travel. Then later you want to take photos in the city during walkabout in the evening and you find 18-135mm not up to task. Think think 50mm prime will do the trick then you add it to your arsenal. Later when you walk into a museum and suddenly you find 18-135mm is not wide enough in the 18mm end so maybe decided to get a 8mm UWA.

In the end you find that you bring along a big collection of lenses just for travel. Alamak so much hassle that holidays are no longer enjoyable. I ditch everything and just bring a pns. Solves my problem.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Bro...tell you ah...18-135mm good for travel. Then later you want to take photos in the city during walkabout in the evening and you find 18-135mm not up to task. Think think 50mm prime will do the trick then you add it to your arsenal. Later when you walk into a museum and suddenly you find 18-135mm is not wide enough in the 18mm end so maybe decided to get a 8mm UWA.

In the end you find that you bring along a big collection of lenses just for travel. Alamak so much hassle that holidays are no longer enjoyable. I ditch everything and just bring a pns. Solves my problem.
    great words!
    mylightedreams

what brand of PNS better ?

AIYO~!

better in terms of what??

weight?
    price?
    zoom?
    color?
    iso?
    funny effects such as fisheye etc?

there is no such thing as best... so you have to look at what are your requirements...

i am even satisfied with using my mum's old panasonic PnS, cos it just gets the job done...
    mylightedreams

my personal preferences: Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Sony NEX-3/5, Olympus PEN, (depending on your budget/personal style/etc.) there might be other good recommendations that i'm not familiar with.

good enough for me... i've brought the Canon 18-200 for travel before and i hardly use anything beyond 135mm, except for maybe taking animals (which i would not mind forgoing). most of my shots are within the 18-55 range of the kit lens, but then again if your personal style requires tele, 18-55 might not be enough range for you--if that's the case, pair the 18-55 with a 55-250. Alternatively, if you don't like to change lenses too often, get Canon's 18-135 / 18-200 or Tamron's 18-250, depending on your budget.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Hunter View Post
    Anyone use prime Len for their travel photography? I am thinking to buy a 50mm, 1.4 for my Korea trip in Oct and subsequently use it for general purpose. (Birthday party, gathering, etc)
    i used to travel with a Contax G2 with 28/35/90 lens ............. 28mm was favorite companion most times
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I just came back from a 4days free and easy trip to Phuket. Using a DSLR is really no fun. I brought along a lightweight Nikon D60 (model discontinued) with a 18-55mm + 35mm prime + 55-200mm. There's also spare batteries to bring, ND filters, flash, chargers and AA rechargeable for flash.

I dumped 55-200mm in the hotel as I find it is really useless. Everywhere I went was either water sports related or weather related. Rain and I can't use the camera. Canoeing and you can't bring it out without the fear of getting it wet especially out at sea. Take shots in the city? The place is so messy that it is difficult to frame a shot. In the end take landscape shots which the 18-55mm lens comes in handy and it was my good traveling companion.

My friend used a Nikon L19 pns. Cheap and good and it takes beautiful shots whereas my setup looked like a fool. Why? I for one is already a grandpa and sitting in a canoe and holding a DSLR is so cumbersome. I can't even get the horizon level with the canoe rocking from side to side.

So it depends how comfortable you are with cameras. Some people don't experience the problems I faced as we may not be in the same age group. To get a pns, choose one that sits comfortably in your hands without it sliding out when your palms are wet. In this case, different people have different finger size and the model that suit me may not suit you. Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

I'm intending to rent a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX (C) for my trip to Hokkaido - Tokyo - London - Amsterdam - Paris - Barcelona - Madrid, even though I already have Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

I will only bring the Tokina and leave my Tamron behind coz I only want to bring 1 lens for my 7D. Any opinions?

Sorry that these are not Prime lens.

There are various prime lens for various usage during travel.

Quote Originally Posted by catalystanalyst View Post
    I'm intending to rent a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX (C) for my trip to Hokkaido - Tokyo - London - Amsterdam - Paris - Barcelona - Madrid, even though I already have Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

I will only bring the Tokina and leave my Tamron behind coz I only want to bring 1 lens for my 7D. Any opinions?

i will bring both since it doesn't overlaps each other... i dun like the idea everything wide (especially on people, i find anything below 35mm too wide for people ~ single people). sometimes i need non wide too.

I just came back from a 4days free and easy trip to Phuket. Using a DSLR is really no fun. I brought along a lightweight Nikon D60 (model discontinued) with a 18-55mm + 35mm prime + 55-200mm. There's also spare batteries to bring, ND filters, flash, chargers and AA rechargeable for flash.

I dumped 55-200mm in the hotel as I find it is really useless. Everywhere I went was either water sports related or weather related. Rain and I can't use the camera. Canoeing and you can't bring it out without the fear of getting it wet especially out at sea. Take shots in the city? The place is so messy that it is difficult to frame a shot. In the end take landscape shots which the 18-55mm lens comes in handy and it was my good traveling companion.

My friend used a Nikon L19 pns. Cheap and good and it takes beautiful shots whereas my setup looked like a fool. Why? I for one is already a grandpa and sitting in a canoe and holding a DSLR is so cumbersome. I can't even get the horizon level with the canoe rocking from side to side.
    I don't usually laugh at someone's expense but that was pretty funny.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by catalystanalyst View Post

The Tokina is close to being a prime anyway, good lens!
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by catalystanalyst

You will enjoy this lens as it is great for taking photos of European architecture and landscape. The 11-16 is also good for taking photos of people discreetly by placing your camera at waist level. However may I suggest that you bring your tamron too for times where it is not possible to go close to your subjects eg: tour bus going pass something interesting, museum staff who are uncomfortable with you poking your camera so near an artifact.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by Light Hunter View Post
    Look like most people using 35mm or below instead of 50mm for their travel photography
    Maybe I should do more research before decide on 50mm or 30mm for my trip and family event. Forumemer, any comment?
    I use 60mm.

and 135mm...

May consider 24mm or 35mm if only 1 prime.
    I brought full gears 35,50,85,16-35,28-75,70-200..etc
    At the end usage of 16-35mm (95%) ,35 and 50 share the balance.Others just join the trip..
    Thinking may get a x100 or epl2+17mm as combo with 16-35 for next trip.
    Lazy to change lens...
    happy shooting

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345